So much for strike leverage at DAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Crash Pad said:
They quickly dove into BK and started to fix the problem... three years ago. American and CAL were well ahead of them.

"well ahead"--I'll say. CAL busted the pilot unions and declared BK twice more than a decade ago and has had wages and benefits down at the bottom of the pile ever since. A ten year head start on a competetive advantage and plenty of time to "make it work." What is surprising is that they haven't done better considering the cost advantage they've had all these years. And they need $80M from the FAs?

Jetpipeovht said:
What most of us fail to see that in a population of 295,000,000 people only 639,000 of us are licensed pilots and that is including recreational to ATP. We have this country by the balls if we just walk off the job on any given day.

I am curious, did not have time to search with google but say this comes to a head in Bankruptcy court resulting in the union placing the pilots in the position to strike, what is to prevent management from lobbying the White House? I seem to recall that in past labor disputes with national impact, at one point not too long ago the President at the time interceded to prevent a strike by injecting a cooling off period or am I way off base?

ms6073 said:
I seem to recall that in past labor disputes with national impact, at one point not too long ago the President at the time interceded to prevent a strike by injecting a cooling off period or am I way off base?

Close, but not quite. What you're referring to is a Presidental Emergency Board (PEB). An employee group operating under a CBA that falls under the guidelines of the RLA may seek 'self help' (strike) at the end of the cooling off period when a mediator declares an impass in negotiations on a contract that became ammendable.

That is not what is going on here.

IMO, this would not apply if the 1113c hearing is sucessful for Delta. Delta management wishes to toss out the CBA, effectively ending Delta pilot represention. In essence, if the labor contract is cancelled, the pilots really would not be striking, they would simply be walking off the job, and the PEB would be able to prevent that.

No one group can have it both ways.

ultrarunner said:
Close, but not quite. What you're referring to is a Presidental Emergency Board (PEB). An employee group operating under a CBA that falls under the guidelines of the RLA may seek 'self help' (strike) at the end of the cooling off period when a mediator declares an impass in negotiations on a contract that became ammendable.

That is not what is going on here.

IMO, this would not apply if the 1113c hearing is sucessful for Delta. Delta management wishes to toss out the CBA, effectively ending Delta pilot represention. In essence, if the labor contract is cancelled, the pilots really would not be striking, they would simply be walking off the job, and the PEB would be able to prevent that.

No one group can have it both ways.

So, can you explain this part of the transcript:

ALPA attorney asked CFO Bastian if DL had a contingency plan for a
possible pilot strike. CFO replied, "we have a legal opinion that a
strike would not be allowed under the RLA". Judge interrupted to ask,
"What does the RLA have to do with this". CFO repeats his statement.
Judge says, " I don't believe the Federal courts have the power to
enjoin a strike. I know I certainly don't."

Bye Bye--General Lee

The management shysters will tell everyone that the RLA is still in affect after an 1113, but that's just the standard corporate lawyer lies.

It's all BS anyway. If the pilots walk, the company shutsdown. The key point to remember is that the pilots WON'T walk. They don't have the nuts to. They're going to take what management gives 'em, just like U and UAL. Watch NW. That's the real show. NW wants to break their unions, but good. They want to humiliate them and drive 'em into the ground, like they did with the mechanics.

Opps..typo on my part...

I meant to say:

"....and the PEB would NOT be able to prevent that...."

And the judge seems to be of that opinion as well as shown in her comments posted by General above.

miles otoole said:
King said that he expected Delta pilots -- who are fighting the airline's bid to void their contract in bankruptcy court -- to vote against a strike if the judge hearing the case rules against them.

Have to disagree there. Smart or not, I bet this pilot group votes to strike is a contract is imposed.

I would agree. IMO, if management gets what it wants, I don't believe the government will inteject and prevent a "strike". Delta management metality has shown they look out for themselves, and place the shareholders and everyone else after. So IF the pilots walk and shut down the airline, I don't really think Delta will give a crapola.

ultrarunner said:
I would agree. IMO, if management gets what it wants, I don't believe the government will inteject and prevent a "strike". Delta management metality has shown they look out for themselves, and place the shareholders and everyone else after. So IF the pilots walk and shut down the airline, I don't really think Delta will give a crapola.

Who does care? How about the creditors, the State of Georgia, the City of Atlanta, the 25 million Skymiles members through American Express, and probably some other people? So, I would think that management is getting an earfull from some of these.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back