Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Some thoughts on military verses civilian (with some civility)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AOPA information website.

This isn't about blips, or funding, or whether individual pilots pay enough. It's about creating a radical new way to pay for government safety services and turning control of safety over to private industry. It's about cost, safety, and freedom. It's about preserving general aviation and the freedom of average citizens to fly for business and pleasure.
—Phil Boyer

Is thread about evil Republicans or SWA/FO? Just curious.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled topic....

I always classify the people I fly with on three criteria:

1. Their hands; stick and rudder skills, ability to accurately manipulate flight controls, whatever you want to call it.

2. Their head; are they ahead of the airplane, anticipating changes or problems, you get the drift.

3. Personality; can they actually carry on a conversation, would they be fun to hang out with on a layover or at least share a cockpit for a few hours.

If you get a guy with all three, you're going to have a blast. Two out of three, you'll probably have a decent trip. One out three, you can get by. If you go o'fer...bagel...donut hole....it's going to be a long tour.

I've been very lucky to have flown with a fair number of 3's, mostly 2's, a handful of 1's and mercifully few of the goose eggs. I've also discovered absolutely no correlation between flying background and where they land on this scale.

AlbieF15

Good post.

when I fly with military guys I try to get them to tell me some of the highlights. It's usually pretty entertaining.

1. Their hands; stick and rudder skills, ability to accurately manipulate flight controls, whatever you want to call it.

2. Their head; are they ahead of the airplane, anticipating changes or problems, you get the drift.

3. Personality; can they actually carry on a conversation, would they be fun to hang out with on a layover or at least share a cockpit for a few hours.

If you get a guy with all three, you're going to have a blast. Two out of three, you'll probably have a decent trip. One out three, you can get by. If you go o'fer...bagel...donut hole....it's going to be a long tour.

I've been very lucky to have flown with a fair number of 3's, mostly 2's, a handful of 1's and mercifully few of the goose eggs. I've also discovered absolutely no correlation between flying background and where they land on this scale.

Just curious, where do you fall in 1-3? This subject is pretty humorous, especially with the replies about how OTHER pilots are often goobers in the cockpit, both socially and skill wise. It's a scene out of "Revenge of the Nerds" - Gilbert: "Lewis, you're such a nerd."

I would bet most fighter pilots score pretty high on 1 and 2 (Very high stick and rudder, and very very high SA) but may not be the easiest peronality 3.

So...

After trying to find the common ground you arbitrarily decide fighter pilots are tough to get along with on a trip. Hmmm....while I cannot say there aren't any fighter guys at Go-jet, I can also say there aren't many. So you are making a gross generalization based on a very small (perhaps empty) sample size.

Which is exactly what I was saying we shouldn't do...

Oh well...I tried...

So...

After trying to find the common ground you arbitrarily decide fighter pilots are tough to get along with on a trip. Hmmm....while I cannot say there aren't any fighter guys at Go-jet, I can also say there aren't many. So you are making a gross generalization based on a very small (perhaps empty) sample size.

Which is exactly what I was saying we shouldn't do...

Oh well...I tried...

I said maybe, don't really know. No fighter guys at Gojet. I wonder why?:laugh:

I said maybe, don't really know. No fighter guys at Gojet. I wonder why?:laugh:

In the interest of "paying it forward" I'll leave this one alone. It's so obvious I won't touch it. On another note, my grandfather, dad and brother are all fighter pilots, so I've got some insight. As long as you keep fighter pilots in groups of less than three you'll be alright. I always knew there was a reason I was sent the Herc route, someone had to preserve the good name of the family. :)

Latest resources

Back