• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest to open a CRJ PDX and SEA base in July

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
6 year SKW RJ CA 1/2 the year on reserve (try not to fly on reserve)
As of Aug 31 $76,500
613 block = $124hr

Last edited:
The downward pressure isn't coming from Skywest folks...It's coming from Pinnacle, Republic, and Trans States Holdings...ALL of which ARE UNION...Put down the union crack pipe folks....

But its easier to dump on Skywest guys than to look at the facts...

Very true...The fact is, many of these guys are jealous of what Skywest pilots have and they show it by attacking you...They work for Pinnacle, or Trans States, or Mesa...all ALPA, or they work for Republic which is Teamsters, and they are pissed that you make more, have better work rules, and you don't have to pay 2% for the "privledge" of being a union member...The jealousy comes out as attacks...Which makes it even more unlikely that Skywest will ever unionize....These union chest thumping idiots just don't get it....

Sorry, I had missed all this fun. But I was reminded of it on another post. So I've found where I've discussed this on another forum (crackpipe) because I couldn't find the same thread I've had this discussion on here and on APC. Here it is:

"For example, when I do the math for my total compensation , I come up with an adjusted hourly rate of $55.57. I'm on 6 year FO pay. And if I include the 77% the company pays for on my medical and dental insurance, the adjusted pay rate goes up to $77.41. And if you want to throw in perdiem, its $83.76. I know, still too low for a total compensation. Cue Dojet with TTAFB (which works out to be about $24)."

I don't know what the company pays for my medical and dental but if I add in just the 401K with match and per diem it bumps it up to about $124/hr. You could also add in accrued vacation and sick time and some other stuff I'm sure, but the idea is to try to make as clean a comparison as possible.

If you decline the health benefits, do you get to keep that 77% company contribution? I don't think so.

I don't know what the company pays for my medical and dental but if I add in just the 401K with match and per diem it bumps it up to about $124/hr. You could also add in accrued vacation and sick time and some other stuff I'm sure, but the idea is to try to make as clean a comparison as possible.

If you decline the health benefits, do you get to keep that 77% company contribution? I don't think so.

No, my idea was to compare total compensation and QOL in a fair and comprehensive way. And no, I don't get the company contribution if I decline health insurance. I don't subscribe to our vision plan so therefore I didn't include that in my calculations. But the company contribution is a contractual requirement and therefore part of total compensation if I elect to participate in them. Just as our company retirement contribution AND the 401k match is contractual as well and included since I participate in them.

In other words, if your work rules allows you to work 100 hours instead of just your minimum guarantee or less, yet you decide to work those extra hours, then of course that extra money would be part of your total compensation. Which is why I made a point of calculating it off of total block hours flown in order to garner a not just total compensation but also QOL measurement.

By the way, all my calculations were made with our 50 seat pay rate since we don't have any other aircraft. So I guess you can make an argument that its only a fair comparison within people who fly 50 aircraft.

Last edited:
Jerry is screwing with you. He wasn't talking just about pay rates. I've seen Jerry's take on compensation in writing. He conciders the premiums on insurance that Skywest pays for you and its contribution to your 401k and countless other things I can't recall from that list of his, as "compensation". Skywest use to tell us what our "compensation" was. My "compensation" was like double what my W2 was.

Yes, you are right. It wasn't just about pay rates. They had some time for due diligence and that included an analysis of our contract. They four specific areas from our contract that they wanted to eliminate or get concessions from. They calculated each one as a 4% concession. So it did include such things as premiums on insurance, 401k matching, etc. But he also included Skywest's profit sharing and Performance+ in the calculations (which is bogus since neither of those are guaranteed). He said that our contract was, on average, 16% more than Skywest and 12% more than ASA (this was before ASA had turned their PBS on which SKW equated to a 4% concession). Basically, they wanted everyone on a level playing field going forward.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back