Southwest 300 / 500 question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

wood pecker

How is the -300, 500, different from the 700?

I know it's same type but all we have access to is 700 stuff via our training site. I'm currently 71 so I have no clue on any of the 73 stuff.
Is navigation and all that fun stuff still like the 700?

I know it's same type but all we have access to is 700 stuff via our training site. I'm currently 71 so I have no clue on any of the 73 stuff.

They're not even close. Hard ball gauges, i.e. no maps, no auto throttles, to name a few. As far as the actual flying characteristics, they're fairly similar. Not too many folks left that get excited when a classic rolls up to the gate. Don't worry though, when you come for your transition training, you'll have about day of transition training to become an expert on the classics. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
They're not even close. Hard ball gauges, i.e. no maps, no auto throttles, to name a few. As far as the actual flying characteristics, they're fairly similar. Not too many folks left that get excited when a classic rolls up to the gate.

Very well put. Funny how time flies and technology gets better. The same was true about the 200s vs. 300s. Soon it will 700s vs. XYZ s

The -300 and -500 are the same as far as the pilots are concerned. The only difference is 15 pax seats and about 10' of length. However, from them to the -700 is vastly different. You know the -700 from your airline: glass, EFIS, full-up auto throttle and VNAV. The -300s, on the other hand, have round dials, no auto throttles, and no navigation moving map. They're as different from your full-up 717 as you can get, ie. your plane is a generation or so ahead of the -300.

In practical operation, we use VNAV in the -300, but you manipulate the throttles yourself. Also, the -300 throttles are direct linkage (cables and stuff), so there's more "tweaking" the throttles, and sometimes you see a split that you don't see in a -700. Also, surprisingly, a lot of pilots believe it's easier to get consistently smoother landings in the -300 over the -700. The mechs say it's because of a slightly different linkage bracing the main gear, and there's less "slop" in the -700, so that you're more likely to get the 'shudder' if you're even in even the slightest crab when you touchdown. I don't know about that, though; all my landings are greased on! :)

There's lots of other, less consequential differences, but most importantly, there's only one cupholder per pilot in the -300 instead of the two per pilot in the -700. Bummer.

Hope this helps,
Bubba

No autothrottles so the warning for that is the overspeed clacker when you level off after climb and the stick shaker when you level after idle descent.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back