SkyWest RJ Captain down to 1 year!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Very sad.....

hope no SKYW spikey hair, sunglasses resting on their forehead wonderpilots start making mistakes.

13 months, shoot, some of them'll probably upgrade without having ever de-iced. yay.

Sad. Isn't it, though?!?h

IMO, if these regionals keep hiring nothing but low time wonderpilots, they will have no choice but to hire street captains as their f/o's won't have the mins to upgrade.

IMO, if these regionals keep hiring nothing but low time wonderpilots, they will have no choice but to hire street captains as their f/o's won't have the mins to upgrade.
But that is not a problem, that is the solution from a cost standpoint. The closer you can keep pilots to zero seniority, the better. Less time off and less pay. If a street Captain will work for first year pay to get PIC, terrific!

SkyWest guys think they are immune. They are not. They are next.

Name one non branded regional airline that has grown and sustained that growth / size? Nobody has except Eagle, which did so using their scope.

This is going to be a cycle. Some airlines have survive the first purge and are on a mild upswing, but understand the purge occurrs. ASA is getting purged right now and they are chasing folks like me out simply because I'm $30,000 more a year than a junior Captain upgrade. SkyWest will be next, as soon as the currently booked RFP flying award is staffed. (Delta, Continental, NorthWest and United have all performed purges at one time or another. Delta did the honorable thing and bought pilots out with early retirement, others achieved similar financial goals through the Bankruptcy process. At least they were able to maintain some job security.)

Labor is often touted as the single greatest controllable cost at an airline. Obviously contracts are under attack, but what is much more insidious and dangerous is the attack on your longevity. The only way to combat this cycle is to organize & use our unity to compel one list.

It is a real credit to our profession and the professionals that operate these jets that management can get away with statements like "we consider safety a given." We have to do a good job to preserve our own hides and airlines literally bank on our professionalism and sense of self preservation. But, as Midnight Flyer points out pushing things this hard is running very close to the edge.

Sad. Isn't it, though?!?h

Lowtime??? this guy used to fly the 737 overseas. Several thousand hours under his belt. Rellocated for personal reasons.

Why don't you do some research before you bash...idiot.

Yes I do fly the -700 and I guess we take energy management a little more serious at my company. We do 290 to .74. I don't feel one should get this airplane into a situation where you need to level for speed...especially when you're in the high 30's. That's just my conservative opinion. I guess I didn't explain myself enough, but it was the fact that I saw his airspeed at like .67 to .70 in the 30s. I mean seriously, that is way slow with this wing. You guys ever look at any of the turbulence charts showing minimum mach for a given altitude? Oh well. Next time I'll just keep my mouth shut like I did this time and wait for the shaker to do the talking.

Last edited:
Lowtime??? this guy used to fly the 737 overseas. Several thousand hours under his belt. Rellocated for personal reasons.
Why don't you do some research before you bash...idiot.

What guy overseas and who's 737 are you talking about?

All I did was make a statement about regional airlines hiring no-time spikey haired wonderpilots who don't have the minimum hour requirements to upgrade. Has nothing to do with this 737 pilot you're talking about.

Looks like you got your panties in a wad because you happen to fall into that group, Mr. Wonderpilot. :laugh:
Don't worry Lebowski, they'll let you upgrade on that barbie jet once you're qualified. In the meantime, why not get your ipod out of your backpack and listen to some Justin Timberlake or something.

Yes I do fly the -700 and I guess we take energy management a little more serious at my company. We do 290 to .74. I don't feel one should get this airplane into a situation where you need to level for speed...especially when you're in the high 30's. That's just my conservative opinion. I guess I didn't explain myself enough, but it was the fact that I saw his airspeed at like .67 to .70 in the 30s. I mean seriously, that is way slow with this wing. You guys ever look at any of the turbulence charts showing minimum mach for a given altitude? Oh well. Next time I'll just keep my mouth shut like I did this time and wait for the shaker to do the talking.
It does just fine flying 250 to .74 That transition happens at about FL350.

Sounds to me like you don't have a clue what you are talking about. I was flying at .30 the other day, so what, I was also indicating 250KIAS. His mach number is not necessarily an indication of the "energy" state of the wing. In fact Bombardier even recommends this climb profile in their Aeroeconomics course, have you taken it? No?.. I used to teach it. Perhaps next time you should ask around and maybe you'd learn something instead of shooting your mouth off.
Now if you said he was doing .67 and indicating about 180 kts in the mid FL300's then I would be concerned. There have been several stick shaker events with guys doing stuff like that.

Sounds to me like you don't have a clue what you are talking about. I was flying at .30 the other day, so what, I was also indicating 250KIAS. His mach number is not necessarily an indication of the "energy" state of the wing. In fact Bombardier even recommends this climb profile in their Aeroeconomics course, have you taken it? No?.. I used to teach it. Perhaps next time you should ask around and maybe you'd learn something instead of shooting your mouth off.
Now if you said he was doing .67 and indicating about 180 kts in the mid FL300's then I would be concerned. There have been several stick shaker events with guys doing stuff like that.
Please re-read my second post. I stated that he was doing .67 to .70 in the FL300s. Not shooting my mouth. Just stating what I saw and my cause of concern. I agree, there have been a number of shaker events in the -700, ask Comair.

Please re-read my second post. I stated that he was doing .67 to .70 in the FL300s. Not shooting my mouth. Just stating what I saw and my cause of concern. I agree, there have been a number of shaker events in the -700, ask Comair.

I know what you said, but he was still indicating 250kts right? So what if this was mach .67? ( By the way I find it very difficult to believe that he was doing both 250 and .67 in the mid 30's so either you are exagerating about the .67 part or he was flying much slower than 250 indicated.
250 usually is equivalent to mach .67 in the upper 20's not in the mid 30's unless there is a serious ISA deviation.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back