• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest RJ Captain down to 1 year!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not to flame, but I just jumped with a Skywest crew the other day. Watch the Capt. climb the -700 at 250 inidicated with a full boat. I kept biting my tongue to see when he'd realize that he'd run out of energy on the wing. Thank God he was smart enough to ask for a level off to speed up.

:rolleyes:

Well thank the big guy in the sky that you gave us the disclaimer or I would of thought that you we're trying to flame. I should have started this by saying: No to be sarcastic, BUT...

In case any other arm chair QB cares:
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Fuel conservation profile...200 to 10,000 then 250 to .74

To play devils advocate...

The GIs at war? They don't make decisions, their commanders do.

I directly lead over 40 people in Army at the age of 25. Decisions I make impact my soldier's lives, most of whom are 18-20 years old. You can argue my commanders make decisions, but when it comes to think-on-your-feet live or die decisions, they're not being made by 40 year olds.

Don't tell me maturity only comes with age. I've seen more maturity and technical competence out of an 18 year old than you will ever show.

I am also just behind that latest upgrade on the seniority list. If you want to argue my decision making and maturity be my guest.

Not to flame, but I just jumped with a Skywest crew the other day. Watch the Capt. climb the -700 at 250 inidicated with a full boat. I kept biting my tongue to see when he'd realize that he'd run out of energy on the wing. Thank God he was smart enough to ask for a level off to speed up.

Do you fly the -700?

"Let me add to that, that y'all at Skywest WILL get your turn in the mill. Enjoy your 1 year upgrades, because by the time you hit 10 years, Skywest will have found a way to replace you, just as they have with us. "

Funny that you scold pilots for "enjoying" the one year upgrade. I would suggest that some 2200/2600 pilots passing on this slot is evidence to the contrary. People on this board love generating the image of SkyWest pilots excitedly taking others flying. The reality is that most of us are hunkered down on the West Coast, some happily flying 24 legs a week in the EMB-120 and couldn't care less about this RJ growth.
There is a need for leadership - we would be so much better off combining pilot groups. I wish it would happen - just don't think it'll happen.

Last edited:
dgdapilot you should have taken the controls before things got out of control. Let me guess his wing didn't run out of energy did it? Did you give him a good post flight brief about how to fly his airplane?

Oh yeah and fins if price is such a determinate in transfering planes how come ya'll aren't taken our fifty's. After all you "undercut" us more on 50 rates than we "undercut" you on the 70's.

Disclaimer: I have no problem with ASA, i just think its BS how SKW guys get blamed for things we don't control/have nothing to do with.

Oh yeah and fins if price is such a determinate in transfering planes how come ya'll aren't taken our fifty's. After all you "undercut" us more on 50 rates than we "undercut" you on the 70's.
Please re-read
What SkyWest is doing is going after longevity. This is not about $1.50 an hour in pay, it is about a 10 year Captain's pay v/s pay for a 2 year Captain. That means with this model we are all going to work in a 5 year cycle (as explained to us by ASA management and Mr. Atkin). Most of us have no desire to start over every 5 to 10 years and will leave the "profession" before taking the responsibilities of Captain to the employment cycle of a waitress.

fair enough, but dude in my base there is not a RJ captain under 5 years so i don't buy you seniority arguemnet. Same goes for TUS, SBA, PSP,FAT, SFO, LAX. I agree with your theory in princible, but in the 35 years SKW has been around they have never started an alter ego not when the EMBs came, not when the RJs came. On the last award there was one 1 year, a handfull of 2 years and the rest 3+ upgrades. We have plenty of lifers here who aren't going anywhere just like ya'll.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back