• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest 5 year...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So....your meal plan includes stealing an entire meals worth of food from the hotel?

and then boasting about it?

We should start a "How cheap is your pilot" thread. Minimum 10 pages.

I'll start.

We stay at a hotel that puts out complimentary plain and peanut M&M's in the lobby in huge dispensers. There are small plastic cups to fill up that fit about 10-15 pieces of candy. One of our pilots has on more than one occasion brought large ziploc bags with him and filled up one with the plain and the other with the peanut, while in uniform. On one occasion the front desk clerk saw this and asked what he was doing. He replied that his kids love these things so he brings them home to them. He was informed he can have one small cup. Last time I was at this hotel, the dispensers were gone.

What hotel do you stay at that you get free breakfast? Fairfield or Hampton inn? No hotel swa stays at has free breakfast that I am aware of.

No..my "meal plan" does not involve stealing food on a daily basis.

At breakfast I might grab a banana and yogurt here and there. Or a bagel and some cream cheese to eat later. I don't fill a sack with stuff...although I know people that do.

All the hotels we stay in provide breakfast of some sort, the international hotels provide veritable banquets while at the domestic hotels it's basically just continental breakfast and maybe some eggs.

Cheap?

I guess if you call a guy that spends $22.00 dollars for a hamburger and $8.00 a beer with a $55-60 tab for one meal "cheap" well...okay, that's an interesting definition.

Wait...I have to confess. I bought the hamburger because the Hot Dog was $23.00 and I couldn't justify the extra dollar. So, ya' I guess there is an element of thriftiness there. ( Yes, you read that right AV8R Bar and Grill , Sydney Australia...$23.00 for a frickin' Hot Dog! Or, try the $22.00 Burger at The Fly Inn Sheraton Hotel , Baku , Azerbaijan. Tasty! )

NOW....let's all re-read and try to comprehend the information in my above posts:

- Many days on the road I don't need to buy food due to work hours and copious amountsof chow being provided by company. Many of those days I couldn't buy food if I wanted too...I don't do domestic pax flying with terminals full of bad fast food choices. Doing turns to Afghanistan doesn't provide a lot of food options.

- IF I am on an extended layover and in the hotel for a day or so...I prefer getting some fresh foods at the local markets and preparing something in my room...I like to cook and I know what I'm eating.

- Other days It's fun to get out of the hotel and hit some great restaurants with the crew for some local fare.

- NONE of my food choices are based strictly on cost or being stingy...I simply eat what is healthiest, available, sounds good, is a decent value and fits in with the days activities.

$10.00 beers on the roof top bar in Dubai? Bring 'em on!

$100 steaks at Ruth's Chris in Hong Kong? Tasty.

$ 15 Chinese Delivery in CVG ? Nah. I'm headed across the street to the grocery store for a rotisserie chicken, some fresh veggies, and a salad that I can have for dinner and lunch the next day.

So to each his own...personally, I hate eating in restaurants and moving as a herd to find a lunch or dinner spot which is decided on by committee.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whatever, the original point of this thread ( I think ) was:

Per Diem can be considered a form of compensation. Just look at your W-2 ...it's listed right there under "Wages, tips, and other compensation".

Does it cover your expenses in a given city? Maybe, maybe not. That depends on where you are, what your schedule is, and what your choices and options are.

Many of you don't have crew meals and apparently stay in hotels that don't provide breakfast. I'm guessing then, on a 3 day pairing (unless you really skimp and starve) you are S.O.L as far as a domestic PD providing the means necessary to eat well. You are still being provided some compensation for the meals you do buy. If you choose to try and get by on less that's your choice. If you can't ...well, that's your choice also.

But it really is nobody's place to judge those choices either way.

Ya'll have a Good Day.

W.L. - OUT

Last edited:
One welcome change from the regionals are the lack of "bag eaters" at the majors. Always trying to track down a fridge for their room, eating 3 day old broccoli on the flight deck and locking themselves away each night because, "I've got to eat this food in my bag."

Granted, when they guy making 25k a year, I get it. But, I'd even offer to pick up the tab for a lot of guys - but they love their bag food.

Last edited:
Cheap ass pilots dragging their food bags around with them for days: reason #45 why I'm glad to be out of the airline business.

Cheap ass pilots dragging their food bags around with them for days: reason #45 why I'm glad to be out of the airline business.

I heard from one of your former coworkers that you were one of them. So it's not true?

Yet you are still here. Let it go Maverick. Go to the real estate forum. You have more in common there.

I can't resist...

What's wrong with a "Bag Eater" ?

Have we not all had that GF that enjoyed a nice "Sack Lunch" ?

God BLESS 'EM Say I ..... !!!

-------------------------------------------------------------

- "OH, HE'S GOING TO HELL FOR DAT ! "

- "MM-HMM ! "

- " DAMN RIGHT MY SISTER. DAMN RIGHT! "

:)

W.L.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back