• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest 300 / 500 question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How does training go as far as sims? A few in each or mostly the 700 s. I forget how to drive my car after vacation, can't imagine switiching flight decks every day

As I recall, during initial I did one sim in the -300 and my LOFT in the -300. The other sims were in the -700.

On some trips, I've flown the -300,-500, and -700. You get used to it. Exactly like riding a bike, but a little different.

I'll pass on 30-minute turns, 5-6 legs per day, Lubbock and Islip layovers and 20 year upgrades. But thanks... Enjoy your knobs.

Here we go again.....

This is just like when you are out with friends in a group, and some uninvited moron interjects his "thoughts" and you all look at each other thinking "who the fvck is this?" Please refrain from posting on a SWA/AAI thread unless we ask for your input.

DOH! Yeah, brain fart......

The bottom line is that there's little warning when it gives up and it's not on VNAV path anymore. Most of the 300s will stay on path/speed like they're on rails. All you have to do is remember to pull the throttles to idle at TOD! The 700, not so much......
Dicko does what many of us do in the -700 (the only one we have of course).

When it goes into VNAV SPD for a profile descent then suddenly the banana is way past your crossing restriction and the speed is 10 kts high and climbing or it just gets confused and starts adding/subtracting power back and forth chasing the profile, we just go to LVL CHG and wait a minute or two. It usually figures itself out, reaches your crossing restriction a couple miles early, and is a lot smoother of a descent.

Tailwinds seem to screw it up pretty royally, no matter whether you've put your forecast winds into the box for your descent or not (I think we paid for the cheap version as well). I use LVL CHG and V/S a lot. They don't teach it, it's not in the standard profile, and I don't really care. It works, it's there, it's legal, so when the box gets confused, I use it.

For the other poster, autothrottles are nice most of the time, but guys forget how to fly smoothly without them and get really pissy when they're deferred (I usually end up offering to fly the leg). The big problem is that they can get you in trouble if you goof something up. There's been a couple accidents/incidents attributable to the autothrottles doing something and the crew just sitting there watching it like "What's it doing now?" Disconnect the damn things and fly the plane! (but I digress)

I agree with you Lear...im not a big fan of the autothrottles on descent. Also I wish more guys would use v/s to get back on the path. I love it when guys hit speed intervention or lvl change and spin the knob up 20 knots...then they say this thing is so rough as your coffee goes floating to the roof! :) Thats why I just hand fly a lot....gets the kernels antsy :) by the way I think the 300/500 hand flies better...when you find one that's not too bent!

Dicko does what many of us do in the -700 (the only one we have of course).

When it goes into VNAV SPD for a profile descent then suddenly the banana is way past your crossing restriction and the speed is 10 kts high and climbing or it just gets confused and starts adding/subtracting power back and forth chasing the profile, we just go to LVL CHG and wait a minute or two. It usually figures itself out, reaches your crossing restriction a couple miles early, and is a lot smoother of a descent.

Oh, I am quite familiar with how to fix the VNAV speed situation, since I get lots of practice. My hand is spring loaded to LVL CHG anytime the LNAV path is engaged, when that's not enough, it get's kicked off and CWS/speed brakes work even better.

My point was that the -300s, with their much less sophisticated systems and no AT, do a much better job staying on path than the '700s.

Did anyone mention the engines? Significant reduction in performance w/ respect to the -300/500 than the -700. The 22k vs. the 24k will severely limit your take-off atogs.

Latest resources

Back