SkyWest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Phony Marconi said:
General Lee...that omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent pompous a$$.

What a lo$er!

Go away, please!

Say what you want but what would you do with all of those airplanes....They can not make money selling seats on them....The only way they make money is when they are being used as loss leaders....And like it or not, that kind of thinking is slowly going away.....So pompous or not what would you do?

Even if the General were all of those things, which he isn't, yours is a pretty lame argument against what he said. Surely you can do better than that?

Hey General, ... do I get any brownie points for defending you? Are you willing to buy ALL the beers yet when I fly as your right hand? :beer:

surplus1 said:
Even if the General were all of those things, which he isn't, yours is a pretty lame argument against what he said. Surely you can do better than that?

Hey General, ... do I get any brownie points for defending you? Are you willing to buy ALL the beers yet when I fly as your right hand? :beer:

Yes, yes, I will now buy all of the beers. And, I was just stating that SkyWest (and ASA) would have big problems if Delta did liquidate, but some people on here believe St George is Heaven on Earth---they can do no wrong! Those guys are pretty smart though, look what they have made their own pilots do without the threat of bankruptcy. Amazing. Thanks for backing me up Surplus1, I'll also get the first five walkarounds.....(hopefully FLA turns from ATL)

Bye Bye--General Lee

amcnd said:
SkyWest is a very smart company. Im sure that they were thinking when they secured all of ATL's gate space!! If someone else wanted to come into ATL they would need SkyWest and all there space!

Say what? They have half of one concourse, and 1/3 of another. (out of 6 full concourses) Wow. SkyWest the LCC with RJs will rule ATL. Who cares if Airtran is there too? Southwest wouldn't move in, nah....Neither would Jetblue. Hey, do any of them use RJs for feed?

Bye Bye--General Lee

General
You're something on the order of 40 years old, time to act like a 40 y/o and not a new hire at 21.

Russ said:
General
You're something on the order of 40 years old, time to act like a 40 y/o and not a new hire at 21.

Is that age discrimination? I can act any way I want, right? You need to tell your new hire 21 year olds to start thinking about what they will be doing at SkyWest when they are 40---in that new CR9!!! Yipppeee!

Bye Bye--General Lee

I imagine they will think having a 59 y/o DAL furloughed DAL pulling gear for them is a bit odd.

Come on Guys!

The Gen is correct. He did not say anything just to spite. If Delta liquidates (which is a longshot at best), Skywest has NO CHOICE but to stop all of the Delta feed flying. All of ASA would be let go and some of the remaining Skywest work force would remain to maintain the United feed. Possibly some of the routes could still be flown to make money for Skywest itself, but those routs would be few at best. Even if ASA gets some additional feed from US Air or ??, I am not sure that we would have a contractual right to keep it in this scenario. Skywest would simply have to transfer that additional feed to Skywest to survive. One thing for sure, if Delta goes the way of the Dodo Bird, we are all screwed! This MLOA stuff may not be MLOA if things don't make a turn for the better!:eek:

General Lee said:
Riiiiight. SkyWest would lose over half of it's feed, and then try to use the remaining RJs like Indy Air, and Southwest would be all over them. Jerry Atkin would be asking Ron Reber "Why did we buy ASA and use $400 million when we could have used that money as a cushion?" Ron would say "I thought we were INSULATED?" SkyWest would try to feed someone else, but only after taking huge losses and furloughing most of the pilots. The remaining pilots that weren't on the UAL side would offer to fly any plane up to 180 seats for Brasilia wages, but that still wouldn't help. Skaff would become a lav dumper at LAX, and he would see me in my EVA Cargo MD11.(plenty of INTL hiring with INTL experience or widebody experience) I would throw him a small water and say, "Hey, hurry up with the lavs, I need to lay an egg. And, while you're at it, use that FRESH PINE FOREST spray in there, I like it a lot."

A liquidation of Delta would really really hurt SkyWest (and ASA) and it would not last long because it has only 50 and 70 seaters. Most of the 50s would be parked immediately(on the DL side and all of ASA) SkyWest might be able to survive with just the UAL stuff (if DAL liquidated), but the rest would be shed quickly. A MAJOR downsizing would occur in that case. A DAL merger with NW would probably keep the same feed carriers at the hubs that remain, but the closing hubs (could be MEM and CVG) could cause some of the carriers to fight over new flying. The hub closings are just speculation, though. A whipsaw would result with a few of the carriers no doubt.

Bye Bye--General Lee

What many people don't know is that Delta holds almost all of the leases for the ASA aircraft and all but about 12 of the Skywest/Delta feed aircraft. If Delta tanks the aircraft would go back to the leasors via Delta's default. Skywest would have no option but to furlough many employees but by no means would they disapear. I've heard on many investor telecoms just this type of scenario and Skywest has developed numerous options as a result. Large cities like ATL and SLC will still have people traveling and the need for RJ lift would still be required even if Delta does go down. The aircraft would be repainted for someone else and life would go on.

Also generalnumnuts, Jerry is in charge of both airlines as in SkyWest Inc., Ron is president of just SkyWest airlines. As told to me Ron supported the aquisition of ASA but didn't work on it to a large degree. Delta had asked Skywest to aquire both ASA and Comair about 18 months ago, it was at that time that Ron looked at things with Jerry and supported just getting ASA.

For good or bad almost every industry analyst has given Skwest management an A plus while Delta management is well, obviously pretty poor.

General,

Slow down, turbo!

Not one person at SKYW thinks we are impervious. Very few drink the "koolaid". Perhaps painting SKYW pilot's with such a broad makes you feel good, but it doesn't make it true.

If mother Delta went away...SKYW/ASA would be hurt. Without a doubt. But following ACA's model post Indy Air wouldn't happen here. Planes would be parked, and employee's furloughed. Some airline would come into Delta's hub, and probably need some feed. Skywest or ASA would be in a good position to provide that feed. That's it. In your words, sir, "do you get it now?"

Good day.

Latest resources

Back