• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I handled a tool like John Mickley....I can handle you too!

if you don't know who he is check your memory banks he was the tool on the Dalpa web boards! Just like you are here!

"but in reality he is giving his Governmental approval of a merger"

Ask yourself who would approve a merger such as that. It ain't the DOT.
His is simply speculation, if he ever said it at all.

General Lee said:
Another classic post. So, if most of the DL RJs are not owned, they would go away, and you would be left with 5000 too many employees, and also 1/3 the size (SkyWest INC--total). Wow, you guys would be a powerhouse after that! Mesa would be shakin in their boots. If you tried to buy anything larger, Southwest and Jetblue would run you over. So, you would be left with less than 100 airplanes flying for United only. Good luck with that.

Bye Bye--General Lee

1/3 the size is better than no size like you. Why do you consistenly cheer WN and JetTVblue? These two are more part of the race to the bottom than a FEEDER is. We have no plans to take over ATL. Nothing in mind about flying 737's. You must have worked for DAL during the early 90's. Why are you almost in bed with these LLC's that in reality are your biggest competitor and nemisis? I find it hard to believe that your not railing all the LLC's in the so called Major board. Why don't you ask them why you can fly coast to coast for $99? without a seat assingment? DAL is 50% responsible for putting SkyWest on top today. Don't hate the player hate the game your management is shoveling.

Russ said:
"but in reality he is giving his Governmental approval of a merger"

Ask yourself who would approve a merger such as that. It ain't the DOT.
His is simply speculation, if he ever said it at all.

Yeah, there isn't ever any talking between agencies......You're wrong. The Bush administration calls the shots, and Mineta is right there. Why would he speculate openly at a conference about something like a merger? Have you ever heard him say that about any other potential merger? I didn't think so. Did you see how much press he got from saying that? A lot.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Halo_RJdriver said:
1/3 the size is better than no size like you. Why do you consistenly cheer WN and JetTVblue? These two are more part of the race to the bottom than a FEEDER is. We have no plans to take over ATL. Nothing in mind about flying 737's. You must have worked for DAL during the early 90's. Why are you almost in bed with these LLC's that in reality are your biggest competitor and nemisis? I find it hard to believe that your not railing all the LLC's in the so called Major board. Why don't you ask them why you can fly coast to coast for $99? without a seat assingment? DAL is 50% responsible for putting SkyWest on top today. Don't hate the player hate the game your management is shoveling.

No size like us? Huh? Say what? Ok..... We will likely merge and you will still be fighting for feed opportunities. And, most fares have gone up lately. And, with ASA now onboard, we control 75% of "SkyWest INC" flying. You really don't want us to fail. There is a difference between the LCCs and SkyWest when it comes to us---SkyWest is "insulated" from high fuel costs, and they still brag how profitable they are. Well, thanks to us taking it in the shorts for you guys, you are doing well and are cocky.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Haywahd Jablomi said:
I handled a tool like John Mickley....I can handle you too!

if you don't know who he is check your memory banks he was the tool on the Dalpa web boards! Just like you are here!

Wow, you handled John Mickley. Amazingly, he is my DAD!!!!!!! You're awesome. And, I don't frequent the dalpa boards, there are too many kooks there.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
General Lee said:
How do you know? Why would the SEC of Transportation--Norman Mineta--ask a question during a conference in China "I wonder if Delta and NW will emerge TOGETHER?" That may not sound like much, but in reality he is giving his Governmental approval of a merger. Anything anyone says in the public arena woudl amount to that---especially at that level. There are no overlapping major hubs, and NW is big in Asia, while DL is big to Europe and South America. It likely WILL happen.

Bye Bye--General Lee

So let me get this straight, Norman spouts off in China and all of the sudden its going to happen? Two carriers the size of NW and DL and the money problems they both have are going to shake hands and make one airline? ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. Norman is not in charge of either airline, has no clue whats going on in these board meetings, so how can anything he says carry water? Ok, so we have his stamp of approval on a merger, big deal.

