• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Skyrunner

Dark side of Pikes Peak
Howdy Ya'll,

I got a question? Why doesn't Southwest fly into DIA? Besides being cost prohibitive, is there anything else that may be or have been a factor in Southwest's decision not to fly into Denver? Any rumors of why?

Take care and fly safe,

SR - Livin' near Denver and wondering why.

Southwest used to have service to Denver, but they quickly found out how hard it was for them to maintain a schedule due to extensive delays. In other words, the same reasons they don't fly into NYC, ATL, DFW, MSP, MIA or BOS.

There was some discussion on this subject on another thread some time ago.

Click here for this previous thread.

SWA in DEN

Iron Egale said:
Southwest used to have service to Denver, but they quickly found out how hard it was for them to maintain a schedule due to extensive delays. In other words, the same reasons they don't fly into NYC, ATL, DFW, MSP, MIA or BOS.
A problem with their kind of schedule. I don't believe that delays at the new DIA are as bad as the old Stapleton, but the snow and ice in the winter can wreak havoc on Southwest's 20-minute turn structure.

I used to work for DL there and I swear they had 2 gates on the C concourse.

Maybe they cancelled it.

I recently asked this question of a good friend at SWA . He said that SWA goes by the old dictum, "dump on me once, shame on you; dump on my twice, shame on me." The company doesn't believe that the politicians/ beaurocrats in Denver treated SWA right the first time, and since SWA has no shortage of potential desitinations, they just don't care to go to DIA. This is in addition to the obvious reasons that have already been detailed here.

regards,
8N

Denver politicos

enigma said:
I recently asked this question of a good friend at SWA . He said that SWA goes by the old dictum, "dump on me once, shame on you; dump on my twice, shame on me." The company doesn't believe that the politicians/ beaurocrats in Denver treated SWA right the first time, and since SWA has no shortage of potential desitinations, they just don't care to go to DIA. This is in addition to the obvious reasons that have already been detailed here.
I wasn't living in Denver at the time, but I know who was mayor. What you say does not surprise me in the least. Moreover, Denver has been United country for a great many years. Denver has hosted United's training center for years and United exerted great influence over DIA's design. I believe that United inspired the ill-fated automated baggage handling machinery. Now look at where United's headed. Ironic.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back