• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Airlines pay in training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Applications for the current round of hiring topped 6000. They're hiring ~260. When they have 500 apps, and they need 1000, we'll see about the type rating. Personally, I think it was a great investment in my career, and will surely have a greater ROI than putting it in the market. Plus, it's a big azz tax deduction, which basically helped me net zero.

4A yr degree means you are investing in a whole person, not some dungeon and dragons basement troll who happens to be an OK stick, but may have the people skills of a boblehead doll.

It proves you'll stick to something and not diverge on a whim. It means you're smart enough to know, never screw up this for the most part simple and easy job.

First year First Officers that fly open time that exceeds their original line total for the month will be paid at second year rates for all open time, plus any applicable premium associated with the open time.

Can you please explain this? What does "open time that exceeds their original line total for the month" mean?

Thanks

Can you please explain this? What does "open time that exceeds their original line total for the month" mean?

Thanks

It means that if your awarded line pays, say, 91.5 tfp, then anything you pick up from the company that brings your line total above 91.5 tfp pays second year rates. It used to be without qualification, that any pickup from company open time was second year pay, but now it has to above your orig line total. That's to keep you from giving away your line (or parts of it), then picking up "replacement trips" from the company, and scoring a bunch of higher pay for the same amount of work. Clear as mud now?

Bubba

It means that if your awarded line pays, say, 91.5 tfp, then anything you pick up from the company that brings your line total above 91.5 tfp pays second year rates. It used to be without qualification, that any pickup from company open time was second year pay, but now it has to above your orig line total. That's to keep you from giving away your line (or parts of it), then picking up "replacement trips" from the company, and scoring a bunch of higher pay for the same amount of work. Clear as mud now?

Bubba

Yes, that does make sense, except what if you are a reserve pilot? Do you have to actually fly above guarantee for the month before that second year pay kicks in? Say guarantee is 87 hours for the month and you don't fly much on reserve, say 50 hours, and you pick up a turn worth 6 hours. Since you didn't exceed guarantee of 87 hours that month, that 6 hour turn is paid at 1st year pay and time and a half? And do those 6 hours of time and a half go above guarantee of 87? So you would be paid 93 hours, 6 of which is at first year time and a half?

Thanks for the clarification. I'm trying to understand some of this stuff before I start worrying about memory items, call outs and flows :)

Yes, that does make sense, except what if you are a reserve pilot? Do you have to actually fly above guarantee for the month before that second year pay kicks in? Say guarantee is 87 hours for the month and you don't fly much on reserve, say 50 hours, and you pick up a turn worth 6 hours. Since you didn't exceed guarantee of 87 hours that month, that 6 hour turn is paid at 1st year pay and time and a half? And do those 6 hours of time and a half go above guarantee of 87? So you would be paid 93 hours, 6 of which is at first year time and a half?

Thanks for the clarification. I'm trying to understand some of this stuff before I start worrying about memory items, call outs and flows :)

No

If your reserve line guarantee is 86 TFP. You are at your line guarantee, even if you do not fly one day on reserve . Everything you pick up is at second year pay .

The reason for the line guarantee is so a pilot will not just give a way his whole line, and get paid everything he flys at second year pay .

While on reserve, stuff picked up in addition (from whatever source) is considered separately. If your guarantee is 87 hours, and you only fly 50 during those assigned reserve days, then you're still paid for 87 of reserve, and then whatever you've flown on other days is added to it. If you picked up that turn from another pilot, then you are paid 6 more hours of normal, 1st year pay for a total of 93 of 1st year pay. If you pick it up from the company, then you're paid 6 hours of 2nd year pay on top of 87 hours of 1st year pay, which obviously is more.

Since there's a big jump from 1st to 2nd year pay ($50.17 to $84.75), 2nd year pay is actually more than time-and-a-half of 1st year pay.

Finally, your pay rate is for the "trip-for-pay," or tfp, which is less than a block hour. And currently, reserve guarantee minimum is always 6 tfp per day, so a reserve line is always a multiple of 6. It's currently 15 days (90 tfp) for a 30 or 31 day month, and 14 days (84 tfp) for a 28 or 29 day month (February). To find your equivalent "hourly" rate, multiply your pay rate by 1.17.

Good luck and enjoy training!

Bubba

4A yr degree means you are investing in a whole person, not some dungeon and dragons basement troll who happens to be an OK stick, but may have the people skills of a boblehead doll.

LOL.... I'll bet that the vast majority of AB Capts. (who typically have bobblehead people skills) have (at least) 4 year degrees.

It proves you'll stick to something and not diverge on a whim. It means you're smart enough to know, never screw up this for the most part simple and easy job.

I've known plenty of folks with 4 year (and more) degrees who (apparently) weren't smart enough to not screw up this "easy" job.

There is nothing about this job that requires a 4 year degree, except maybe to get a backup gig when furloughed, etc. Heck, the type rating, arguably, might even be more valuable in this regard.

GL,

Exactly what training is SWA allowed to omit/curtail because of possession of a type rating. The type is no different than requiring a degree or ATP.

As for your assumptions on future delta hiring, how about a comparison of how many ex-delta already on SWA property?

Last edited:
GL,

Exactly what training is SWA allowed to omit/curtail because of possession of a type rating. The type is no different than requiring a degree or ATP.

Unfortunately you won't get an answer. He's already tucked tail and run the other way.

I'm still waiting for him to tell me how much his college degree cost.

He'll be back in about two weeks with the same old BS post he's had for about 5 years now. Never....I mean NEVER adds anything new.

Latest resources

Back