Skywest, Sapa and pressuring pilots to fly

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Max Q,

Boiler beat me to the exact quote.. but he is dead on.. it's the same way you aren't supposed to fly with a head cold.. not a condition specifically cited by part 67.. but you are still expected to call in sick and exercise your best judgement.

I don't have the references in front of me.. but there are studies that show the level of impairment of being fatigued, in relation to the level of impairment of certain antihistamines and such, and the articles conclude that fatigue is a serious medical condition.

If you deem yourself unfit to fly then you deem yourself unfit to exercise the privileges of your medical. That is any airmens right under Part 61.53

Not saying you are incorrect although I had no idea pilot fatigue was considered a “medical condition”.

I interpret 61.53 as a means of 1) preventing pilots from withholding medical deficiencies from an AME and 2) preventing the pilot from taking medication that would disqualify an airman for a medical certificate.

Hypothetically (because this wouldn't happen where I work), If I call scheduling to tell them I'm unfit to fly due to fatigue, I want to know exactly what section of the regs to reference if they try to jerk me around. I can agree with BoilerUp with 67.113 since it includes "...functional defect... makes the person unable to safely perform the duties..." as well as 91.13 with reckless operation.

Something along the lines of, “I am unable to meet the requirements of FAR XXX.xx (x) x….”

Thanks for the input guys.

-Brett

Last edited:
Not saying you are incorrect although I had no idea pilot fatigue was considered a “medical condition”.

I interpret 61.53 as a means of 1) preventing pilots from withholding medical deficiencies from an AME and 2) preventing the pilot from taking medication that would disqualify an airman for a medical certificate.

Hypothetically (because this wouldn't happen where I work), If I call scheduling to tell them I'm unfit to fly due to fatigue, I want to know exactly what section of the regs to reference if they try to jerk me around. I can agree with BoilerUp with 67.113 since it includes "...functional defect... makes the person unable to safely perform the duties..." as well as 91.13 with reckless operation.

Something along the lines of, “I am unable to meet the requirements of FAR XXX.xx (x) x….”

Thanks for the input guys.

-Brett

An interesting post...
At ASA and thanks to ALPA if we mention fatigue, then thats it the crew/pilot is put to rest. The flight is considered unsafe with that crew member and someone else needs to do the flight. We do not get paid for it or anything like that, but 50+ people and crew hopefully have a nice safe flight, with a well rested crew.
Do we have to point our FARs? Nope.

With ALPA, you wouldn't have to deal with a wrongful termination attorney, because a guy like myself or John Pennekamp would have stormed into the CP's office and taken care of it on the spot. The idea that anyone is even tasked with explaining themselves for a fatigue call is asinine. And no, counting on the FAA to defend you is not a smart move. Depending on their own political connections with an airline or a specific CP, you could find out that the POI isn't really interested in defending you.

Depending your own political connections with an airline or specific MEC/LEC rep, you could find out that your ALPA attorney isn't interested in defending you either. I speak from personal experience.

ALPA attorneys are a joke. They're like public defenders . . you might get a good one, but chances are, you'll get one that couldn't cut the mustard in private practice. They take the ALPA job because while they might suck, they're connected. And they're overwhelmed with minutia, so they prioritize based on your "political connections" in the union.

A well researched, well-recommended "private gun" lawyer will do a much better job. Yeah, it costs, but do you really want to entrust your livelihood and professional reputation to the ???ALPA attorney. No thanks.

This is the same ALPA that has ineffectually lobbied Congress for decades without any meaningful results. When you're paying for a service, results count. (except when dealing with holy "ALPA", of course) And fatigue is such an incredibly important issue, this should be the one, and the only thing ALPA deals with, before they do ANYTHING else.

(But I sincerely appreciate your spirt and willingness to go to bat for the pilot group. If there's one thing about ALPA I appreciate, it's their volunteers who actually WORK)

================================

Last edited:
Oh, there is no way, and I mean NO WAY any chief pilot at a large airline at SKYWEST is going to tell a pilot on a recorded line to fly after the "f" word has been used. Record your own phone calls if you're paranoid.

