Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BushwickBill

Registered Abuser
After hundreds hours of dual given I've finally been given the chance to fly something other than a 152. I've been given the privlage of working as a standby pilot for a small part 91 operation that uses a Citation CJ1 (525). I'm thrilled and I feel ready to step up to the challenge of being part of a crew and flying faster than 90 knots.

So I'm wondering if some of you experienced pilots can help a guy out.

What do you like to see in a SIC?
What is the most annoying thing an SIC can do?
What is the most helpful thing a SIC can do?
How should I act around the owner of the aircraft? (the pilots seem really chilled out when they see him)

Anyhow hope to get some helpful hints. I'm also going to post this tread in the training forum, I hope thats Kosher.

BushwickBill said:
What do you like to see in a SIC?
good attitude,teamwork and open to suggestions - works both ways
BushwickBill said:
What is the most annoying thing an SIC can do?
make excuses
BushwickBill said:
What is the most helpful thing a SIC can do?
the jepps:D
BushwickBill said:
How should I act around the owner of the aircraft?
smile and be friendly

Be professional. Know you're stuff. Are they sending you to school or doing in-house training? If it's just in-house, get your hands on all available info and learn it. Know your memory items. You are a crew-member now, which means you need to contribute. Don't make the captain fly the plane and baby-sit you. It will take you 50 hrs or so to get comfy in the plane, then you will really feel like you are contributing. Work hard, absorb as much knowledge from the others as you can. Ask intelligent questions and learn from them. Ask a question if you don't understand why they did something when they did it. ASK QUESTIONS! You will learn a ton from that and it will accelerate your learning process.
Have fun. Be professional.
Around the owner, act like the rest of them, professional but relaxed. Don't address him as "Dude" unless he tells you to!

F/O Success

Mate,

Now don't get me wrong, but is this new gig of yours in BUR and is it associated with TWC Aviation?

TransMach

What the he!! does it matter??

do your homework on what if any special conditions must be met for you to even log the sic time on what is usually a single pilot airplane. congratulations on your big break!

-casper1nine

Just be honest. If you dont know something - ask. Everyone started somewhere. If you see something you are not comfy with - say so. You are not there to tune the radios.

Hopefully you are flying with confident, smart guys who will help you along - especially if you show initiative....do your share (all of it - haha) of the $hit work - jepps, restocking, etc...

Be professional around the owners, even if they are "real laid back". A smile and a chat are always good, just remember - at the end of the day you are still the hired help, not thier buddy.

Have fun!

I may be wrong.....correct me if I am........but isnt the CJ only single pilot if the pilot gets the certification? Its not like a BE350 where only one pilot is required in the limitations.......I think Cessna says one or two pilots, which would mean if the dispatched capt. is not CE-525"S", then it is a 2 pilot gig.

Not sure, maybe some CJ jockeys can set it straight.

Anyhow, the best you can do until you arent so far behind the airplane you'd survive a midair is to 1)listen 2)learn 3)learn some more 4)do as much of the non flying work as possible early on (preflights, setting up cabin, getting numbers, etc.)

Oh..make sure you become familiar with the performance section of the AFM.......wet numbers, advisory section, climb gradients etc.

A lot more to consider now that your out of the little cessna's

Best of luck, keep a good attitude and always be willing to listen and learn.....and remember, when you see someone do something a differnet way than you're used to, that there are 100 ways to skin a cat, as long as it gets the job done (unless unsafe, of course)

Latest resources

Back