• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest 300 / 500 question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Maybe if there were more of the old, 1970's 737's flying around, you could get out of your RJ.

Those switches and knobs and buttons are really tricky. It's very scary piloty stuff.

I'll pass on 30-minute turns, 5-6 legs per day, Lubbock and Islip layovers and 20 year upgrades. But thanks... Enjoy your knobs.

I'll pass on 30-minute turns, 5-6 legs per day, Lubbock and Islip layovers and 20 year upgrades. But thanks... Enjoy your knobs.

Actually its 10 min turns and 13 - 27 legs a day. Not sure why everyone thinks we only fly 5. I have done 3 MDW LAX turns in one day then still have to repaint the A/C during my layover.

PS Do not believe the rumors about the pay either. I would love to see what you think someone at SWA makes and how many days off they have if you exaggerate everything by X2.5

Last edited:
Ohhh yea.. and the temp control for the cockpit sucks.. never cools off in the summer, and in the winter it gets COLD up front and there is not much you can do about it.. (auto all the way up to no avail , and MAN will trip a pack)

hint.. turn off elect hydraulic pumps to help the changeover, helps keep the ACARS from dumping.

hint.. turn off elect hydraulic pumps to help the changeover, helps keep the ACARS from dumping.

Write down your times before you get on ground pwr- sometimes you'll have a kernel who thinks it's against the rules to turn them off first- and now and then it'll dump the times no matter what you do.

Are auto-throttles that important/pertinent? I've never used them, so it's an honest question.

Are auto-throttles that important/pertinent? I've never used them, so it's an honest question.

They're nice, in an addictive way, and important bc in smooth air they're better at maintaining for fuel- which is why mgmt turned them on- but not important for safety

you mean VNAV SPD, right?

DOH! Yeah, brain fart......

The bottom line is that there's little warning when it gives up and it's not on VNAV path anymore. Most of the 300s will stay on path/speed like they're on rails. All you have to do is remember to pull the throttles to idle at TOD! The 700, not so much......

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back