Mesa had a section in their FAA-signed off manuals that specifically PROHIBITED pilots from flying while fatigued. If Mesa had it, it's a fair bet that every other 121 carrier out their does as well. Pick up your g-damned manual and read it to any chief pilot "pressuring" you to fly, because as far at the FAA is concerned, your company manual is just as binding as a FAR.

If anyone EVER tells you to do something that contradicts a manual in your possession, tell them to put it in writing first. I did this twice at Mesa. Both times, after a 10 minute hold, I was told "nevermind" and went home. In other words, grow a pair.

Last edited:
Depending your own political connections with an airline or specific MEC/LEC rep, you could find out that your ALPA attorney isn't interested in defending you either. I speak from personal experience.

ALPA attorneys are a joke. They're like public defenders . . you might get a good one, but chances are, you'll get one that couldn't cut the mustard in private practice. They take the ALPA job because while they might suck, they're connected. And they're overwhelmed with minutia, so they prioritize based on your "political connections" in the union.

Sorry, but that's just not the case. Rez's earlier post about ALPA's attorneys is spot-on. These guys are die-hard trade unionists that work their butts off for ALPA members. All of them have extensive experience that they could use to net a massive pay increase at a prestigious firm, but they choose to keep fighting the good fight. You simply can't find an attorney that knows the RLA and general labor law as it applies to pilots as well as these guys do. In all matters related to my profession, I'd rather have an ALPA attorney defending me rather than even the very best private practice labor attorney.

And after you fly fatigued and bust an altitude or wreck an aircraft the company will run away like a ramper pushing a jet back into a tug. They will state they don't pressure pilots to fly fatigue with a smile on their face.

The Feds will hang you for careless and reckless operation (91.13) of an aircraft and you'll never get a good flying job again. The company will fire you and say "we just got rid of our problem, we don't have a fatigue problem here at SKWY"

That is the best reason to vote ALPA! You are absolutely correct.

You were scheduled for less than 14 hours. No wrong there. Issues beyond the company's control caused you to believe that you were going to be fatigued in the future. This bs about exceeding 14 hours is bs too. Many crews are normally scheduled for 14 hour shifts. 16 hours is the absolute limit per FAA. You have no ground to stand on. Either you are too fatigued to continue right now or you're not. I'm not in management btw.

Sorry, but that's just not the case. Rez's earlier post about ALPA's attorneys is spot-on. These guys are die-hard trade unionists that work their butts off for ALPA members. All of them have extensive experience that they could use to net a massive pay increase at a prestigious firm, but they choose to keep fighting the good fight. You simply can't find an attorney that knows the RLA and general labor law as it applies to pilots as well as these guys do. In all matters related to my profession, I'd rather have an ALPA attorney defending me rather than even the very best private practice labor attorney.

Sorry, but my "near-[career] death" moment at Mesa demonstrated otherwise. I didn't get an ALPA rep for the chief pilot carpet dance, I didn't get a return call from the numerous voice mails to the ALPA attorney. I was told by my local LEC rep that the ALPA attorney was "too busy dealing with REAL problems" and that I should "try again if I get an actual violation."

You experience may vary, of course. When a certain MEC officer purportedly stalled an aircraft in calm air at altitude, I wonder if he got the same treatment from ALPA? Or did he get their full attention and TLC?

ALPA's crowning "glory" is that everyone gets treated equally, no matter how idiotic or incompetent. Or so they say. Frankly, I think it's as political as any other organization, and a hell of a lot less effective than most paid-for "talent".

I have been told to fly when I told them I was fatigued. Both times by Chief pilots. first time I did because i was a new capt, second time i told them to pound sand. its all about the schedule, if they can let you call in fatigued and still get the schedule done, its ok, if they cant cover you, its not ok. and i have been told that in not so many words.

Latest resources

Back