• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For someone to say that Skywest has given no indication of impending furloughs is absolutely incredible. In fact, they have given every indication that if things don't change(Mesa shut down) there will be furloughs. They have been very diplomatic about it, but the warnings are there.

For someone to say that Skywest has given no indication of impending furloughs is absolutely incredible. In fact, they have given every indication that if things don't change(Mesa shut down) there will be furloughs. They have been very diplomatic about it, but the warnings are there.
Agreed.

STFU about it now.
Thanks for being so civil about it. Now go stick your head back in the sand. Not acknowledging something will most definately make it go away. I'm done dealing with the childish name calling. I'm outta here.

You guys bash SkyWest Pylot because he says he has an "inside source," and says to start making back up plans if you're a junior pilot at OO. Then he posts articles, backs up what he's saying with what your Company Reps are saying. As a result of this, you're a bunch of whiny crybabys when things don't go your way. Face it, this is the worst economic downturn since the 1930's. Times are tough. Deal with it, as every other airline IS.

Trojan

Last edited:
You guys bash SkyWest Pylot because he says he has an "inside source," and says to start making back up plans if you're a junior pilot at OO. Then he posts articles, backs up what he's saying with what your Company Reps are saying. As a result of this, you're a bunch of whiny crybabys when things don't go your way. Face it, this is the worst economic downturn since the 1930's. Times are tough. Deal with it, as every other airline IS.

Trojan

Hey Trojan...Now you are sounding like me...I know things are bad now....:D

Hey Trojan...Now you are sounding like me...I know things are bad now....:D

LMAO, Joe! Things have only gotten better for ASA! And will continue to do so. This economy will turn around, who knows what then....Hyperinflation?

Trojan

The point was made on 1/23/09 about the furlough potential in the Fall via SAPA update. Everyone who needs to know, knows already, as of three weeks ago. My backup plans are made. Old news. Really, really, nothing to see here.

If you start a thread on 2/9 with "inside info," you're either stirring the pot, or your info isn't as "inside" as you thought.

Could we please let this drop now?

-Goose

Last edited:
Dude: I don't take anything on here personally.

I'm seeing various posts on a couple of different forums. Guys are getting worked into a lather about something that likely won't happen. SkyWest has YET to furlough any pilot in 37 years. I trust they will do their level best to keep that from happening now. As I said, they know that a furlough costs far more than the money that might be saved. Fall is still nine months away. Get your S@#& in order, just in case, but don't lose sleep over something that may not happen.

To quote a favorite movie: "You can't change the wind, son. You steer your course. You trim your sails. And, you keep on going."

My Skywest Insider says the bottom 80-100 at SKW are EMB120 guys/gals. He says there is no overstaffing on that end. So if you furlough 150, wouldn't there have to be significant retraining and domicile changes to cover those furloughed from the bottom?

Just my humble opinion, but I can't see how a furlough would make financial sense with this unless there were 400-500 cuts.

To fire up the training center, simulators, pull instructors back off line, pay for domicile changes...all would outweigh any savings made by furloughing 150-200.

W

Dude: I don't take anything on here personally.

I'm seeing various posts on a couple of different forums. Guys are getting worked into a lather about something that likely won't happen. SkyWest has YET to furlough any pilot in 37 years. I trust they will do their level best to keep that from happening now. As I said, they know that a furlough costs far more than the money that might be saved. Fall is still nine months away. Get your S@#& in order, just in case, but don't lose sleep over something that may not happen.

To quote a favorite movie: "You can't change the wind, son. You steer your course. You trim your sails. And, you keep on going."

True dat, true dat.

-Goose

To fire up the training center, simulators, pull instructors back off line, pay for domicile changes...all would outweigh any savings made by furloughing 150-200.

W

... in the short term. In the long term it doesn't make sense to pay so many pilots to sit around. They don't even have many first year FOs on first year pay anymore. There will be downgrades for some as well, so they're going to need to fire up the sims anyway. If nothing else it will give the instructors something more productive to do than constant line checks.

Latest resources

Back