Skywest, Sapa and pressuring pilots to fly

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ALPA would have backed him 100%

Of course. I've backed pilots in identical situations on dozens of occasions. I'd even get on the phone with scheduling and talk on behalf of the pilot. He wouldn't even have to mess with the BS himself.

Time for a real union, guys.

The guy was fatigued, so case closed... BUT, the 14 hour thing is not relevent to his argument.

The policy is about SCHEDULING more than 14 hours. As in, scheduling calls you up and reflows you and you will go over 14 hours, you now have the option to say no. But just because your 12 hour day stretched into 15 hours does not automatically give you the right to stop working at 14 hours.

Of course they didn't have any jurisdiction, because SAPA doesn't have any real jurisdiction over any areas. SAPA is worthless. It's a $600k yearly expense that Skywest pays to keep a union off of the property. That's it. Nothing more.

Got ALPA?

Well said! Here's a few thoughts for all SkyWest Pilots to ponder, I never like what if's, but...

If you called in fatigued and your chief pilot wanted you in his office ASAP to explain your actions would you want ALPA or SAPA representing you?

If you were fatigued and involved in an accident or an incident would you want ALPA or SAPA representing you?

If you had issues with your medical would you want ALPA or SAPA representing you?

If you busted a checkride or PC would you want ALPA or SAPA representing you?

If the current management personnel at SkyWest were to change (actually happening as we speak) would you want ALPA or SAPA representing you?

If a crewmember or passenger injured themselves onboard your aircraft would you want ALPA or SAPA representing you?

If we were to merge seniority lists with ASA would you want ALPA or SAPA representing you?

SAPA elections have a 20% voter turnout. Who would better able to unify the SkyWest pilot group ALPA or SAPA?

Do you like working 5 and 6 days in a row, with only two days off in between, it happens every month with PBS to junior and senior crewmembers alike. I know reserves being sent on 5 and 6 day TDY trips (That's 5 and 6 days straight flying away from home with no days off) Who would be better suited to address scheduling issues, ALPA or SAPA?

I hate paying 150 bucks a month for car and homeowners insurance, but what if?

How much is your ATP or Commercial certificate worth to you? ALPA may not get me a raise? but 2% is cheap career insurance.

When we call in fatigued at ASA, it's no questions asked. All you do is call a CP and leave a message.

Want to know why?

Because about 4 years ago, a pilot attempted to call in fatigued and the base chief pilot (Chromer then) attempted to harass him and pressured him to continue. An ALPA rep (me) crawled up his ass, pulled out a cell phone and called the FAA on the spot. Said pilot went home, said CP got his little pee-pee whacked, and ASA no longer messes with fatigued pilots.

Can SAPA do that for you? Doesn't sound like it.

And after you fly fatigued and bust an altitude or wreck an aircraft the company will run away like a ramper pushing a jet back into a tug. They will state they don't pressure pilots to fly fatigue with a smile on their face.

The Feds will hang you for careless and reckless operation (91.13) of an aircraft and you'll never get a good flying job again. The company will fire you and say "we just got rid of our problem, we don't have a fatigue problem here at SKWY"

Sad, but that is exactly what would happen....

It's like accepting to take a defered APU A/C in the middle of the summer, you don't get an air cart, you board the peeps, and one of them expire while still at the gate because of the heat....well, you did the company a favor by taking the A/C. Now you will be on your own with this case...at the court...

Fatigued is fatigued..

we are talking FAR's here had nothing to do with union representation.

Once the words "I'm fatigued" are on a recorded line you hang up and go home.. company says ANYTHING other than thanks for the call and the next call is too the POI.

DONE.

Sounds like the situation explained above though the captain "threatened" fatigue which is different. If this schedule isn't modified we may need to call fatigued.. often times an effective way of dealing with crew scheduling. If they call your bluff and make you fly it though you either fly one more leg and then actually call fatigued or suck it up and finish the day..

cale

Nevermind

Last edited:
Fatigued is fatigued..

we are talking FAR's here had nothing to do with union representation.

Once the words "I'm fatigued" are on a recorded line you hang up and go home.. company says ANYTHING other than thanks for the call and the next call is too the POI.

DONE...

Not to split hairs here but from an FAR standpoint, they were legal to start AND they finished "legally" as well. Was FAR 121.471 written in full consideration of the well being of the pilot?

-Brett

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back