• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest Vote

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If it makes you feel any better, we didn't get any addtional vacation either...and I'm pretty sure ASA is better in that department already anyway!

I doubt it..... we get 4 weeks after 15 years....what's yours?

It doesn't make me feel any better, but despite what the ALPA koolaid salesmen tell you, there isn't much difference, especially for us senior "lifers".....

The 700 rates were depressed because of downward pressure from OTHER ALPA CARRIERS......not from you guys at Skywest.....

There are some good things about ALPA, but collective bargaining isn't one of them..... they forgot the meaning of "collective"....

Competition within a brand will trump ALPA membership every time.......

I doubt it..... we get 4 weeks after 15 years....what's yours?

It doesn't make me feel any better, but despite what the ALPA koolaid salesmen tell you, there isn't much difference, especially for us senior "lifers".....

The 700 rates were depressed because of downward pressure from OTHER ALPA CARRIERS......not from you guys at Skywest.....

There are some good things about ALPA, but collective bargaining isn't one of them..... they forgot the meaning of "collective"....

Competition within a brand will trump ALPA membership every time.......

You get the same amount of vacation that I do after 2 and a quarter decades...

You get the same amount of vacation that I do after 2 and a quarter decades...

4 weeks at Skywest doesn't start until after 22 years? Just to clarify, an ASA pilot after "2 and a quarter decades" also only gets 4 weeks..... even with ALPA.....

4 weeks at Skywest doesn't start until after 22 years? Just to clarify, an ASA pilot after "2 and a quarter decades" also only gets 4 weeks..... even with ALPA.....

They use a formula that they multiply times your flight hour credit, and it capped out several years ago for me.

They use a formula that they multiply times your flight hour credit, and it capped out several years ago for me.

It caps out at ASA after 15 years..... When does it cap out for Skywest pilots?

Something to think about Skywesties:

Compare your pay: If it's within 2% less per hour than the other top regionals, you're ahead of the game. Because you don't pay union dues, and you get profit sharing. Few, if any unionized regionals do get profit sharing.

Which ones do by the way?

In any case, my hat is off to you and your Mitt loving St. George management. For 2008 and beyond, you're the best coat-tailers in the nation!

Not all pilots pay 1.95%. Probationary pilots (one year or more) pay ZERO dues. Non-members pay nothing or a shop fee of 1.45% depending on their MEC policy. Also, 100% of dues are tax deductable which means that for the pilots that do pay dues, their effective dues rate is actually less than 1.95%. Its not a straight apples to apples comparison.

And the 1.95% gets you a whole lot more than negotiating power.

ExpressJet has a profit sharing program for pilots in the contract. If the profit sharing is canceled, pay rates are increased 3%.

...... nawww... the idiots are those of us who send 1.95% of our pay to Herndon and actually believe it gives us leverage in the portfolio whipsaw that Herndon actually helped create with management....

At least the SAPA extended the longevity to 20 years for the senior folks.....what did the senior folks at ASA get?

Just curious, why do you keep paying dues?

You can make this argument but an argument can also be made that Skywest could have mitigated that downward pressure if only they were organized by virtue of their success. Now they are only relegated to getting just below ASA rates.

Just curious, why do you keep paying dues?

......funny you should ask that....

I was on the ALPA negotiating committee that negotiated Agency Shop...... which requires that I pay dues.....You see I am a reformed ALPA koolaid drinker.....

Because of language that I helped negotiate, I can be fired if I don't pay...... Kinda ironic........

You can make this argument but an argument can also be made that Skywest could have mitigated that downward pressure if only they were organized by virtue of their success. Now they are only relegated to getting just below ASA rates.

Not really..... the big downward pressure came from ALPA carriers, including mainline carriers..... The Skywest pilots are some of the highest paid regional pilots out there.....

In fact, in 1998, we used Skywest pay to negotiate higher pay and workrules at ASA.....

Don't believe all the ALPA koolaid....

Latest resources

Back