• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Solo Antics

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have the distinction of my second solo X-C being signed off by a CFI that I had never flown with. I was going to have that happen on my 3rd X-C but the temp was 2C under the minimum allowed student solo temperatures and thus I never went.

ShawnC
I wonder who's going to get pegged for it? I am pretty sure it would be the CFI.

I don't have any experience (and have never read about any cases) but wouldn't the student get the lions share of the blame (if the CFI did his CYA correctly)? She was the PIC after all.

But if the CFI and the stage 3 CFI signed off on it and they can show that proper fuel management, lost procedures and navigation was taught and/or reviewed, I would suspect that they would have a good chance to get off on anything truely damaging.

Typhoon1244
Even thought about packing a survival kit.

You didn't? My CFI made me pack a small one (pretty much a lighter plus the cold weather clothes). I even got taught how to turn the ELT on and remove it from the aircraft :)

Last edited:
wickedpilot, i agree with you on the XC procedures that you explained...that's all SOP at my flight school...

Jedi_Cheese said:

I don't have any experience ...

Yep, that pretty much sums it up.

Jmmccut, I'm glad you see my point. I'm sure you're a CFI as well or Comm. Pilot.

_Cheese, you'll understand someday.

Where was this story originally published I couldn't find it.

If she circled a field in Fairfield several times, she had to be in gliding distance of Butler County (Hamilton) Airport???

Latest resources

Back