• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest Union vote

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
One thing you SkyWest pilots need to realize is that your management spends thousands of dollars every year on Labor relations. The term labor relations are just a facade for union busting. I've read many of the arguments against having a union posted on this site and they are all straight out of the union busting play book. I congratulate your organizing committee on choosing to go for an independent union. If they had gone the ALPA route management would have exploited that to the fullest extent and make them look like and outside entity. It happens everyday in this industry. Their job is to make the union look like an outsider, to take the U and the I out of UNION. I promise you as you get closer to your voting date management and their despot pilots who you all know who they are will spread the following rumors:
1) We want to improve things but we can’t do it now or its going to look like union busting.
2) We will lose our open door policy and lose our relationship with management.
3) Contacts are easily broken by a judge so why waste your time getting one.
4) They will make the union look like an outside entity.
5) Lets give management one more year and if SAPA does not work out the union drive will be back next year.
6) Why give 2% of your money to someone else.
7) We want expand and a union will hinder our efforts.
8) The UPA will merge with ALPA in the future, and they only care about the majors.
I can go one forever. They will promise you the world and break them the day the vote does not go through. What you need to remember is that if you have a good relationship with your management and they care about you, it will stay the same after you become unionized. Bad labor relations are bad for business. If they care about you so much and have your best interests in mind, they should not have any problems with putting your work rules in a legally binding contract. The reason they don’t want a contract is that they wan to reserve the right to change the rules if they choose to do so. It’s not the first time this has happened and it won’t be the last time. Don’t drink the Kool-Aid no matter how tempting it is. This just happened at Commuter a few months ago. They promised the pilots the world. Many people where on the fence and they drank the Kool-Aid and they all regret it now. I promise that management will not improve thing afterwards. If anything they will worsen since they know you are divided. Remember they look at it as business and so should you. When you go to the negotiating table you need all the support possible. Your independent union will have far more leverage than SAPA. At the least you will get what you already have in a legally binding contract. Good luck and I hope you guys and gals make the right decisions.

When is this vote suppose to happen? Is it something coming up soon or is it going to be one of those year long union campaigns? For those of you with SkyWest pilots in your hubs, start doing some campaigning when you run into them in the McDonalds line.

I realize that the vast majority of you guys think you are doing the right thing by encouraging the in house union. I appreciate your sentiment, and thank you for your efforts even though I disagree. There is a whole list of reasons of why now is not a good time for THIS in house organizing effort... I just don't think it's a good idea to smear those reasons around on a public site. I have worked at other companies, non union, and Skywest is definitely different. I believe one day that Skywest will be a union shop, but now is not the right time, or at least, this is not the right way. And no, I am not going to quote the company 'union busting' rhetoric.... I have my own. :)

So while I do appreciate your point of view... remember it's not your company, it's not something YOU will have to live with should it go the wrong way. So if you run into me in the McD's line at an airport don't bring up the union drive. We can chat about something else more friendly.

So when is this vote suppose to go down? If you answer that question for me then I will leave you alone in the Mcdonalds line. If I don't get an answer then I'll bother you about it.

I do agree with you on what you said. It's your deal and you will have to live with it not us. If you guys can get what you want as a pilot group without a union, all the more power to ya. The day will come when Jerrry A and the boys start screwing you over and telling you they can't help you out because they have to compete with some of the bottom feeders out there. When that day arrives then you'll need a union. However, it may be a wise choice to get a union in house and figure out HOW to use it before you NEED to use it. Just my thoughts.

No word yet on when the vote will happen, they just petitioned the NMB a week or so ago.

What a lot of outsiders don't understand, or I guess really don't know... is that a large percentage of the anti-union crowd are not in fact drinking the company Kool Aid. I for one HAVE been screwed by the company many times, feel we are now, and expect to be in the future. I just disagree with the in house union crowd on the best way to handle it. I am not alone here either.

I'm sure the details of the vote will be made public as soon as they are established. And I'm sure that people outside of the company will make their opinions known... and hey, that's fine. I just hope that my bretheren make their cases known to those who can do something about it... ie the rest of the SkyWest pilots, rather than whining on here like I am doing. ;)

See you guys at McD's.

Thanks for the info I just wanted a timeframe for when something was going to happen. I also agree with the whining on public boards. Your energy should be used elswhere as you stated, but it does at least give some a place to vent. Unionizing is a VERY serious decision to make and one that should not be taken lightly. Unfortunatley, many peoeple will take it lightly and not realize the impact it will have on their job. I work for an ALPA carrier and see BOTH the good and bad that a union brings to a pilot group. In a perfect world we wouldn't need ALPA and I could spend my 1.95% on aluminum wheels and chrome for my sweet 97 Saturn. Until we have a perfect world, I think unions are going to be necessary in the aviation world, especially over the next decade within the regional industry.

Ahhh...the big bad union.

Many of you have read my posts on organization, the RLA and ALPA. Do a search.

TWA had an in house union in "the beginning" A history lesson for us all.

Ask the Mesaba guys how effective thier campaign would have been without ALPA.

Each MEC is thier own with the National level support.

ALPA has it's problems, like any organization.

Why did FedEx and CO come back to ALPA?

Are 66,000 professional pilots just plain stupid?

Having an in house union is like have the prosecutor simultaneously act as your defense attorney.

A vote for ALPA or your own union is a promise to volunteer. Don't expect others to do your work. You want it clean?...pick up the mop.

ALPA has been around since 1931. The ATA was formed in part to combat ALPA's effectiveness on CapHill. (has ALPA been destroying airlines for that long? :D)

Unions don't ruin companies...bad management does. Need I say the L word?

Required reading...see below. Education is the key. ALPA isn't a black and white choice. Get informed and choose what is best for you.

Sky West Gouge

Got a call from OO today. Does anyone know where to get the best gouge on the interview?

Thanks in advance,
Respectfully flyingforfood...

Having an in house union is like have the prosecutor simultaneously act as your defense attorney

I have to disagree with you on this one. Most regional pilots understand that times have changed and they will not be moving on to the majors like they had planned. Having a union, ALPA, who looks out for the intersts of it's mainline members ahead of it's regional members is like having your prosecutor be your attorney. I don't want to turn this into an RJDC thing, I don't agree with what they are trying to accomplish, but they do make a few good points.

Having an in house union is like have the prosecutor simultaneously act as your defense attorney.

I echo MONKEY's sentiments and also add that this analogy simply does not make any sense.

Maybe I’m just a dumb pilot, but an in house union does not mean that the company runs it... simply means an independent union funded by and run by it's own members within the company. If you came to another conclusion Rez, maybe you are the one that needs to get informed. An argument could be made however that your example is what we have now... I don't agree entirely, but I could see how you could get there.

I don't think that 66,000 pilots are stupid. If you work for UAL, DAL or the like, it's necessary and makes sense. But when your livelihood is in direct contrast with other groups that your union may serve... well that leaves you at a disadvantage. But that's neither here nor there, and I am sorry if I have made this a pro/anti union post.

My point is that until you get your SkyWest seniority number, and have been here long enough to get away from the Kool Aid drinkers... you can't tell me what SkyWest pilots should or should not do. It is our decision, and only we know what's best. I would never tell you or your pilot groups what you should do!

For somebody who has stated that he wants to stay out of the fray, I know I am writing a lot of posts. I'm out with a herniated disc, and am now bored out of my skull. My apologies that ya'll have to suffer too! :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back