So what is the New Skywest pay?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Its funny to me...

All these people calling SkyWest pilots Kool Aid drinkers. It is hilarious..

..SkyWest is doing well as an airline... Is this bad?

..Rather than accept the fact that the industry is on an upswing and be happy that pay, work rules, and all the other "perks" that ALPA and the other carriers gave up years ago are finally coming back and consider it a GOOD thing, you try to bad mouth the airlines that are doing it! It shows real ignorance to bad mouth a carrier with a majority of happy pilots, growing networks, good work rules and decent morale... when that is what you are supposed to be ADVOCATING!..

..And SkyWest pilots leaving to other carriers is bad, or proof of something?... Its proof of no more than SkyWest's position in the industry (a REGIONAL CARRIER!!). Any pilot with career ambitions should be happy that there is finally a movement back to the legacies and other major carriers. Movement from an "express" carrier to mainline should be praised, not twisted into a bad thing. Get some friggin' ambition if you are mad that SkyWest and other regional airlines should not be retirement options and base their business models on turn over. Every single one does... Pinnacle, ASA, Comair, SkyWest, Colgan, Mesa, TSA, Republic... ALL OF THEM!

..I personally am glad to see carriers like Southwest, SkyWest, Frontier, Republic (believe it or not an ALPA carrier!!) who have good leadership and a good workforce being able to grow while keeping their people relatively happy...

..But a month after a union drive being enough time to up the payscale? It would be nice if that could happen, but also unrealistic. Personally, I am looking 5-6 months out for progress at SkyWest before I start questioning things...

Wow, where to start...

First, why don't you go talk to pilots of United, Delta, NWA, etc about "...be happy that pay, work rules, and all the other "perks" that ALPA and the other carriers gave up years ago are finally coming back".....uhhh, yeah go talk to UAL pilots about their work rules...I don't think "coming back" is the terminology I would use.

..."Frontier CEO Sean Menke said employees were told Wednesday that the Denver-based carrier was cutting its indirect labor work force by 10 percent. Spokesman Joe Hodas described the jobs as corporate jobs not directly related to flight operations and said the cuts represented 1.4 percent of the total work force.
The layoffs were expected to save Frontier about $5 million on an annualized basis, Menke said.
The airline also plans to scale back how much it expands its available seat miles, an industry unit that factors in the number of seats available and the number of miles flown. It also is evaluating the size of its fleet, Menke said.
The carrier plans to reduce mainline year-over-year growth in available seat miles through the first three months of 2008 from 13.7 percent to 8.6 percent(ohh, but what are they increasing - yes the regional side - Lynx - why - ITS CHEAPER), Menke said.
"In contrast to encouraging year-over-year unit revenue improvements for November and October, the cost of jet fuel has climbed 18 percent since October when we last provided an earnings estimate for the December quarter," Menke said.
Several other airlines have announced plans to slow growth and cut costs to deal with higher fuel prices and the prospect of an economic slowdown that could have people flying less.

"....Southwest Airlines Co. said Tuesday it would slow its planned growth in 2008, the second time this year that the low-cost carrier has reined in expansion as it struggles with high fuel costs...

...."We are concerned about growing evidence of slowing economic growth that would inevitably affect passenger demand, coupled with a surge in energy prices," Chief Executive Gary C. Kelly said in a statement.
Southwest's announcement came a day after rival Continental Airlines Inc. cut its growth expectations for next year to between 2 percent and 3 percent, down from 3 percent to 4 percent...."

....Why close to EVERY UAL jumpseater hates UAL -

"UAL Corp. Announces $250 Million Distribution to Shareholders
Friday December 7, 90 am ET United Airlines Pays Down $500 Million of Term Loan Amendment to United's Credit Agreement Allows For Further Shareholder Initiatives
CHICAGO, Dec. 7 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- United Airlines (Nasdaq: UAUA - News) today announced that the UAL Corporation Board of Directors approved a special distribution of $2.15 per share to holders of UAL common stock, or approximately $250 million....

