• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Airlines pay in training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Really dude?? That was so last contract. Guessing ya ain't junior are ya? :confused:

Don't confuse seniority with longevity

I'm lower middle of the road after 7+ years out west here in Vegas-
But yeah- it's been a little bit since 1st year -
And yeah, thanks bubba- my thoughts exactly- nothing here is worse now than when I got here -(even if we're still sorting out open time issues) you ought to make an adult wage here if you can work just a bit more

Don't confuse seniority with longevity

I'm lower middle of the road after 7+ years out west here in Vegas-
But yeah- it's been a little bit since 1st year -
And yeah, thanks bubba- my thoughts exactly- nothing here is worse now than when I got here -(even if we're still sorting out open time issues) you ought to make an adult wage here if you can work just a bit more

Not if the person is stuck on reserve. Really puts the screws on making any extra money.

That was my situation and I commuted from Orange County to Vegas and had my own business- Just a turn or two day- now I have 13-14 days off on pairings that don't wreck you fatigue wise

Commuting from the east coast to reserve would suck

Which is why reserve is a big contractual issue for us

We can't do that to pilots for years on end

What's your point? If he's "not junior," then first and second pay rates are even higher now, and you can still get second year pay in your first year by picking up extra from the company. A new guy ought to be able to make even more now than Wave did his first year, by picking up extra.

Bubba

They only get second year pay after they fly their original line. Very hard to do while on reserve.

Explain to me how that's different?

Unless you're naive enough to think one could drop a reserve pairing consistently-

It's slightly less- but first year pay is now more

My point is still it's fairly easy to make $70k in year 1
Let's call it $60k then though and be glad it's more decent than others

Unless you're naive enough to think one could drop a reserve pairing consistently-

Unless you are a first year lineholder, which used to be fairly common, you could give away as much of your line as possible and pick up new trips at second year pay. I believe that was the reason for the change in the contract, some guys weren't quite following the intent. Kind of like dropping your 3 day into ELITT then picking it back up at time and a half, but that's ok. :rolleyes:

Not sure FOs have had that kind of movement to be able to do that anytime recently-
But I hear you

I get the point you're trying to make, and I realize arguing with someone that's posted on a forum 20K times is pointless, but SWA does NOT require PFT. In fact, they pay you over $1200 a week while in training.

What they require is a type rating. A rating which many people get through military, scholarships, and previous employers. This rating is YOURS, and has helped many get jobs flying BBJs and overseas airlines.

PFT was used in the mid-late 90's by regionals who required $10-12K to be trained with nothing to show but an FO slot on a turboprop.

Every SWA pilot I know, except for one, has a college degree, and he has a 2-year. We'll see how picky mighty DAL is about degrees when they need 80 newhires every month.

Most of them will be the bottom 1/3 of your list, sick and tired of certain stagnation. And, quit it with the BS. If you don't have the type and are hired, you have to pay to get one. That is pay for training. DL also pays during training, but no type required to start or pay for. Big difference, and you know it pal....

Bye Bye---General Lee

What is the Furlough Pay at Delta?

You guys actually have a better chance at that than any of the legacies. Each legacy has 5000 retirements in the next decade, vs your 100-200 per year. You may want to have a resume ready....

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest resources

Back