• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Airlines pay in training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
P.S. By the way, perhaps it's your company trying to save a little money. You know, requiring the degree in case "a medical issue creeps up," and the pilot needs another job. Nice of management to be concerned. Southwest covers that by giving Loss of License insurance. :)

I can't believe that people still buy their jobs at Delta! What do they charge for a PFT, 4 year degree nowadays? ;)

Wow....a negotiated benefit!!

I would rather have my union negotiate a retirement plan or B fund contribution than a small outlay for a plan Harvey Watt or even ALPA provides.....but hey, that's just me.

We done unit measuring Bubba?

Just yanking your chain a little in jest, Bill. Didn't you notice the little smiley face?

By the way, did you notice that this was actually a thread about how new guys to Southwest get paid in initial training, and somebody (<ahem> General Lee) turned it into another SWA-bash, ala PFT. Funny how that happens, isn't it?

Bubba

Bubba- then why make it a requirement? Not flaming... Truly curious... If it it's all the same the. Why make Simone pay for their own type rating? To prove they want the job bad enough? I guess I just don't get it... What a waste of time and money... For a type rating...

Herb wanted pilots who were invested
Who took a risk

It probably will go away sometime but I find it funny that pilots who actually work here and paid for the type don't resent it as much as the rest of you-

It's not fun- but we do want people who want to work here

Herb wanted pilots who were invested
Who took a risk

It probably will go away sometime but I find it funny that pilots who actually work here and paid for the type don't resent it as much as the rest of you-

It's not fun- but we do want people who want to work here

I work here, and think it's a ridiculous requirement......

But.........

It was, by far, the best investment I've made in my career. Far more valuable than my degree from an accredited college or the 4 other types and FE rating that I have. Those were "paid" for with 10 years of ridiculously low wages and non existent QOL.

FWIW, I just got home from a straight pay 4 day that paid $2154 less than the cost of my type rating. the first day and a half of my next trip will cover the rest.

Right there with you Trip
Well said

Except it takes me a couple of 3 days to pay for mine

Wow....a negotiated benefit!!

I would rather have my union negotiate a retirement plan or B fund contribution than a small outlay for a plan Harvey Watt or even ALPA provides.....but hey, that's just me.

We done unit measuring Bubba?

Listen dough head, our LOL pay is exceptional. I'd still make more than you to stay home and golf. You have no clue what you are talking about.

Aww Canyon,

You get dropped as a baby?

We're just discussing stuff. Like Bubba said, smiley faces and whatnot. Of course you make more than me because you told me so.....

Well good for you guys...really. If you have the attitude that it is an investment, and you got a good return, then you should be satisfied, no question there.

I am so glad the rest of the chimps in airline management never followed SWAs lead. That would be a slippery slope for this industry if everybody had to bring their own type to the game. Where was SWAPA when all this went down?

Well good for you guys...really. If you have the attitude that it is an investment, and you got a good return, then you should be satisfied, no question there.

Everything I did prior to getting a major was an investment in my career. It began when I got my first job at the airport washing airplanes.

NOBODY but SW was hiring in the early to mid '90's, so after several years of deliberation, I took the chance and bought the type, interviewed, and got hired. My ONLY regret is not doing it sooner, which might've saved me a few years of misery in the commuters and night freight world.

I am so glad the rest of the chimps in airline management never followed SWAs lead. That would be a slippery slope for this industry if everybody had to bring their own type to the game.

As I said earlier, like the 4 year degree, it is a ridiculous requirement for an airline pilot, especially since it doesn't save the company any training costs (maybe there's an insurance savings?), and should go away.

Where was SWAPA when all this went down?

Probably fishing with Herb.

Everything I did prior to getting a major was an investment in my career. It began when I got my first job at the airport washing airplanes.

NOBODY but SW was hiring in the early to mid '90's, so after several years of deliberation, I took the chance and bought the type, interviewed, and got hired. My ONLY regret is not doing it sooner, which might've saved me a few years of misery in the commuters and night freight world.

As I said earlier, like the 4 year degree, it is a ridiculous requirement for an airline pilot, especially since it doesn't save the company any training costs (maybe there's an insurance savings?), and should go away.

Probably fishing with Herb.

All true.....point taken.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back