....."This shareholder distribution underscores our commitment to creating value for our investors," said Glenn Tilton, chairman, president and CEO. "On behalf of our board of directors, we are pleased to make this decision to provide a distribution to our shareholders....

....Ok, next...."Any pilot with career ambitions should be happy that there is finally a movement back to the legacies and other major carriers. Movement from an "express" carrier to mainline should be praised, not twisted into a bad thing. Get some friggin' ambition if you are mad that SkyWest and other regional airlines should not be retirement options and base their business models on turn over.....

Umm, nice, so you are saying that every pilot who DOESN'T move on lacks ambition? Nice.

Just bail if you are mad that SKYW management is leaving the pilots behind and fast making us the mockery of the industry. Good attitude. Don't try to fix it, don't try to change it. Don't try to affect the outcome of the situation. Just give up. Go somewhere else.

The problem with SKYW is "we" can't fix it, change it, affect the outcome. The outcome is fixed by JA and the boys with SAPA as the mouthpiece. You really think you have a voice in our system - THAT'S WHERE THE "KOOL-AID" COMES IN! WE HAVE NO VOICE, NO SAY. PLAIN AND SIMPLE. There is no bargaining, no negotiating.

It is a good thing that the majors are hiring. But, if you actually talk to most of their pilots, the pay is down and the QOL has declined in the last few years.

The way for this industry to recover and the way to increase compensation and benefits is NOT from the bottom up. Pull from the top, not push from the bottom....

....Less rj expansion, more "mainline" aircraft.....

Uhhh, duhh.....If the majors fly more a/c on routes now currently run by rjs 80-90% full - it pulls everyone - UP!

By pumping planes and people in the bottom without stimulating the growth up top we are holding movement, pay, benefits, QOL, down.

But that is what is happening. Skybus with their A319 at $60/hour capt. - nice. Skywest with no limits on seats - with regional pay, rumors abound of SWA regional flying, larger a/c, etc. But at what pay?

3rd yr ca + new hire fo @ SWA = $231/hour crew cost.

3rd yr ca + new hire fo @ SKYW = $82/hour crew cost.

You think that managements aren't figuring that out. But look what happens. Rjs flying longer routes out of major hubs crewed by pilots that are paid less, cuz' the experience level is less. More and more and more and more rjs in the system. Less mainline a/c in the system. Less overall numbers of mainline crews making the big $. Mainline $ down. Incentive for regional pilots to leave DOWN. Regional QOL starts to win out over a marginal pay increase with less QOL at a major.

You're right. You want to fly larger a/c for more $ - go to the majors. That's how it should be. However, the managments are going the other way - larger a/c for less $ - can't wait for that CRJ1000 - yippee lets fly that thing w/100 seats for $60/hour. Sweet.

You say for people to move on to the majors. How? The regional airlines managements with their greed driven by the promise of contracts are going bigger for less. And they can do it with the a/c getting bigger and cheaper to operate. They can do it, cuz' they can go to the fbo's and sell it to the poor CFI. They can do it, cuz they sell "feel good fuzzies" to the pilots who buy into it.

The "kool-aid" drinkers put their faith in management to do what will be best for the employee. By default, that can't happen. Management is concerned with profits for shareholders.

You talk about raising the standards for all of us...How, by voting for a useless management puppet...SAPA....What a joke the system is.

.....You talk about 5-6 months....we have been asking for improvements in pay and QOL for years and we get 1% over 4 years. Nice.

Your list of carriers are all union except for SKYW. So, are you saying that pilots of SWA are stupid because they have a union and haven't put their entire career goals, wants, and needs in the hands of management? Why don't you jump on a SWA a/c and tell them that - see what response you get with that attitude.

In fact, the next time you are jumping on any mainline, hand them some kool-aid and be sure to tell them that you think they are idiots for having a union, and they should place all their trust in management. Good plan.

