• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Airlines pay in training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bubba- then why make it a requirement? Not flaming... Truly curious... If it it's all the same the. Why make Simone pay for their own type rating? To prove they want the job bad enough? I guess I just don't get it... What a waste of time and money... For a type rating...

You answered your own question .

I agree, it should go away .

Bubba- then why make it a requirement? Not flaming... Truly curious... If it it's all the same the. Why make Simone pay for their own type rating? To prove they want the job bad enough? I guess I just don't get it... What a waste of time and money... For a type rating...

I suspect, as Slaquer said, that the answer is exactly as you suggested in your question--that it was to ensure that applicants really wanted the job. I agree that it's unnecessary, but I'm not in charge of that. I believe it will go away eventually, especially, when/if this pilot shortage that everyone keeps talking about shows up.

Bubba

As the others have said, it's a stupid requirement, that should go away. It doesn't save SW any training cost and has prevented a lot of great pilots from even applying.

It's ALMOST as stupid as requiring a 4 year degree....... to fly airplanes.

I get the point you're trying to make, and I realize arguing with someone that's posted on a forum 20K times is pointless, but SWA does NOT require PFT. In fact, they pay you over $1200 a week while in training.

What they require is a type rating. A rating which many people get through military, scholarships, and previous employers. This rating is YOURS, and has helped many get jobs flying BBJs and overseas airlines.

PFT was used in the mid-late 90's by regionals who required $10-12K to be trained with nothing to show but an FO slot on a turboprop.

Every SWA pilot I know, except for one, has a college degree, and he has a 2-year. We'll see how picky mighty DAL is about degrees when they need 80 newhires every month.

Don't try to rationalize it. The only thing every other airline requires is a degree and a logbook with experience......not a cheap way to make an applicant buy their job. No wonder the profits are so good, they put the burden of training on the applicants back.

As the others have said, it's a stupid requirement, that should go away. It doesn't save SW any training cost and has prevented a lot of great pilots from even applying.

It's ALMOST as stupid as requiring a 4 year degree....... to fly airplanes.

I agree with Tripower.....must be a full moon.

Don't try to rationalize it. The only thing every other airline requires is a degree and a logbook with experience......not a cheap way to make an applicant buy their job. No wonder the profits are so good, they put the burden of training on the applicants back.

Actually, amongst the major airlines, I believe that it's ONLY Delta that requires a degree. Go figure.

Bubba

Yep, pretty dumb....I agree.

But the history of it made sense. It thinned the herd, unlike somebody with 8 grand in their pocket looking to save the company some money runs with a type in hand.

At least the degree can be used later in life or if a medical issue creeps up. A 737 type can do what for you again? Remind me.....

Yep, pretty dumb....I agree.

But the history of it made sense. It thinned the herd, unlike somebody with 8 grand in their pocket looking to save the company some money runs with a type in hand.

At least the degree can be used later in life or if a medical issue creeps up. A 737 type can do what for you again? Remind me.....

As has already been mentioned, it doesn't actually save the company any money. It's exactly like you described Delta's degree requirement--it thinned the herd.

Bubba

P.S. By the way, perhaps it's your company trying to save a little money. You know, requiring the degree in case "a medical issue creeps up," and the pilot needs another job. Nice of management to be concerned. Southwest covers that by giving Loss of License insurance. :)

Wow....a negotiated benefit!!

I would rather have my union negotiate a retirement plan or B fund contribution than a small outlay for a plan Harvey Watt or even ALPA provides.....but hey, that's just me.

We done unit measuring Bubba?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back