• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest talking pilot pay raise

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Should we get paid 80 percent more for flying a 90? I'd love to, but in the current airline industry, I hardly think it's realistic with or without a union. Hopefully, we can work out some kind of blended or split rate for the RJ.

If the expectations of you an your pilot group are low like you have stated above, then perhaps not. It is not what is realistic and what is not realistic. What is important is what your pilot group can negotiate. The more unified you are the better it will be. Also, the pay structure for the larger AC is not as simple of percentage of PAX carried. There are many other factors such as operating cost per PAX seat mile. The larger the AC the lower the number. Its based on that fact and many others that Pilot unions ask for more money for flying the larger AC. If you have low self worth then you can expect low pay.

Well Im 26 pretty good looking, have a black on black 2006 S2000, alwasy shine my shoes wear my hat ever so slightly to the side, where my jacket when the temp calls for it, and as a matter of fact I do have a very nice Chase-Durer watch, hey what can say when girls see me in my uniform they can;t help but look and smile, and believe it or not a few looks & smiles have turned into some pretty interesting nights, Hey I am proud of what I do.

P.S. now when I am in the cockpit I loosen my tie and I am by no means arrogent, just try to resemble Leonarido Dicaprio in, "catch me if you can" hahaah. First impression may imply I am cocky, and this and that, but I show the utmost respect for my captains, becuase they know more than me, and I honestly like to show up to work looking professional!

Last edited:
If the expectations of you an your pilot group are low like you have stated above, then perhaps not. It is not what is realistic and what is not realistic. What is important is what your pilot group can negotiate. The more unified you are the better it will be. Also, the pay structure for the larger AC is not as simple of percentage of PAX carried. There are many other factors such as operating cost per PAX seat mile. The larger the AC the lower the number. Its based on that fact and many others that Pilot unions ask for more money for flying the larger AC. If you have low self worth then you can expect low pay.

Give me a break. Our expectations are high, but not unrealistic. Almost $120/hr to fly a 90 seat jet? Like going in to a car dealer to buy a used 2005 Lexus LS430 with 30,000 miles and offering $5,000 bucks. The salesperson would laugh you off the lot! Hey, but I guess we're getting laughed at with the little amount of money we make now, so why not go for it, huh?

If the SkyWest pilots were smart then they'd take the payraise and vote in the union. Status quo while negotating their contract would mean that they would keep it and possibly negotiate rates on top of what they just got.

Citation Shares did it!

Just a quick question, how many people complain that Southwest flies 737-800 airplanes for 737-300 seat pay? Or that UPS flies 747 aircraft for 727 pay?

It's a very subtle difference in terminology that you're missing. A weighted average of two or more existing rates is "blended." Flying 80% more seats for existing rates is "bended."

i find this one funny- who was striking hat we have replaced- and im positive that we at skywest make more than quite a few alpa union pilots so by your definitions- you could be a scab because you (might) be one of those pilots who make less than the union standard- i believe they call it a "bar" stupid really- we at skywest so far- have chosen not to join a union- i believe the union terminology is refused.... we had/have a choice. this is AMERICA right- i choose no union- if it comes- then I deal with it. I do make more without a union though.

continue flaming...
Maybe you should educate yourself first. The following is the definition from several dictionaries;

webster:a contemptible person b (1) : a worker who refuses to join a labor union (2) : a union member who refuses to strike or returns to work before a strike has ended (3) : a worker who accepts employment or replaces a union worker during a strike (4) : one who works for less than union wages or on nonunion terms

Dictionary.com: a worker who refuses to join a labor union or to participate in a union strike, who takes a striking worker's place on the job, or the like.

If we wanted to be a powerful unified force, ALPA needs to have 1 seniority list for all ALPA carriers. Having different lists at different ALPA carriers is ineffective.

This is probably one of the smartest things I've ever heard from a SKYW pilot. I assume there are more over there like him. Problem is, this probably will never happen in our lifetime. If it does, it would be the best thing ALPA has ever done in it's history to protect pilots and the profession.

we arent interested in reality we want negotiationg strength!!!! so we can send a dude named rocco or tony over and twist an arm or two in order to negotiate a high enough wage so we can bankrupt the airline!!! just like alpa did with delta, united... well you know- all the bankrupt guys..

dude you are clueless- we want our company to be successful, we want a better pay situation. alpa will not provide either- do you not get that?

we arent interested in reality we want negotiationg strength!!!! so we can send a dude named rocco or tony over and twist an arm or two in order to negotiate a high enough wage so we can bankrupt the airline!!! just like alpa did with delta, united... well you know- all the bankrupt guys..

dude you are clueless- we want our company to be successful, we want a better pay situation. alpa will not provide either- do you not get that?

So THAT'S what caused all of those bankruptcies.

and you are calling people clueless.......What you seem to know about unions would fit between Rosie O"Donnells a$$ and a seat cushion. So I take it you have read Flying the Line? Confessions of a Union Buster?

Latest resources

Back