• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Insurance rates

PseudoName said:
I agree. It's all about GREED!!!

On another note, have any of the airlines looked into the increased insurance rates on their aircraft when pilots over 60 fly??

I know on the corporate side, our insurance rates rise dramatically from age 60 to 70. After 70, it's too cost prohibitive to allow them to fly.

Just checked with our accounting dept./CP and there is absoulutely nothing in the insurance contract that reflects on older pilots period. We have several pilots who are over 60+ and there are no penalties imposed. Perhaps you need a new insurance carrier. I cannot speak to the +70 issue. maybe for recreational pilots this would be a true statement. Can you expand on this subject and cite some actual numbers for us, say for a GV Capt.?

Somebody ought to call NetJets and let them know about this issue, so they can adjust their hiring to a lower age group.

Big Beer Belly said:
Despite all the bluster from the old geezer crowd, this bill is DOA. Congress will defer to the FAA's recommendation which is to keep age 60 retirement in place.

FoxHunter will soon be "Wheelchair Hunter"! <g>

Just like they did with TCAS.:)

Let me try to figure out this thread. Some of the pilots here are upset that they may have five more years to make a living for their families? What am I missing?:confused:

Flying Freddie said:
Let me try to figure out this thread. Some of the pilots here are upset that they may have five more years to make a living for their families? What am I missing?:confused:

There are ~8000 furloughed pilots that will get an additional few years to watch from the sidelines if this effort succeeds.

Flying Freddie said:

Dear Confused,

Go do something worthwhile with your few remaining years before you push up the daisies! It's a sad testament that your whole ego is wrapped up in your job. Open your eyes Freddie and imagine yourself lying on your death bed wishing you had done something other than flying a tube another day.

Trust me, some young furloughed father trying to support his small children will thank you for not being greedy! You've benefitted long enough with the current rule, so gracefully slide your old wrinkled fanny out of the seat for the last time and go do something else.

Hope this clears up your confusion! <g>

BBB

Dear Belly,

I not only was one of the furloughed from 9-11, I have spent over six years of my career being one of those furloughed pilots you talk about. Next, you need to get some anger management help.

I have many years left, I was just asking a question and you showed why folks like you should not be flying at any age.

Five years helps everyone. Please see your chaplain for some direction. Thank you and have a nice evening.

Big Beer Belly said:
Dear Confused,

Go do something worthwhile with your few remaining years before you push up the daisies! It's a sad testament that your whole ego is wrapped up in your job. Open your eyes Freddie and imagine yourself lying on your death bed wishing you had done something other than flying a tube another day.

BBB

How rude!

I saw a study many years ago on the average death age of airline pilots. Good subjects for a test since we are healthy and have frequent physicals. I don't remember the details, but the gist was that night/international flying takes many years off your life, and, as a group, "healthy" pilots on average died alarmingly young. I would think the benefits of flying a senior guy longer would be quite clear to those companies paying certain pensions, medical benefits, etc. and save them significant cash. Maybe some furloughed guy, now an actuary, could elaborate.

They would be more than happy to fly you to death. Just keep asking for it.

Flying Freddie said:
Dear Belly,

I not only was one of the furloughed from 9-11, I have spent over six years of my career being one of those furloughed pilots you talk about. Next, you need to get some anger management help.

I have many years left, I was just asking a question and you showed why folks like you should not be flying at any age.

Five years helps everyone. Please see your chaplain for some direction. Thank you and have a nice evening.

Anger management? LOL! Freddie ... there's more to life than flying airplanes. I repeat that I find it sad that people like you apparently are so hung up with your job that you are blinded to this concept. To some (apparently like yourself ... based on what YOU said about your desire to work more years to earn more money) the accumulation of wealth/material possessions is the end-all of one's purpose here. I fail to see how this is an "angry "concept, but I'll accept that you find it so.

As far as religion ... well, I'm pretty sure you don't want to hear my feelings on that either. Cheer up Freddie ... often the tone of one's message is poorly relayed on a message board out of concern for brevity.

BBB

BBB has a few good pts. Five years only helps the few and not very many-especially at the regional level. Hopefully we will be able to vote on this and see what the majority wants....

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back