• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest 5 year...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
An over reimbursement IF you don't use it. Many eat healthy for less than $10/day (except ALPA management, that is.)

If you're eating on less than $10/day, then I'd hate to see what sh!t you're eating.

Day 1:

Hotel Breakfast - Free

Lunch - Yogurt,Banana,Milk, PBJ sandwich. Free ( See above: "Breakfast" )

Dinner - ( bought at grocery store- prepared in Microwave)

- 1/2 roast chicken

- Steamed broccoli

- Fresh salad

---------------------
$ 7.00

---------------------

Day 2

Hotel Breakfast - Free.

Lunch - A/C Catering - Hoagie sandwich, salad, etc. Free.

Dinner - A/C Catering -Steak, pasta, vegetables, salad, etc. Free.

--------------------

$0.00

--------------------

Some variation of the above suffices in most cities.

You can eat fairly well and inexpensively on the road...unless you are either stupid , lazy, or all the above.

And no...McDonald's dollar menu is not an option.... just because you can eat krap for a buck a throw doesn't mean it's right.

My airline also has excellent catering and we can sometimes go for a few days without spending a cent on food.

My personal best was 5 days with no cost to me ...Followed by some nice dinners at Ruth's Chris etc. in Hong Kong, and still not spending all the previous 5 days P.D.

YMMV.

Whine

----------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. - I'm at home tonight and ordering pizza...$20.00.

No one is sending me a check for that next month. Looks like I'm out that $20...Oh, and another $43 I would have gotten in PD on the road. Oh, and another $40-$50 I could've written off my taxes next year.

I'll take a dollar of Per Diem over a dollar of ( taxable ) Direct Compensation... ANY time.

Last edited:
Still happy at SWA after 7 yrs. It's not for everyone and we don't get to sleep in bunk beds while on duty. I have never looked at friends at AA, DL, UAL or anyone and wished i could work there. NEVER! I also didnt worry that i was going to get laid off when an UA guy was facing the third furlough in 08.

Day 1:

Hotel Breakfast - Free

Lunch - Yogurt,Banana,Milk, PBJ sandwich. Free ( See above: "Breakfast" )

Dinner - ( bought at grocery store- prepared in Microwave)

- 1/2 roast chicken

- Steamed broccoli

- Fresh salad

---------------------
$ 7.00

---------------------

Day 2

Hotel Breakfast - Free.

Lunch - A/C Catering - Hoagie sandwich, salad, etc. Free.

Dinner - A/C Catering -Steak, pasta, vegetables, salad, etc. Free.

--------------------

$0.00

--------------------

Some variation of the above suffices in most cities.

You can eat fairly well and inexpensively on the road...unless you are either stupid , lazy, or all the above.

And no...McDonald's dollar menu is not an option.... just because you can eat krap for a buck a throw doesn't mean it's right.

My airline also has excellent catering and we can sometimes go for a few days without spending a cent on food.

My personal best was 5 days with no cost to me ...Followed by some nice dinners at Ruth's Chris etc. in Hong Kong, and still not spending all the previous 5 days P.D.

YMMV.

Whine

----------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. - I'm at home tonight and ordering pizza...$20.00.

No one is sending me a check for that next month. Looks like I'm out that $20...Oh, and another $43 I would have gotten in PD on the road. Oh, and another $40-$50 I could've written off my taxes next year.

I'll take a dollar of Per Diem over a dollar of ( taxable ) Direct Compensation... ANY time.

Yeah, that's still not compensation. You're just trading away convenience and good food for cheapness and pocketing expense reimbursement. The reality is that most airlines underpay for per diem. That's why you get a tax deduction for it at the end of the year.

" You're just trading away convenience and good food for cheapness and pocketing expense reimbursement."

( Oh Man...! )

Well, perhaps you are not familiar with some of the above:

- Good Food ?

Breakfast at most International Hotels resembles something like you'd find at a top class Vegas hotel ....Smoked salmon, fresh vegetables, numerous ethnic/regional dishes, standard American fare, eggs, omelettes, etc cooked to order, cakes, pastrys, juices, health foods, meats , cheeses etc. , etc., etc.

Our catering is generally NOT the plastic box krap that most airlines serve..Many times it is local restaurants that provide specific meals to our request or the airline's request.

- Cheapness ?

Well, hmm...a schedule has you report in the A.M. and a delicious breakfast is available. You fly throughout the day and evening and most people don't care to wander off the aircraft in search of food when enormous amounts and numerous choices of really good things are available in the chiller just behind them. ( Also, wandering in Afghanistan in War Zones is ill advised. )

So, when you get back to the Hotel at 10pm ....you haven't spent a Red Cent on chow...Leaving you all that much more for those tasty cold beverages. (!)

OR....you can hit the rack because it was a long day, and bank the cash for some really good dinners/beverages in a day or two.

It's all about priorities...

Good Luck to you in all your future endeavors Sir!

:)

WHine

Last edited:
That is not the point. We are paid per diet to compensate us for travel expenses incurred while at work. In many cases we are reimbursed at lower than the federal rate for those cities, and can expense the difference on our taxes. This is no different than if you were a corporate pilot with an expense account. Regardless of what you spend, that money is earmarked for a purpose and is not compensation by design.

People who consider it to be compensation are devaluing the profession. The last thing we want is for management to start considering per diem part of compensation.

"The last thing we want is for management to start considering per diem part of compensation."

CORRECT.

"People who consider it to be compensation are devaluing the profession."

Not entirely correct.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apples and Oranges

- Per Diem is INDIRECT Compensation.

- Wages/Salaries are DIRECT Compensation.

The two should never be mentioned in the same conversation as regards Total Compensation.

Pilot A at Airline X - Makes 90k annual wages and 5k in P.D.

Pilot B at Airline Z - Makes 85k annual wages and 10k in P.D.

Q - So, do they both make $95,000 / Year?

A - NO.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm too old and been doing this for too long to continue this discussion, so good luck to all.

Love,

Whine

Last edited:
Why are we even discussing this? I have always had more days off and made more money than a lot of my buddies at Legacies! Who cares about per diem!

Latest resources

Back