• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Someone's gotta say it...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I do at least one 10hr turn on the slave ship(excel) at least a week. I averaged my 10hr turns for the last two years and came up with 2.74 <11 hours a week , and yes, I have dropped the f bomb when I needed it.

Second, When I on duty, I will do my part and make sure that I give every single owner the experience that they deserve. When I am duty my tie is tied, my shoes are shined, my shirt and pants are pressed. But If I choose to wear shorts, tshirts, sweats, running pants, that is my choice.

Don't take me the wrong way, Im not going to come in the lounge naked, nor am I going to dress up to come to a Lounge. You guys really need to relax and worry about something important.

I will wear my running pants and tshirt to every lounge proudly from now on. I have not and will not let another pilot tell me how to dress when I am off duty.

This thread is being taken places unintended by my original post (Now there's a surprise!). People may dress and represent themselves as they deem appropriate. That's strictly their business. Wear whatever you like, act however you like. My objection is to crewmembers who identify themselves as crewmembers by what they wear, or by what they say and who dress and or act inappropriately. We shouldn't drag our profession down. We have enough problems with the Lorenzo wanna-bees casting us as low-lifes without demeaning ourselves.

Someone responded that we can't fix stupid. However, if everyone tries to uphold our professional image, we will all be better off for it.

Last edited:
I like to make sure I'm in full tuxedo when I enter a lounge. As an update, I asked my husband what he wears. Answer: doesn't usually make the time slot, but wears dark jeans and a polo (if clean) or a t-shirt. Q: has he seen pilots wear anything inappropriate? A: Yes. Pilot just took off uniform shirt and wore tank top undershirt. I think that is the behavior MM is referring to.

Hey glass do you think njawife wears a full evening gown when she entered a lounge 10 years ago?
You're asking the wrong pilot. GR, TN, PK, and Griz saw me earlier this month :rolleyes: at an Embassy meeting. Feel free to ask their general impression of my appearance. I gathered (from the hugs) that it met w/their approval...;) Heeled boots, skirt, jacket. This is crazy for you guys to give me a hard time about clothes. Women usually like to dress up more than men, so this conversation isn't surprising. I think dark jeans will blend in just fine, but I'm now just hoping you guys even get to make it to the lounge. I didn't realize it was open such a short time. That's too bad as it is one of the few perks available to you while you're on tour. Considering how badly underpaid many frac pilots are, I'm sure the free food is appreciated.

The embassy doesn't have a lounge.

Actually the only one that does is SAT and TEB.

There is a reason for per diem.

The purpose of per diem is understood by all, but the reality is that many frac pilots are so underpaid that they too frequently find themselves relying on the per diem as income and looking for ways to cut corners financially. For some frac pilots a lounge spread is dinner. It shouldn't be that way, but it is.

You rather missed the point...:rolleyes: I was recently at a hotel in the midst of professionals. I was not overdressed and they were not under-dressed. No one in the crowd stood out or called attention to themselves by dress and/or behavior. It seems that business casual was the unspoken dress code which all adhered to and the atmosphere was relaxed but professional. That is the norm that is being advocated.

Those who defy convention raise eye-brows and detract from the professional image most pilots strive for. The same kind of conversation has taken place on the NJ board regarding footwear, missing ties, etc. It doesn't appear to be a widespread problem, but apparently it happens enough that some pilots have been compelled to raise the issue. I agree that a professional image is important. Those seeking professional compensation can help their cause by looking and acting the part. Good luck to all frac pilots seeking to raise the bar--you deserve it. NJW

Translation for dummies: (that's all of us)

The purpose of per diem is understood by all, but the reality is that many frac pilots are so underpaid that they too frequently find themselves relying on the per diem as income and looking for ways to cut corners financially. For some frac pilots a lounge spread is dinner. It shouldn't be that way, but it is.

This is wife's way creating an image of starving pilots and bolstering her idea that union ship is the only way to force all companies to pay more. How much more doesn't matter as long as it's more...until there are no pilots eating free food.

You rather missed the point...:rolleyes:

How one speaks with a fake British accent on a message board is beyond me but wife shows her mastery of English pomp and executes a 10 point snub with a cute little emoticon for flare.

I was recently at a hotel in the midst of professionals. I was not overdressed and they were not under-dressed. No one in the crowd stood out or called attention to themselves by dress and/or behavior. It seems that business casual was the unspoken dress code which all adhered to and the atmosphere was relaxed but professional. That is the norm that is being advocated.

