Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re: Re: Solo Antics

FracCapt said:
Just to be a pain in the arse, I thought I would point out that this would be a case of fuel exhaustion, not fuel starvation. Fuel exhaustion means there is none left. Fuel starvation means there is fuel left, but is inaccessible in the current situation(maybe due to a fuel selector being on Left when there is plenty of fuel in the Right tank, maybe due to clogged fuel filter, etc).

Just to prove I can be a bigger pain in the arse than you:

While fuel starvation is not necessarily fuel exhaustion, fuel exhaustion is ipso facto, fuel starvation. (note: I get extra pedantry points for using latin) :D

Since you got a good aviation related "when chicks screw up" thread going on, I might as well post this one to go along...

U.S. Air Marshal Forgets Gun in Restroom

CLEVELAND (AP) -- A federal air marshal accidentally left her gun in a restroom at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport, an airport spokeswoman said Friday.

A passenger found the semiautomatic handgun Thursday and notified an airport employee. The employee then told airport police, who secured the weapon, said the spokeswoman, Pat Smith.

"They later found it belonged to a federal air marshal who apparently was using the restroom and put it up on the shelf while she was washing her hands and forgot about it," Smith said.

Dave Adams, a spokesman for the federal Air Marshal Service, said the marshal, whose name was not released, probably would be suspended.

"The air marshal realized within five minutes that she had lost her weapon, went back to the police department and it was subsequently returned to her," Adams said. "Obviously, we are very concerned about the situation.

There were no delays or other disruptions at the airport.

Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Jedi_Cheese said:
You mean you would have your student land and then report from the ground that they have arrived? I never got that treatment.

Yes, I do. It is the responsibility of the CFI "to provide guidance and restraint with respect to the solo operations of their students. This is by far the most important flight instructor responsibility because the instructor is the only person in a position to make the determination that a student is ready for solo operations." The reason that statement is in quotes is b/c it comes directly from the Aviation Instructors Handbook, not to mention, it's pretty common knowledge.

It's surprising that you being a private pilot would think it's "not cool" for your Instructor to have you call him/her after landing on one of your XC solo's.

Jedi_Cheese said:
When you are upside down, you don't exactly have alot of options for getting out of the aircraft other than taking off your seatbelt and smacking your head.

How about bracing yourself with your arms?

wickedpilot
Yes, I do. It is the responsibility of the CFI "to provide guidance and restraint with respect to the solo operations of their students. This is by far the most important flight instructor responsibility because the instructor is the only person in a position to make the determination that a student is ready for solo operations." The reason that statement is in quotes is b/c it comes directly from the Aviation Instructors Handbook, not to mention, it's pretty common knowledge.

It's surprising that you being a private pilot would think it's "not cool" for your Instructor to have you call him/her after landing on one of your XC solo's.

I would not have my student call me at every airport they flew into because it is a waste of time and you needlessly risk the student doing something stupid (wandering around an unfamiliar airport looking for a parking spot). They should know what they are doing by the time you sign them off and any limits should be pre-set before they touch the keys. They should know what they are doing by this point (if not, why are they going solo?).

If there are any concerns about the flight, it shouldn't be taken. If there are items that are unlikely but possible, you should make it clear what to do under those circumstances. Any student solo flight should have a through plan and run like clockwork, or as close to clockwork as they can get it (which had better be pretty close).

wickedpilot
How about bracing yourself with your arms?

Ever done a one handed handstand while in a sitting position? You have an awkward position to start with (sitting down) and you need 1 hand to hit the buckle...

AxisVDP said:
What the hell? It took her 40 hours to solo?

Don't know the particular situation but like I mentioned before I would guess it was most likely during her first solo XC (it's pretty hard to run out of fuel and get lost on your first solo).

But I have seen students at Riddle that don't solo until 40 hours. :eek:

Anyways I was on the group with Jedi. Other than first solo XC, my CFI only really cared about approving my flight plan and nav. log, and to give the standard how to get home and don't hesitate to ask for help speech. Other than that he felt that I could fend for myself.

I wonder who's going to get pegged for it? I am pretty sure it would be the CFI.

Last edited:
AxisVDP said:
What the hell? It took her 40 hours to solo?
My dad didn't solo me until about thirty-five hours. I was ready a lot sooner, but he wasn't...seeing as how I am his oldest son and first student!

I remember making my first cross-country...Knoxville to Crossville, Tennessee. I felt like Lindbergh crossing the Atlantic. Even thought about packing a survival kit.

Now I look down at the same area from three-three-oh, and I think, "well, hell...it was just from there to there! What was I so worried about?" :D

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back