What I am ADVOCATING is.....we need to stop this race to the bottom. The only way to do that is to promote aircraft growth and wage growth at the top in order to have a vacuum effect. Stop whoring the bottom of the industry out. Stop having more and more percentage of the flights in the country(hello airport congestion, anyone....) with more and more percentage of pilots in the lowest pay bracket of the industry. The rj has a place. Put it there. Keep it there.

Let the higher pay pull up. That's what we can all agree on. We would all like more $.

Does anyone think that Skywest will match ASA's new rates?

I don't. We'll end up with a rate that will keep us more competitive for future flying and maintain our current flying for as long as possible.

in a recent sapa meeting, CC said that prior to being president of skywest he worked for years writing proposals to rfp's that the company was bidding on. he said very emphatically that we have never won an rfp because our pilot costs were the lowest. he did say that we've won because of our aircraft financing/ownership, our maintenance departments ability to do what they do, etc.

Once again, the biggest downward pressure on ASA 700 rates came from Mesa, PCL, Mesaba, and Mainline RJ rates at USAir, Delta, and NWA..... all ALPA carriers.....

What payrate are you referring to at PCL? We do not have a payrate for anything larger than a 58 seater. The payrate for the CRJ-900 is currently in arbitration.

I know you probably just "assumed" that the PCL 76-seat rate was low and therefore dragged you down but unfortunately its just another example of how you are WRONG. Just like most every other time you open your trap.

Good job btrthn5n5, you are now paired up with Joe Merchant and Skynation. This thread has potential now.

USA today had a full page article showing all the pilot groups that disagree with your bozo "we don't want to pay 2%" antics.

Whether you care to view the issue with clarity or not, you guys are flat out wrong and the industry is hurt by your actions.

A full page advertisement... Anybody can pay to get one of those. Your 2% hard at work "improving the industry". Until non-alpa carriers are no longer topping the list of quality of life, pay, and work rules then I suggest ALPA start working on its own horrible reputation or else there will be no new carriers joining... How then will ALPA fund a United strike in the next few years?

I'm not saying SkyWest is a golden airline, I have yet to see one. I'm not saying unions are bad, they have their place.

I'm just saying ALPA is a worthless organization!

Case in point:
They try to recruit an airline with a majority of happy pilots, higher end payscales, and better work rules than the rest of the airlines under the ALPA banner... and they then act shocked and betrayed that the drive failed and start name calling??? Saying that SkyWest is responsible for the crappy pay rates at the airlines ALPA represents is ridiculous! But the whining continues without anybody in that union taking responsibilty for raising the bar for their own pilots, but just blaming it on outside airlines. GET REAL!!
ALPA, go out and do something. Negotiate to get what you want. When you get it, negotiate to keep it. And if you can't get what you think you rightfully deserve, flex the muscles that ALPA keeps saying it has.

Until that happens and ALPA carriers are not paid as well other unions carriers or non union carriers... THE PROOF SPEAKS FOR ITSELF.

ALPA, stop crying and GO SET THE BAR at the airlines you claim to be "making better", and make a case for your existence. Until then... Good luck trying to get anybody to believe you are effective other than the kool aid drinkers trying to justify the dues they surrender to you.

It doesn't take a genius to see the flaws in this equation.

edit...
I guess I should say a "until a MAJORITY of ALPA carriers are happier than non ALPA carriers". Some airlines and their respective MEC's are just lost causes. i.e. Mesa

Last edited:
A full page advertisement... Anybody can pay to get one of those. Your 2% hard at work "improving the industry". Until non-alpa carriers are no longer topping the list of quality of life, pay, and work rules then I suggest ALPA start working on its own horrible reputation or else there will be no new carriers joining... How then will ALPA fund a United strike in the next few years?

I'm not saying SkyWest is a golden airline, I have yet to see one. I'm not saying unions are bad, they have their place.

I'm just saying ALPA is a worthless organization!

