SkyWest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TIM47SIP,

Thank you, you and a few others seem to be the only ones to get my point, that SkyWest and ASA would be hurt badly if Delta liquidates. That is all I was saying here. Nobody wants that to happen, and it is doubtful that it will.

CFIT,

Until the numbnuts statement, I almost thought you were a real person typing something of value. SkyWest will still take a large hit ($400 million worth) if they have to put ASA down, and all of the employees at ASA and half of the jets and employees on the DL SkyWest side would sit idle. Not a good scenario. And, who cares if Jerry or Ron are on seperate boards or run the different companies. SkyWest INC would suffer greatly, and it would be hard to find a new feeder contract, especially in ATL where Airtran is the second largest and they don't use RJs as feed, and the other LCCs would swarm in there too. Sure, you guys could try to connect some smaller cities with only RJs, but I don't know how many people in Fayattevile, NC want to go to ATL and connect onto Merridien, MS. Good luck with that.

Illinois,

There could be several scenarios that SkyWest management has thought up, but none of them would be good if DL---over half of their guaranteed revenue--went away. That was my point.

Bye Bye--General Lee

The Titanic took several hours to sink

I don't think DAL will liquidate, likely they will re emerge as a profitable company down the road. If however it goes the other way, I imagine it would be a slow death, ala Eastern, TWA and Pan Am. Plenty of time to jump ship. A DAL in these terms would be easy pickings till its final demise. There would be opportunities for regionals to provide lift to whomever filled the void as DAL receded back from its glory days. So, don't worry about SkyWest General. It will survive with or without Delta.
Can you imagine seeing rows of UA tails in your current ATL gates and plenty of little UA express planes next to them. They are only a paint job away.

Russ said:
The Titanic took several hours to sink

I don't think DAL will liquidate, likely they will re emerge as a profitable company down the road. If however it goes the other way, I imagine it would be a slow death, ala Eastern, TWA and Pan Am. Plenty of time to jump ship. A DAL in these terms would be easy pickings till its final demise. There would be opportunities for regionals to provide lift to whomever filled the void as DAL receded back from its glory days. So, don't worry about SkyWest General. It will survive with or without Delta.
Can you imagine seeing rows of UA tails in your current ATL gates and plenty of little UA express planes next to them. They are only a paint job away.

IF United didn't tank, and we all thought it had a good chance, I really doubt DL will. I see a merger with NW, and then the regionals will have to fight it out for the feed. A couple hubs could be in danger of closing thanks to proximity to the larger hubs, and that will cause those feeders to undercut SkyWest and the like. It will be very interesting for SkyWest---and raises will not be in the picture, for anyone. Also, no Major carrier has enough planes or money (after the high gas bills) to do anything major at ATL if we go away. Only the LCCs have the cash and new airplanes coming. None of them will use ASA for feed in that case--it is not their style and Airtran already tried it. ATL would have a lot of empty gates, and the Governor of GA aready said he will do anything to prevent that.

Bye Bye--General Lee

As far as ATL, no not right away. However if there's a largely vacant market the size of ATL along with the DAL route structure eventually, the vacuum would pull some airline of size in to compete with Air Tran. There's enough used aircraft available and leasing companies abound. The CEO of ILFC sits on the SkyWest BOD, talk about instant aircraft.
What would you expect the GUV to say about what surely must be one of the states larger employers, that he would let it go belly up? Do you think that the home state goveners of Eastern and Pan Am blustered a bit, got the sound bytes out there for consumption only to have the airlines go tango uniform. Do you think the govenor of Pennsylvania wanted the steel industry to tank?
I've seen tag lines on the bottom of past posts from some DAL suit painting a rosy picture for Delta. You latched on to the quote, the person who said it jumped ship and left DAL. Yes/no?

I surely hope that DAL pulls up before impact. My short term future is based on both our major partners being around. Long term though, it would be painful, but SkyWest move move along minus Delta.

Raises? I haven't had a raise since before 911, that doesn't scare me.

Russ said:
As far as ATL, no not right away. However if there's a largely vacant market the size of ATL along with the DAL route structure eventually, the vacuum would pull some airline of size in to compete with Air Tran. There's enough used aircraft available and leasing companies abound. The CEO of ILFC sits on the SkyWest BOD, talk about instant aircraft.
What would you expect the GUV to say about what surely must be one of the states larger employers, that he would let it go belly up? Do you think that the home state goveners of Eastern and Pan Am blustered a bit, got the sound bytes out there for consumption only to have the airlines go tango uniform. Do you think the govenor of Pennsylvania wanted the steel industry to tank?
I've seen tag lines on the bottom of past posts from some DAL suit painting a rosy picture for Delta. You latched on to the quote, the person who said it jumped ship and left DAL. Yes/no?

I surely hope that DAL pulls up before impact. My short term future is based on both our major partners being around. Long term though, it would be painful, but SkyWest move move along minus Delta.

Raises? I haven't had a raise since before 911, that doesn't scare me.

The IFLC chief is on the Board, huh? Well, it means you might be able to get some widebodies from Cathay Pacific when they return them. That means little. They don't have a lot of excess aircraft sitting around. They don't. They are out flying. Could he help order some? Yeah, maybe. But, that would take awhile, and you would have to train people etc....There would be huge logistical nightmares associated with it. Regardless, it won't come to fruition. Delta has most of the ducks in a row right now---only pilot stuff to negotiate (no stew or mechanic talks--no contracts for them), and we have already secured some financing for our credit card contracts. USAir had more than enough outside people financing them, and most doubled their money, which will lead to more people wanting that same type of deal with us. And a merger is likely, with the said approval of our own Transportation Sec in China at a conference. The only bump we see at DL is the negotiation of a new contract with the pilots, and most of that will be handled away from a BK judge. The high cost pensions will be given to the PBGC most likely, and then we will see where we go.

If Delta were to liquidate, more than half of "SkyWest" INC flying would stop, and most of those planes are on undesirable CRJ 50s. That is your problem. Those scope clauses have really kept you from getting anything larger that what would be needed in a stand alone or new partnership. All of them--the 50 seaters, would probably be parked. What would that leave you with? I hope it doesn't happen too. Doubtful it will.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Russ said:
General
You're something on the order of 40 years old, time to act like a 40 y/o and not a new hire at 21.

UH.....That comment could be directed at about 98.9% of the posters here!

I dont know why people are discussing a NW/DL merge...that is NOT going to happen.

i fly boxes said:
What would happen to SkyWest if Delta went out of business? Same queston for ASA? I just want to hear your thoughts on this. Also, If Delta Merged with NWA, would they start flying for Northwest as well?

So glad everybody stayed focussed on your question I bet, huh????? :erm:

Anyways, as an ASA pilot I would expect to be out of a job and scrambling to figure out how to make ends meet.

Is it possible that Skywest could aquire some of those liquidated assets of Delta and keep on truckin? Is it possible that Skywest might actually be able to survive?

General Lee said:
If Delta were to liquidate, more than half of "SkyWest" INC flying would stop, and most of those planes are on undesirable CRJ 50s. That is your problem. Those scope clauses have really kept you from getting anything larger that what would be needed in a stand alone or new partnership. All of them--the 50 seaters, would probably be parked. What would that leave you with? I hope it doesn't happen too. Doubtful it will.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Like I said generalbraindonor, SkyWest doesn't hold the lease to all but a few of the delta RJs, if you go down (like you do, often) they will be yours to park.

Latest resources

Back