• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SLI Arbitration/Negotiation Deadline Still 11/20

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Is it not true that 5 year NWA pilots will be junior to 1+ year DAL pilots.....
I don't know and I don't even know anybody who knows, if anybody knows. If anybody who's name isn't Richard Bloch says he knows, don't believe them.

I believe longevity should be the driving force behind merger policy....at one time it was......

Longevity is more objective....it is the way many other professions work......

Is it not true that 5 year NWA pilots will be junior to 1+ year DAL pilots.....How is that fair?

There will be cutbacks.....The economy is getting ready to really take a dump......We ain't seen nothin yet.....The US automakers on the verge of collapse....that will start a whole new cascade of failure......The bottom needs to be very concerned now......

17 year USAir FOs were placed next to bottom guys at AWA. It is called relative seniority. There is no National Seniority list, so you can't just fit in DOH. If your company expands and the other does not, should your pilots be penalized? We hired 600+ after our furloughed pilots came back, and NWA hired 176 for attrition. We expanded, they did not. Steenland held onto cash and looked for a merger partner instead of expanding. That is not our fault.

Bye Bye--General Lee

17 year USAir FOs were placed next to bottom guys at AWA. It is called relative seniority. There is no National Seniority list, so you can't just fit in DOH. If your company expands and the other does not, should your pilots be penalized? We hired 600+ after our furloughed pilots came back, and NWA hired 176 for attrition. We expanded, they did not. Steenland held onto cash and looked for a merger partner instead of expanding. That is not our fault.

Bye Bye--General Lee

There's no sense arguing with you......but don't expect the 17 year USAir guy to be "OK" with being placed next to the bottom AWA guy....

That isn't going to build a cohesive group....If I've got 17 years.....I'm not going to accept being put next to someone who has a couple of years....

There's no sense arguing with you......but don't expect the 17 year USAir guy to be "OK" with being placed next to the bottom AWA guy....

That isn't going to build a cohesive group....If I've got 17 years.....I'm not going to accept being put next to someone who has a couple of years....

I don't particularly want to argue with you either, but 17 years at a regional doesn't mean you should fit in the same with a major. As far as USAir East and AWA go, you are right, I bet the USAir East guy wasn't happy. It is all about staying where you "currently" are---if you are in the bottom 5% in one company, then you should be in the bottom 5% of the new one. If you are on smaller equipment and don't have the larger planes at your airline, then your career expectations do not include the larger plane, and you should fit into the list where those planes are. That is what happened in the Nic award, and the rest was relative. We offered about the same, including the smaller planes and planes leaving at the bottom.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I don't particularly want to argue with you either, but 17 years at a regional doesn't mean you should fit in the same with a major. As far as USAir East and AWA go, you are right, I bet the USAir East guy wasn't happy. It is all about staying where you "currently" are---if you are in the bottom 5% in one company, then you should be in the bottom 5% of the new one. If you are on smaller equipment and don't have the larger planes at your airline, then your career expectations do not include the larger plane, and you should fit into the list where those planes are. That is what happened in the Nic award, and the rest was relative. We offered about the same, including the smaller planes and planes leaving at the bottom.

Bye Bye--General Lee

.....likewise a 2 year mainline pilot shouldn't bump a 17 year regional pilot out of their seat when they get furloughed.....

Longevity IMO trumps any subjective "mine is better than yours" argument.....Experience and longevity should count for more than it does in this business.....We treat experience worse than any other profession.....That is our weakness.....and the reason we will never be unified.....

I may not convince you....but don't ask me to support you and back you when you throw my experience and longevity out the window......Depends on whether you want to build unity or not....

JoeMerchant said:

"Longevity is more objective....it is the way many other professions work......"

"Longevity IMO trumps any subjective "mine is better than yours" argument....."

Joe, if DAL had merged with ASA and CMR, is it your position that longevity should have been the driving force for determining the seniority list?

Last edited:
seems to me he couldn't answer the question, he didn't say yes or no. Your attorney seems a bit flustered...

Seems to me he couldn't come up with a single example. He's just a typical NALPA witness, either unprepared and uniformed or intentionally misleading. The truth will come out in the end.

"Career expectations" are in the eye of the beholder....extremely subjective....and subject to change.....To base a merger policy around them is simply asking for trouble....

That's why ALPA merger policy isn't built around career expectations, it seeks to minimize negative effects to career expectations, but places much more emphasis on maintaining where you are now. That's why ratios by comparable equipment brought to the merger is now the preferred form of integration.

That's why ALPA merger policy isn't built around career expectations, it seeks to minimize negative effects to career expectations, but places much more emphasis on maintaining where you are now. That's why ratios by comparable equipment brought to the merger is now the preferred form of integration.

Give some examples, without Nicalau, because everyone knows that due to demographics, DOH was not going to happen at to such dissimilar airlines (age wise)

Just some examples.........

Latest resources

Back