• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SouthernAir

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sure ain't the old Southern thats for sure. No flying into dirt strips in Angola with some "Parts" on board.

coogebeachhotel said:
Sure ain't the old Southern thats for sure. No flying into dirt strips in Angola with some "Parts" on board.

Hey now, I represent that remark!! Angola wasn't the only place!!!

So nobody works their on this site. I should probably post this thread on the Majors site to get a response. They are getting 2 more B747's this year and hiring for them now. Would like to talk with someone who works their. Thx

There's a lot of us that work there on this site. Specifically, what do you want to know? There's a few threads recently that sum it all up pretty well. It's not a bad place to work. Some good, some bad things. But, it's the most fun I've ever had. Plus, where else can you go to upgrade on a 74 in 9 months?

I thought you may be gay with that "quote" underneath your message, but seeing that you are also a seminary student.......now I know it.:laugh:

I thought you may be gay with that "quote" underneath your message, but seeing that you are also a seminary student.......now I know it.:laugh:

Blah, blah, blah...... A man in a glass house should not throw stones... How are you recovering from the "Gerbil Incident" in Seoul this month? Did they get all of the pieces of it out??? :puke:

Now is this quote any better??? :p

I liked your old signature. Just remember, when you are as shallow as a puddle your waves can only move a leaf; but when you are as deep as the ocean your waves can move the tree.

Southern Air info ?????

Here is some of the basic facts on Southern. ...........

4 aircraft, all -200's freighters with the superior GE engines.

2 a/c on Korean Air flying Seoul - Inchon to Anchorage and the lower 48 and then return.

1 a/c on Cathay Pacific. This route goes Hong Kong-Dubai and Munich, Germany and return.

1 a/c on China Cargo. This a/c goes Shanghai to Anchorage and the lower 48 and then returns to Shanghai.

A/c #5 has been bought, delivered and is now in heavy acceptance check for an unknown customer contract.

On the crew side, not a bad place to work; not the best , but far from the worst. Training done at Aeroservice in Miami with Southern instructors.

And yes, some crewmembers are in the left seat after one year; upgrade is reasonably fast.

No pay in training, but $48.00 a day in perdiem and a hotel room until finished with IOE, then on the payroll.

A major pain right now is the 20 day on/11 day off schedule; however everybody does not fly a full 20 days on the road----a vast majority go home in 16 to 18 days. The pilot group is trying to get a 14 on/14 off schedule; the company has stated" we will look into it".

I have never been called out on my days off - the company respects days off.

The company puts crews in 5 star hotels everywhere we go, and full meal catering on all flights. All crewmembers are home based and everyone gets airline tickets to trip start destination and return to home base and 50% deadhead pay for the flight. You can keep all your airlines and hotel miles.

The management is friendly, courteous and always available; I have never had a hard time with any of the management, something very rare in this airline industry.

The pilot group - every outfit has some jerks and Southern is no different; there is a few around. The vast majority is former Southern Air Transport guys and a large group of former Emery,Polar/Atlas and Evergreen types.

All in all a good bunch to spend a trip with.

I am actually happy to be hear. I have always wanted to fly the meanest,baddest aircraft on the planet and I am - the mighty B-747.

If you want to fly junkyard jets, go to Kalitta, if you want to always worry about the next furlough, go to Evergreen and if you want to get into a union pissing contest and shoot the finger at everyone you see, go to the mess at Atlas/Polar.

Please do not attempt to paint me as a sunshine pump - I have my gripes like everyone else. I am stateing the straight facts.

Southern is not a bad place to be - not the best and far from the worst.

Best wishes.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back