• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

So I got the job now what?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks to all of those who left a helpfull suggestion. If anyone is curious I'm going to add a bit more in terms of details and answer a few questions.

Are they sending you to school or doing in-house training?
Its an in house training deal for now. I have a feeling its going to be that way until they are sure the want to drop the mega bucks on getting me the 70% course. That flight safety stuff aint cheap. I would be more comforatable with the FSI course before flying the plane but I got a big flight safety binder and I'm burning the midnight oil.

congratulations on your big break!

Casper1nine thanks man I guess I wont have too much trouble with the multi time deal now :)

I may be wrong.....correct me if I am........but isnt the CJ only single pilot if the pilot gets the certification? Its not like a BE350 where only one pilot is required in the limitations.......I think Cessna says one or two pilots, which would mean if the dispatched capt. is not CE-525"S", then it is a 2 pilot gig.

Ok more than one of you asked about this. The current SIC guy just got PIC qualified and he has been flying this plane pretty much exclusivly so I'm guessing the time counts. Also they are both instructors and typed so I guess I can log it that way too. I'll update you on this. The current captain says I get SIC but I know that dont mean much.

Mate,

Now don't get me wrong, but is this new gig of yours in BUR and is it associated with TWC Aviation?

TransMach

I have no idea what your talking about....

Once again thanks for all your suggestions. If anyone else has anything to add please let me know.

I'll update you after the first trip - This weekend!

Thanks all

well if hes a MEI you should be able to at least recieve dual given.

Congrats by the way

I'm on my first trip in the citation II and its an incredibly easy plane to fly.

From a current CJ2 guy..........the CJ is single pilot only if the pilot is typed "s". If the PIC is not typed for single pilot ops, a second pilot is required.

Enjoy the aircraft. It is very simple. Gear, flaps.....flaps, Gear (coffee and conversation in between). A great jet to cut your teeth on.

I have extra FS CJ1 books/quick ref hand books/ Checklists if you need them.....PM me. Or if you have questions regarding the aircraft (no such thing as a dumb question....especially if it is your firt jet!)

Best of luck......Dinger

TransMach said:
Mate,

Now don't get me wrong, but is this new gig of yours in BUR and is it associated with TWC Aviation?

TransMach
I don't think TWC hires guys with 650hrs. They also send you to FSI for the type rating ASAP.

Bushwick! CONGRULATIONS ON YOUR 91! I think most people reading would be so happy for you. I'm an F/a so I'm not a pilot and cant give advice on flying! Just be safe! You obviously set a goal and got it!

Yah, lets be so happy for this member! Flying and planes, sooooo cool!

Wishing you totally the best in your career! You gott it going on!

MissKittyKat

"How should I act around the owner of the aircraft? (the pilots seem really chilled out when they see him)"

True example of how not to act:

A guy who flew SIC with a friend of mine in a Westwind was asked this question by the owner, " So, you think you could land this thing?" His reply was "um ya, I guess I could if it was a good day". Needless to say, he did not last much longer after that.

Just act professionally. Once you get to know each other, then you can follow the example of the other pilots.

You can log SIC time in the CJ1 - regardless of which type the captain has. Go at it and have FUN!

(TWC has a CJ2, not a CJ1).

The most annoying thing to me is having to tell an SIC over and over again to restock the aircraft, check the expiration on the sodas, replenish the ice, get the clearance, etc etc etc. Take notes the first day and get a routine down as soon as possible. I being at the aircraft 1 hour prior to departure (for domestic flights). Do the preflight beofre you do anything else. Then get the cabin ready. At 30 minutes before departure, get the clearance, set up the FMS and get the performance numebrs. By 20 minutes before departure time, you should be sitting in the FBO waiting for your pax, relaxing in air conditioned-splendor.

The other annoying thing is to hear from SICs is "I'm just doing this until I get hired at a major", or my favorite, "I don't get paid to do that". Be a go-to guy that your captain can count on. Consider yourself a captain in training, and learn how to do your and the captain's job.

English said:
I being at the aircraft 1 hour prior to departure (for domestic flights). Do the preflight beofre you do anything else. Then get the cabin ready. At 30 minutes before departure, get the clearance, set up the FMS and get the performance numebrs. By 20 minutes before departure time, you should be sitting in the FBO waiting for your pax, relaxing in air conditioned-splendor.

Just curious....what's the Captain doing all this time while the FO does all the work? That's not how I run my ship. Two pilots are required...share the load. Doing the flight planning, filing, checking weather, paying the bill, etc....takes 15 minutes(unless International, then it depends on where you're going). I fly with many FO's that are suprised when I actually do the preflight, get the cabin ready, do the numbers/clearance, or anything other than sit in the FBO really. That's pretty sad...it shows what most of the other Captains are doing.

FracCapt said:
Just curious....what's the Captain doing all this time while the FO does all the work? That's not how I run my ship. Two pilots are required...share the load. Doing the flight planning, filing, checking weather, paying the bill, etc....takes 15 minutes(unless International, then it depends on where you're going). I fly with many FO's that are suprised when I actually do the preflight, get the cabin ready, do the numbers/clearance, or anything other than sit in the FBO really. That's pretty sad...it shows what most of the other Captains are doing.

I'm sure each company is different.

At ours:
Captain:
Print charts (jeppview)
file flight plan
check wx
preflight aircraft (including cockpit before start items)
ATIS/Clearance (if in aircraft with APU...program FMS's in accordance w/ before start checklist)

FO:
Aircraft stores (including coffee, ice, papers, special requests in any)
Interior cleanliness
check wx
preflight (not required but two sets of eyes are better than one)
Help with printing and organizing charts
ATIS/Clearance (if in aircraft with no APU...program FMS's in accordance w/ afterstart checklist)

Those are the assigned duties, but in reality, we both help each other. Sometimes one person finishes his duties first and will then help the other guy with whatever he has remaining.

Latest resources

Back