• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Air eyes acquisition as economy slows

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
do you REALLY think NWA, who has kept SWA out of MSP for how long now, will allow Sun Country to be bought by SWA? NWA has all the MN politicians in its pocket.

If Sun Country were attainable, SWA would have bought it up last time it got sold (quite recently), or FAR earlier.

This is not even remotely possible unless the DAL/NWA merger happens.

Are you that dumb or did your mamma drop you on your head? Of course they can sell and are actively seeking a benefactor but they have very little to offer save a few big airport slots.

Are you that dumb or did your mamma drop you on your head? Of course they can sell and are actively seeking a benefactor but they have very little to offer save a few big airport slots.

And six gates at the non-crowded terminal in an metropolitan area that has about two million people who are begging for low fare service.

My prediction is that if they buy anyone, it would be Sun Country.

GP

do you have the slightest idea how much pull NWA has up there? obviously not.

Sun Country could sell. but it will not be to SWA, unless NWA merges and loses its clout.

Last edited by a moderator:
dude, are you serious? look into the internal politics of MSP and tell me who was dropped on who's head. do you have the slightest idea how much pull NWA has up there? obviously not.

Sun Country could sell. but it will not be to SWA, unless NWA merges and loses its clout.

Every Progressive big name politician I know of would love to have more competition for NWA. That is why they spent so much on the Humphrey and have the rent set so low. NWA is just really good at leveraging their monopoly everything from Frequent flier miles to direct flights to just about everywhere. Heck Duluth, with Oberstar's help, has paid millions to try and get other carriers to fly out of there so they have other options than MSP. American Eagle tried for a year; took the million to cover their loss and never came back. People even SWA can't yet compete with their williness to lose millions just to keep some crappy Crj route.......That will change dramatically with a merger.

Every Progressive big name politician I know of would love to have more competition for NWA. That is why they spent so much on the Humphrey and have the rent set so low. NWA is just really good at leveraging their monopoly everything from Frequent flier miles to direct flights to just about everywhere. Heck Duluth, with Oberstar's help, has paid millions to try and get other carriers to fly out of there so they have other options than MSP. American Eagle tried for a year; took the million to cover their loss and never came back. People even SWA can't yet compete with their williness to lose millions just to keep some crappy Crj route.......That will change dramatically with a merger.

my man, you just made my point...nothing will loosen NWA's hold on MSP, including any invasion by SWA....except a merger!!

Wouldn't it be something if after a DAL/NWA merger, SWA conducts a two front war on the newly merged company? ATL and MSP.....

In other words, SWA is looking for a dance-partner. The PR about picking up scraps is just lip-service.

If DAL/NWA hook up, along with a couple of other legacy's, that's a serious reduction in capacity. And quite a bit of power.

hmmmm.....

I LOVE watching this!

do you REALLY think NWA, who has kept SWA out of MSP for how long now, will allow Sun Country to be bought by SWA?

I remember United saying the same thing about California and Denver.

USAir said the same thing about BWI, PHL and PIT.

Cactus said the same thing about PHX.

AA said it in LAX.

Do you see a trend here? MSP is not the low hanging fruit that Denver is............... yet.

Gup

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back