SkyWest Union vote

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well Scott
Given your statement that you are not willing to pay 2% (your estimate) for the rest of your career, you may be on shaky ground. This drive stands a better chance than the last few and I believe its chances overall of at least fair to good. You might want to start thinking about alternatives if it does go through.

Your last paragraph is factually incorrect. There are right to work states. Depending on the offense, yes you do have to work at it to get fired. there are however certain buttuns that can be punched and torque off SGU while only expressing opinions.

It's time for the pilots of SkyWest to start contributing to this profession.

You mean, to this almighty ALPA. Union, maybe, but mix it up a bit, try another union. There are alternatives. People are actually happy without ALPA in this profession.

I suppose it doesn't matter, then, about contributing to pilot interests on Capitol Hill. You know, when the government toys with the idea of installing cameras in your cockpit, or the Air Transport Association tries to change flight/duty limitations in their favor (that is, not in your favor.) Remember a few years back when the airlines tried to convince the FAA the while you were on reserve you were actually on rest? What about cabotage? Improved airport signage, input in new aircraft design, consulting with the FAA before rule changes?

I'll bet Mr Whitlow at Pan Am III (you know, the 16 hour thing) was happy to be an ALPA member.

A small, in-house, independent union isn't really contributing their fair share to pilot-interest lobbying.

I don't normally comment on the union issue but I think I will this time. My personal opinion regarding SkyWest having a union is that we don't need one RIGHT NOW. When I weigh the benefits of SAPA (SkyWest Airlines Pilots Association) with the unknown of what UPA (Unified Pilots Association) may give us, I go with SAPA. Those that say that UPA will give us all we ever want aren't seeing reality, nor are those that say SAPA is perfect. From my 3.5 years at SkyWest I've seen SAPA resolve a lot of urgent issues quickly.

After saying that I do think SAPA has a serious public relations problem. They don't like to blown their own horn and pat themselves on the back and unfortunately SkyWest pilots don't see what goes on in the background and hence some feel like SAPA is a managment puppet. The SAPA president seat is up for reelection and with a new President perhaps SAPAs PR problem with SkyWest pilots will improve.

For anyone at SkyWest who has filed a PIC (Policy Interpretation Complaint) and seen the process at work-- it really does work. Complaints get fixed and issues do get resolved. If someone wants to be invovled with helping the SkyWest pilot group I really think the first thing they should do is to sit down for 2 minutes and write a PIC to your SAPA rep and see what happens. The next is to attend SAPA meetings on your days off or at least read the SAPA meeting minutes. I've submitted PICs many times and every time the issues have been resolved quickly. Those who complain about SAPA and don't write a PIC to get the issue resolved are going to be the same people who complain about a future union and don't do anything to get issues resolved.

There are longstanding issues that will always be there: more pay, better reserve rules, better retirement, etc. I honestly don't think these will change much with a union. If they do then we'll have to give something up in return. In my opinion what we have going right now with SAPA is better than not knowing what UPA MAY give us in the future. There may come a time when SAPA is not serving us well and when that time comes I will be all for a union. That time has not yet come.

Last edited:
Well said skywest. I was at Skywest from 1987 to 1991 and we voted twice for ALPA.

Although I am pro-union, I do agree that Skywest is a different type of culture that may not need it at this time. A tough argument to most union type people.

SWAdude :cool:

SWA dude
Things have changed at SkyWest. Your before my time, but even my time here has allowed some insight. I was hired a bit before the UA contract and those were far different times. If you still have any here, talk to your buds and ask them to contrast pre and post UA contract life at SkyWest. We have gone from being among the highest paid to a promise from SGU to be industry average. We used to have acceptable schedules and now its not. The seniority list is sidelined every time a bid comes and SAPA won't do anything about it because it costs the company too much money.

I don't pretend my short time here gives me the perspective I would like. I don't believe in re inventing the wheel so I ask from the senior guys what they see as the trends and almost all have seen QOL take a hit.
I have never been a huge union fan, but its time for change.

Russ,

It has been a long time since I have worked for Skywest and alot has changed since my time there. I do have a few that I keep in contact with and I fly with many that have recently worked at Skywest. Only you guys really know whats best for you.

On that note, unions are not the fix all that most assume to be. Since my time at Skywest I have belonged to two different unions. Both I have had a love hate relationship. But neccesary for the environment we are in.

Most pilots are not happy with their unions, but can't live without them.

My guess is that your pilot group will vote down the proposal. Its a huge commitment.

SWAdude:cool:

Let me play devil's advocate for a moment:

Gobi Gred said:
It's time for the pilots of SkyWest to start contributing to this profession.

Would you encourage us to do so at the expense of our own prosperity as a pilot group? I have no doubt that SkyWest pilots benefit from the struggles made by every pilot and every pilot group, legally organized or not, that has come before them, but are you suggesting we "take one for the team" and vote in a union even if it comes at the expense of our prosperity as a company, as a pilot group, and as employee-stockowners?

I think you will have to give us that it is up to SkyWest pilots as a whole, and each pilot individually, to decide if this is right thing to do right now for the benfit of SkyWest pilots (in a quality of life/business sense, not a romantic/moralistic one).

To suggest we vote in a union, even to the detriment of our own pilot group is ridiculous. It goes against the stated reason for SkyWest organizing in the first place: the betterment of the lives of SkyWest pilots.

As a disclaimer let me state that I am tremendously interested in this subject, as are most pilots I talk to here, but I am also of two minds on this subject, again, as most pilots here are. We all realize this is the most important decision this pilot group can make. But ranting and slinging mud on both sides do not help one make a reasoned choice.

Most pilots are unionized by virtue of being hired into a union shop, few have had the responsibility of deciding whether or not that is a good idea.

Last edited:

Most pilots are unionized by virtue of being hired into a union shop, few have had the responsibility of deciding whether or not it is a good idea.

I wanted to pick this out so everyone will see it. This is one of the most insightful things I've read on this board about unions.

Scott

GogglesPisano said:
I suppose it doesn't matter, then, about contributing to pilot interests on Capitol Hill. You know, when the government toys with the idea of installing cameras in your cockpit, or the Air Transport Association tries to change flight/duty limitations in their favor (that is, not in your favor.) Remember a few years back when the airlines tried to convince the FAA the while you were on reserve you were actually on rest? What about cabotage? Improved airport signage, input in new aircraft design, consulting with the FAA before rule changes?

I'll bet Mr Whitlow at Pan Am III (you know, the 16 hour thing) was happy to be an ALPA member.

A small, in-house, independent union isn't really contributing their fair share to pilot-interest lobbying.

I agree that the non-ALPA carriers benefit from ALPAs political actions in general. Has ALPA ever concidered approaching SAPA with the idea of volentary contributions? It might sounds silly, but there is a compelling arguemnt that non-ALPA carriers ought to contribute to ALPAs lobby as we do benefit from it.

Scott

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back