No overlapping of hubs, ok true. But, who is going to step up to the plate with the LARGE amount of cash flow it would take to make a deal like this to work out? Yea, someone is going to cough up money to two bankrupt carriers of this size to become one mis-managed airline. This is no US Air and America West type deal.

General, Delta and Northwest are on their own. Its a matter of who is the most lucky and can survive.

General Lee said:
SkyWest is "insulated" from high fuel costs, and they still brag how profitable they are. Well, thanks to us taking it in the shorts for you guys, you are doing well and are cocky.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Fuel purchase by leg has been required by Delta for all connection carriers since the very beginning. It's simply fee for departure, just how Delta wanted it. If you want to piss and moan, talk to your own management about it. They're the idiots that came up with it, as a display of stupidity they hired you didn't they?

General Lee said:
So what would you do? Quickly ask someone else to feed them? That is ridiculous. You would have to beg, and many airlines have feed agreements in contract form.(can't just break those contracts!) You are dreaming if you think you can replace that much feed that quickly. Your management guys would have to scramble to think of something, and an Indy Air type model might fit for awhile (have to do something with those planes---lots of them), and then every LCC would pounce on you. You might want to hope DL doesn't liquidate. You have too many RJs.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General,

You'll have to forgive me if I missed this being covered somewhere but I just did a Cliff Notes scan of this thread so here is this Ramp Rat's two cents.

Now, what would we do?

Well, XJet just lost 69 planes worth of flying. I would be surprised if butt's have not already spent a lot of miles in airplane seats between SGU and IAH considering the good relationship we've had with CO in the past, our IAH ops shutdown notwithstanding. And from my understanding that was just CO wanting a good cost on 30+ seat prop flying and us not wanting to add the cost of another fleet type just to keep the contract.

NW is looking at starting a regional to feed themselves. No reason to think if the price is right they wouldn't look at another regional to do the work and scuttlebutt has it that we have talked to them before.

Now, I'm going to have to dig to support this one, and while I can't find the article now, I thought I read on Yahoo Finance, that B6 is considering possiblities for codeshare/feed beyond their own EMB-190 ops.

WN has experiemented with feed in the past (Sierra Pacific if I recall flying J31's into SMF I think it was?) and no reason to think they won't entertain it in the future. I think we may have talked them in years in the past about doing this for them but obviously, it didn't pan out.

There could be a few other opportunites I'm missing or forgetting about, but that's a good start. And while if all of these opportunites were to actually happen, I'm not sure it would absorb our whole DLC fleet. If none of them happend, I'm sure anything not switched over to UA would get parked in Marana/Mojave/Victorville/Kingman and furloughs would follow.

And yes if DL goes CH 7 (which I hope they don't) and an opportunity presents iteself, we can replace feed that quickly. We did it when Mesa got the boot from the UAX program in '98. Yep it was tough, yep there were growing pains, but we switched on a UAX op for the whole west coast from SAN to SEA in about six months including getting Embrear to fire up a mothballed production line to whip out a bunch of new Bro's for us to do the job.

So there you go. Best case and worst case. I think we would still survive and it wouldn't be the end of the world but I'm sure it would suck for a while.

Sorry if you feel that you've been taking it in the shorts for us. I won't try and salve your wounds our justify our success. Personally, I think many of the majors have been following an unsustainable business model for far too long. I won't blame it on labor costs, fuel costs or anything else. The major's problem is about more than just that but my opinion is that the majors haven't been in a position to be nimble enough to adjust to the rapidly changing aviation world.

Sad part is, for you guys, I thought Song was a step in the right direction. Glad to see you guys will be keeping some of the best parts that made Song popular.

But hey, I'm just a ramp rat slinging bags and dumping lav's while trying to raid the piggy bank for some flight time. What do I know.

Best,

OORamperpilot

(Edit, too many bags, brain...a pile...of goo....)

P.S. Almost forgot. While I think a lot of us wished Indy well, I don't think they stood a snowball's chance in hell and therefore I think it would be a cold day before Ron and Jerry tried to do something like with any assets that might potentially be idled. Jerry know's all to well how much it costs to fly an RJ solo.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back