• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

So how was the SWA open house?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is correct. If you met the mins, you got the interview as a door prize. Two girls sitting close to me had their names pulled, but neither met the mins, so they got a different prize instead of the interview.

I guy I work with got one of the interview raffle prizes. Later, over beers, I tried to get him to tell me where he had the certificate so I could roll him when he passed out. No luck.

Old School 737 said:
I'm not slamming SWA and I like them a lot but people winning interviews as door prizes? Is this correct. I figured if you are qualified and meet their minimums you would get a call based on experience, flight hours, recommendations, etc. Not from some guy pulling your name from a hat. But then again mabe that is how they have been selecting people for interviews in the past?

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

I thought the whole thing was a class production. Very nice job by the entire staff!

SWA is LUVley

I was there not as a devotee, but as an inquisitor. I was impressed that the founder two hands Wild Turkey bottles. I'm not buying the people first hooplaa.
In my opinion, those who are enthusiastic about how much SWA is about people are the same ones who chant and swat at beach balls at motivational speaker conferences. Come on, we're pilots not fire extinguisher salesmen. Colored baloons aside, I'd love to work there....for the 1/2/3 deal.

Prop Trash said:
It went great. There were probably between 800 and 1,000 people there. Two large meeting rooms were filled with applicants. Eight attendees won interviews as door prizes.

Here are some of the figures that they threw out:

currently staffed with 10.98 pilots per airplane

500+ pilots will be hired in 2006

they want to expand more but don't have enough airplanes to do so

they're searching all over the world for used 737-700s to buy so they can expand

150-200 pilots are invited for interviews each month

about 20% of the candidates don't have types when they interview

they're running 3 classes per month through the summer

interview groups are comprised with 50% military, 50% civillian

600+ aircraft are palnned by 2011

5 1/2 to 6 1/2 year upgrade has been consistent for the last few decades

they want people who LUV to fly

They gave away guaranteed interviews as follows: 2 in one room and 4 in the other, for a total of 6. If you won and didn't meet thier mins you got a "Plane Nuts" book.

The interview ratio is currently 40% military and 60% civilian

Presently "almost all" candidates are 737 typed as pool time (2-months) is so short. As the pool gets filled (no exact number) they anticipate that they will start interviewing candidates without the type.

Everything else is as noted above. Oh, a little over 700 "prospective nuggets" were there and they had a third room set up which they did not use.

I interviewed in April 2006, didn't get it. I commuted 4 1/2 hours one-way, sat through the presentation which was top notch and got back on a 2 plane commute back, another 6 hours home. I just wanted to show I wasn't giving up and I'm a "warrior" to the end.... I want this, and will try... try .... again. I've tasted some many "Kool Aids", and I like SW's the best!

jwes said:
I interviewed in April 2006, didn't get it. I commuted 4 1/2 hours one-way, sat through the presentation which was top notch and got back on a 2 plane commute back, another 6 hours home. I just wanted to show I wasn't giving up and I'm a "warrior" to the end.... I want this, and will try... try .... again. I've tasted some many "Kool Aids", and I like SW's the best!

Yep. Canyon Blue coolaide!

No, accually it was not hard at all. I for one was very happy for them and I can't wait till I can reapply 12-12-06.

Good luck to you as well.

Latest resources

Back