Case in point:
They try to recruit an airline with a majority of happy pilots, higher end payscales, and better work rules than the rest of the airlines under the ALPA banner... and they then act shocked and betrayed that the drive failed and start name calling??? Saying that SkyWest is responsible for the crappy pay rates at the airlines ALPA represents is ridiculous! But the whining continues without anybody in that union taking responsibilty for raising the bar for their own pilots, but just blaming it on outside airlines. GET REAL!!
ALPA, go out and do something. Negotiate to get what you want. When you get it, negotiate to keep it. And if you can't get what you think you rightfully deserve, flex the muscles that ALPA keeps saying it has.

Until that happens and ALPA carriers are not paid as well other unions carriers or non union carriers... THE PROOF SPEAKS FOR ITSELF.

ALPA, stop crying and GO SET THE BAR at the airlines you claim to be "making better", and make a case for your existence. Until then... Good luck trying to get anybody to believe you are effective other than the kool aid drinkers trying to justify the dues they surrender to you.

It doesn't take a genius to see the flaws in this equation.

You might want to take a look at the airline JA bought with the money we made for him...ALPA managed to get them rates that are higher than ours($6.00 an hour more on the 200 at my seniority, and a lot more than that on the 700 with our great override)!

You might want to take a look at the airline JA bought with the money we made for him...ALPA managed to get them rates that are higher than ours($6.00 an hour more on the 200 at my seniority, and a lot more than that on the 700 with our great override)!

I agree with you. The ASA TA is a better deal than they had. And parts of it are very attractive. The agreement is a good step forward for the ASA guys, and for "the industry" in general.

But using one negotiation to prove a point is like using Mesa's situation to prove ALPA's ineffectiveness. You must look at the entire package.

Its funny... a good thing can happen "in spite of SkyWest's management" if ALPA was involved, but if ALPA is not involved they spin it as "SkyWest mangagement dangling carrots to mislead their pilots". Shows a tad bit of double talk.

I'm glad ASA is happy with their contract, I would be too. It only took them 5 years of negotiations to get. One could maybe look at it as, after a year of SkyWest Inc. ownership the deal went through.

Could SkyWest Inc. have thought ASA deserved this, and negotiated swiftly. While the former management structure drug it along until the airline was about to cease existence??

Before the "Kool Aid Drinker" accusations start flying, I'm not saying JA is the reason for ASA getting a decent deal, but just raising the question of how it happened faster once SkyWest was involved.

Fire away!

More to your point...

I do think the pilots are a huge reason SkyWest is in the position it is today, both finacially and operationally. SkyWest pilots do need to see more of it in their pockets.

My only quarrel is with the thinking that ALPA is the only way to do it.

I agree with you. The ASA TA is a better deal than they had. And parts of it are very attractive. The agreement is a good step forward for the ASA guys, and for "the industry" in general.

But using one negotiation to prove a point is like using Mesa's situation to prove ALPA's ineffectiveness. You must look at the entire package.

Its funny... a good thing can happen "in spite of SkyWest's management" if ALPA was involved, but if ALPA is not involved they spin it as "SkyWest mangagement dangling carrots to mislead their pilots". Shows a tad bit of double talk.

I'm glad ASA is happy with their contract, I would be too. It only took them 5 years of negotiations to get. One could maybe look at it as, after a year of SkyWest Inc. ownership the deal went through.

Could SkyWest Inc. have thought ASA deserved this, and negotiated swiftly. While the former management structure drug it along until the airline was about to cease existence??

Before the "Kool Aid Drinker" accusations start flying, I'm not saying JA is the reason for ASA getting a decent deal, but just raising the question of how it happened faster once SkyWest was involved.

Fire away!

More to your point...

I do think the pilots are a huge reason SkyWest is in the position it is today, both finacially and operationally. SkyWest pilots do need to see more of it in their pockets.

My only quarrel is with the thinking that ALPA is the only way to do it.

I don't think ALPA is "the only way to do it." Horizon and Continental Express are also both well above us in both pay and benefits, and I don't think they're both ALPA, however neither relies on an inhouse management ploy known as SAPA either!

Does anybody else not read the long posts besides me?

Latest resources

Back