• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ShawnC

Skirts Will Rise
Teen pilot from Indiana survives crash landing on first solo flight
Associated Press
April 9, 2004

FAIRFIELD, Ohio -- Knocked off course by a tail wind and running out of gas, a 17-year-old pilot flying her first solo flight picked out a farm field for a crash landing.

Her single-engine Cessna 152 skipped through the field before hitting a dirt mound and flipping over onto its roof, leaving Bridgett Green, of Scottsburg, Ind., hanging upside down by her seat belt in the cockpit.

Her only injuries were a scrape on her leg and a bump on her head when she released her seat belt.

"She did a really good job. Instead of letting panic set in, she actually landed the plane," said Stanley Oligee, a state trooper who investigated the forced landing on Wednesday night.

Green has flown more than 40 hours on a student pilot's license. She was returning to an airport in Clark County when she ran into trouble.

"I was going back and hit a tail wind. I overcorrected ... and it sent me farther out," she said. "I tried to radio for help and it just happened a man named Ron from our airport in Indianapolis heard me and he tried to help."

Green said she realized that she was going to run out of gas and her engine quit, but the plane was going about 80 mph and the propeller was still going. She picked out the farm field, about 25 miles north of Cincinnati, and circled a few times so people could see her.

"When I saw the field I told him (Ron) I knew what I was doing and I would be OK," she said.

When the plane stopped, Green tried to call a control tower by radio to say she was OK.

"But it didn't work so I grabbed my stuff, took the key out and started walking," Green said.

Green was taken to Fort Hamilton Hospital and released after about 10 minutes, she said.

-------------------------------------------------------
Suddenly my unlogged landings ("He might get mad if he knew that I got that lost.") during my solo flight seem tame.

Ummm... Aren't you supposed to stay in the traffic pattern on your first solo flight?

Oh, and tell me what WYBMABIITY means? It is driving me up the wall...

Jedi_Cheese said:
Ummm... Aren't you supposed to stay in the traffic pattern on your first solo flight?

Generally. Probably was her first solo XC.

Jedi_Cheese said:
Oh, and tell me what WYBMABIITY means? It is driving me up the wall...

Will ya buy me a beer if I tell you?

ShawnC said:
Teen pilot from Indiana survives crash landing on first solo flight
Associated Press
April 9, 2004

FAIRFIELD, Ohio -- Knocked off course by a tail wind and running out of gas...
"Knocked off" course? C'mon maybe "blown" off course. Do you think a student would be flying solo on a day where the wind could KNOCK around the airplane and be unable to maintain course hdg??

"Running out of GAS!!!" I'm sure her CFI is clinching on to his/her tickets because he/she knows that they're going to be snatched away VERY soon. What ever happened to a supervised solo? You know, having the student make position reports along their route, making a phone call when they land at their destination and giving you (the CFI) actual calculations of EVERYTHING pertinent to the flight (ie, ETE's & ETA's vs Actual times and FUEL REMAINING!! Running out of gas on a first (in this case probably XC) solo is something that should never happen.

ShawnC said:
Her single-engine Cessna 152 skipped through the field before hitting a dirt mound and flipping over onto its roof, leaving Bridgett Green, of Scottsburg, Ind., hanging upside down by her seat belt in the cockpit.

C'mon Roof? I won't even comment

ShawnC said:
Her only injuries were a scrape on her leg and a bump on her head when she released her seat belt.
Haha, I can just visualize this...the girl slams the A/C down into the field, prop strikes, flips the A/C over on it's WINGS, and is hanging there. She sits for a minute hanging and thinks "wow, I'm alive"...then proceeds to remove her seat belt (not realizing she's going to fall?) and BAM, nails her head. :p

posted by ShawnC [/i]
"She did a really good job. Instead of letting panic set in, she actually landed the plane," said Stanley Oligee, a state trooper who investigated the forced landing on Wednesday night. [/QUOTE]

No, a "good job" would have been to
A. make a no-go decision on the flight if the winds were capable of "KNOCKING" a 152 off course or
B. to not let the engine get to the point of quitting due to fuel starvation.

But what do I know, I'm not the media or a police officer.

I get the feeling the NTSB report will read quite a bit differently than the newspaper. :(

wickedpilot
What ever happened to a supervised solo? You know, having the student make position reports along their route, making a phone call when they land at their destination and giving you (the CFI) actual calculations of EVERYTHING pertinent to the flight (ie, ETE's & ETA's vs Actual times and FUEL REMAINING!! Running out of gas on a first (in this case probably XC) solo is something that should never happen.

You mean you would have your student land and then report from the ground that they have arrived? I never got that treatment. Why the hell don't you just follow them in another C152 and bitch and complain if they get off course? I got the "if you get lost, dial xxx.x on your VOR and follow it to the beacon. If you are low on fuel, the runway is about 30 ft from the beacon" speech and the "look at your watch before you takeoff. If it is after xxx time, park on the ramp, break out the change you have and give our FBO a call from inside their FBO and ask for me (or another CFI)" speech.

wickedpilot
Haha, I can just visualize this...the girl slams the A/C down into the field, prop strikes, flips the A/C over on it's WINGS, and is hanging there. She sits for a minute hanging and thinks "wow, I'm alive"...then proceeds to remove her seat belt (not realizing she's going to fall?) and BAM, nails her head.

High wing aircraft flip over on a crash landing. Normally the wheels break off, a wingtip digs in, and the aircraft flips over. Low wing aircraft don't do that because when the wheels snap off, the wingtips don't dig into the ground and thus it doesn't flip. When you are upside down, you don't exactly have alot of options for getting out of the aircraft other than taking off your seatbelt and smacking your head.

B. to not let the engine get to the point of quitting due to fuel starvation.

Just to be a pain in the arse, I thought I would point out that this would be a case of fuel exhaustion, not fuel starvation. Fuel exhaustion means there is none left. Fuel starvation means there is fuel left, but is inaccessible in the current situation(maybe due to a fuel selector being on Left when there is plenty of fuel in the Right tank, maybe due to clogged fuel filter, etc).

Latest resources

Back