SouthernAir

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
747flyboy said:
I agree with all of that...except....I couldn't handle getting stuck out for up to 46 days and getting no overtime pay for the days "off" I had to miss. It happened two months in a row and I quit. 36 days the first time and 46 days the second time. Both times I had my bags packed and on my way to PANC and got a message from the airline not to get on the plane and to call the company. I put up with it twice and than told them f#%$ off.

I came from flying corporate jets though, PART 91, and I was used to the best schedules and almost triple the money with less than half the work,

Awesome bunch of crewmembers for sure though. Except a couple complete arrogant azzholes (1 check airmen who I'm sure you know, first name rhyms with DICK and thats what he is, other was an FE who is now at Focus), otherwise everyone I flew with was awesome. I now have some friends for life from SA. Four of which will be coming to my current company in or around September to fly corporate. They want to make low 6 figures and have a 2 week on/2 week off schedule now, they earned it.

Hmmmmmmmmmm. Velly, velly intellestink. This make gleat convrsatio alound bleakfast tabre in ANC. Tlying to tink out who ju be and who is leabink. Bette dan honoable closswold puzzre.

Edited for sperring.

Last edited:
ironspud said:
Hmmmmmmmmmm. Velly, velly intellestink. This make gleat convrsatio alound bleakfast tabre in ANC. Tlying to tink out who ju be and who is leabink. Bette dan honoable closswold puzzre.

Edited for sperring.

:MIRTH:

*wipes coffee off monitor*

747flyboy said:
I agree with all of that...except....I couldn't handle getting stuck out for up to 46 days and getting no overtime pay for the days "off" I had to miss. It happened two months in a row and I quit. 36 days the first time and 46 days the second time. Both times I had my bags packed and on my way to PANC and got a message from the airline not to get on the plane and to call the company. I put up with it twice and than told them f#%$ off.

I came from flying corporate jets though, PART 91, and I was used to the best schedules and almost triple the money with less than half the work, I also did it only to get type-rated, fly around the world in the Whale and build a bunch of time in that big b1tch.

Awesome bunch of crewmembers for sure though. Except a couple complete arrogant azzholes (1 check airmen who I'm sure you know, first name rhyms with DICK and thats what he is, other was an FE who is now at Focus), otherwise everyone I flew with was awesome. I now have some friends for life from SA. Four of which will be coming to my current company in or around September to fly corporate. They want to make low 6 figures and have a 2 week on/2 week off schedule now, they earned it.

And I heard that SA just bought 5 planes which will be coming on slowly over the next 1 1/2 years, who knows the truth though, its still the cargo industry.

Did you say your company was to start up in mid sept. I was just curious about that. Is that the same deal as CAT. If you don't mind me asking. What type of equipment will their be, schedules, etc. PM me with the details please.
27 driver

9 Months Upgrade? Hum? I'm curious as to how you came to those numbers. Could it be that you are expected to upgrade in 9 months at you current seniority?
How many Capt. are they going to need with their current staffing and expected growth? I know #5 is coming soon. Are there more expected?

You are making it sound like the growth to be expected will make everyone in the current seniority list captains in the next year and that they will double the seniority list within two years. I'm I reading this wrong?

If they are planing to make all their current seniority pilots into captains within a years time. Why are they hiring folks with low time (For the position I mean) when they buy their Types If they are not expected to remain as F/O's for a while?

Not discrediting you folks statements, just curious as to why they are not hiring exclusively experienced drivers that could assume this position within a year, versus folks that don't necessarily have the experience to go from lets say, 3000 hour regional pilot to B747 captain within 9 months even buying the type themselves?

Or are they upgrading out of seniority? WRITTEN BY DUMB PILOT

Not flame bait, just curious

It is what it is bro.......not much to flamebait there:confused:

Last edited:
mrvmo said:
9 Months Upgrade? Hum? I'm curious as to how you came to those numbers. Could it be that you are expected to upgrade in 9 months at you current seniority?
How many Capt. are they going to need with their current staffing and expected growth? I know #5 is coming soon. Are there more expected?

You are making it sound like the growth to be expected will make everyone in the current seniority list captains in the next year and that they will double the seniority list within two years. I'm I reading this wrong?

If they are planing to make all their current seniority pilots into captains within a years time. Why are they hiring folks with low time (For the position I mean) when they buy their Types If they are not expected to remain as F/O's for a while?

Not discrediting you folks statements, just curious as to why they are not hiring exclusively experienced drivers that could assume this position within a year, versus folks that don't necessarily have the experience to go from lets say, 3000 hour regional pilot to B747 captain within 9 months even buying the type themselves?

Or are they upgrading out of seniority? WRITTEN BY DUMB PILOT

Not flame bait, just curious

It is what it is bro.......not much to flamebait there:confused:

I just didn't want it to be interpreted as a "Dress Down" to individuals with 3-4 K with regional experience. This was not my intention. I was just curious as to why not more folks with tons of heavy time that are currently furlough are not jumping into this? The numbers sound more like a company operating in China (Where there in an incredible demand for pilots) and not a company in the country that has by far the most amount of experienced drivers available in the world. Hum?

ironspud said:

Edited for sperring.

Just ask about the FO who took zero sh1t from anyone, including Hartley.

Good luck.

27 driver said:
Did you say your company was to start up in mid sept. I was just curious about that. Is that the same deal as CAT. If you don't mind me asking. What type of equipment will their be, schedules, etc. PM me with the details please.
27 driver

PM'ed ya.

Last edited:
27 driver said:
27 driver

Hey 747,
I am also curious about that? Are your people planning on using the CAT certificate, or starting a 'new' operation?? Different equipment/management, etc?

You can PM me or I can give You my email, which ever.

nfinity8 said:
Thanks for the reply ironspud. Do you think there is any chance of Southern getting jumpseat privileges with anyone any time soon? I know most of the cargo airlines have aggreements...that's why it was a little surprising that Southern doesn't have any jumpseat privileges.

Southern Air is on the NWA J/S list. :)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back