What wife forgets to mention here is that she was at a meeting and not winding down a hard days work in a LOUNGE!!!

Those who defy convention raise eye-brows and detract from the professional image most pilots strive for. The same kind of conversation has taken place on the NJ board regarding footwear, missing ties, etc.

Here is a small taste of the contempt she has for lowlier beings than she. As her avatar clearly states, she has a husband who has flown an F-16 and therefore deserves great respect. She must be careful though not to cast too broad a net or she may alienate the very folks she seeks respect form.

It doesn't appear to be a widespread problem,

VERY NICELY DONE!

but apparently it happens enough that some pilots have been compelled to raise the issue. I agree that a professional image is important. Those seeking professional compensation can help their cause by looking and acting the part. Good luck to all frac pilots seeking to raise the bar--you deserve it. NJW

I'm gonna go vomit now...

Okay, this was in good fun. Really. I agree with a lot of what njw says, but this topic does rub me wrong. Leave me alone when off duty relaxing in a lounge. No, I don't wear flip flops or towels. But whatever I do choose to wear should be held to the standards of the people who own the property, not the wife of some ex-F-16 pilot.

I used purple 'cause that's the color of Royality!

This is wife's way creating an image of starving pilots and bolstering her idea that union ship is the only way to force all companies to pay more. Frac pilots paid sub-par wages know what I'm referring to. When you feed your kids with WIC and those in school qualify for the reduced price lunch no dramatization is needed--the financial reality is grim enough. The majority of frac pilots are unionized and glad of it.

What wife forgets to mention here is that she was at a meeting and not winding down a hard days work in a LOUNGE!!! It was an evening meeting that took place on a hectic day which included making child care arrangements and driving to another city. I wore business casual out of respect for the professional atmosphere. I saved my winding down clothes for the room.

Here is a small taste of the contempt she has for lowlier beings than she. I leave it for the readers to decide whose posts are the contemptuous ones. BTW, it's not my posts they complain about when they PM me. As her avatar clearly states, she has a husband who has flown an F-16 When I registered for the board I answered the questions factually, but I seldom mention our AF yrs-- I post here to discuss frac issues. and therefore deserves great respect. Since you brought it up: My family (along with other volunteers) is respected because we stand up for pilots. She must be careful though not to cast too broad a net or she may alienate the very folks she seeks respect form. What I seek is civil discussion of frac issues in an atmosphere of community spirit. I receive PMs expressing respect for my posts, but those are unsolicited.

VERY NICELY DONE! I'm gonna go vomit now... Okay, this was in good fun. Quite the contradiction. Really. Sure...:rolleyes: Looks more like damage control. I agree with a lot of what njw says, but this topic does rub me wrong. You had already made that clear earlier so rudeness just detracted from your point. Leave me alone when off duty relaxing in a lounge. No, I don't wear flip flops or towels. But whatever I do choose to wear should be held to the standards of the people who own the property, All members of society contribute to standards when a dress code isn't posted so the opinion of what is appropriate is debatable. not the wife of some ex-F-16 pilot. Your repeated mention of the F16 is very odd considering that I didn't bring it up and it has no bearing, at all, on the subject.

Recap: A pilot posted that hotel employees had complained to him about his coworkers' attire. Other pilots noted similar examples and I support their viewpoint that standards are important. Many people believe that attire should be matched to the proper place and time. I share the concern that standards may be slipping. I have noticed that where I live so in my posts I tried to broaden the topic to include other locations. Like it or not, dress and behavior (poor manners were also a thread topic) are on public display and become part of the atmosphere shared by others. As well intended as this thread is, it is perhaps in vain because those causing the problem may be too selfish to change even if they do read the posts.

Glass, if you're reading you may want to cover your mouth...;) Hopefully the problem is infrequent and not wide-spread because too may pilots across aviation are paid less than bus drivers and have worse work rules than truckers. The perception of pilots as respected professionals needs to rise--not lower. Everyone needs to work together (on and off duty) to raise the bar. Good luck to those in contract negotiations. NJW

Oh for the love of god stop calling it a frac.

It's a fractional.

How unprofessional.

Wife, go back and read the last line. Comon, the post was funny.

By the way, have you ever noticed you're one of those people who always have to have the last word?

Last edited:
No she doesn't.

Latest resources

Back