• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest, Republic, and ALPA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Would it be all right if mainline took their scope back? If they did I think regional pilots should have solid protections.... or opportunities... but if mainline gave it away... is it fair to get it back?

That depends on the protections and a pre-nup....If it isn't acceptable...then it will be met with resistance and an internal food fight...If you protect us on OUR equipment, then a reasonable deal can be reached.....As of yet that hasn't happened.

No regional MEC is told what to do by mainline MECs. If mainline MECs are able to scope back their flying, good for them. We should all support that regardless of whether you work for a regional or mainline.

Regionals are told what to do by ALPA national....I know because I have seen it first hand. Some tell ALPA national to pound sand....and some fold a cheap lawn chair.

Why should I support mainline in taking the flying back as a regional "lifer"? Keep in mind that depending on the regional, 35-40% plan on staying....What's in it for them?

I'm not sure we are on the same side.

I'm certain we're not.

You shouldn't have to "sell" ALPA...it should sell itself. I will say, you do better than you cohorts (Rez, PCL128, and waveflyer)...

Actually, I've been quite successful at "selling" ALPA, Joey. It pretty much does sell itself.

Regionals are told what to do by ALPA national....I know because I have seen it first hand. Some tell ALPA national to pound sand....and some fold a cheap lawn chair.

ALPA International doesn't tell anyone what to do. Suggestions are made by staff, and you either take them or ignore them. I've done both. They never seem to take it too personally when I tell them "thanks for the advice, but I'm going to do this other thing instead."

Why should I support mainline in taking the flying back as a regional "lifer"? Keep in mind that depending on the regional, 35-40% plan on staying....What's in it for them?

What's in it for you is a mainline number with a radically improved quality of life and much better career expectations.

I'm certain we're not.

Actually, I've been quite successful at "selling" ALPA, Joey. It pretty much does sell itself.

ALPA International doesn't tell anyone what to do. Suggestions are made by staff, and you either take them or ignore them. I've done both. They never seem to take it too personally when I tell them "thanks for the advice, but I'm going to do this other thing instead."

What's in it for you is a mainline number with a radically improved quality of life and much better career expectations.

And a superior chance of being furloughed. No thank you. Thanks for playing Commie, now go home. Joe at least looks out for me, and for that reason I like his views. Yours? Not so much. Bye.

Trojan

I'm certain we're not.

I am sceptical of Nevets....but I know for a fact that you and I aren't on the same side. You could learn something from him. He is an ALPA cheerleader like you, minus the hypocracy and arrogance...Try it....

PCL_128 said:

Yes you have. You have convinced the Air Tran pilots that life will be much better with ALPA. Infomercials convinced thousands of people last night that they could make millions in real estate and have flatter abs....There is a sucker born every minute...but most only fall for it once.

PCL_128 said:

My quality of life couldn't get better. I get my choice of schedules. I just extended one week of vacation into 5 WEEKS! How many mainline pilots do that. Any deal that allows a mainline pilot to take that from me will be met with resistance...and not just by me!

And a superior chance of being furloughed. No thank you. Thanks for playing Commie, now go home. Joe at least looks out for me, and for that reason I like his views. Yours? Not so much. Bye.

Trojan

How does he do that? You like his views because they appeal to a sense of bravado.... but it is all talk... better yet... please explain what his views have done for you and how his views "looks out for me"

I am sceptical of Nevets....but I know for a fact that you and I aren't on the same side. You could learn something from him. He is an ALPA cheerleader like you, minus the hypocracy and arrogance...Try it....

He just hasn't learned yet that you aren't worth wasting any breath on trying to be diplomatic and respectful. It does no good with you.

Yes you have. You have convinced the Air Tran pilots that life will be much better with ALPA.

They've seen the results already, Joey. Things have improved ten fold. After five years of negotiations, we've TA'd 8 sections in just 6 months since the ALPA help arrived.

My quality of life couldn't get better.

Yeah, those six leg days with 14 hours of duty are just sublime. :rolleyes:

Any deal that allows a mainline pilot to take that from me will be met with resistance...and not just by me!

No one has to "take" anything from you, Joey. Deals can be worked out that are beneficial for both groups, if you'd just be willing to give it a shot. But as long as you're trying to steal from someone else (seniority grab), then you'll never get anywhere.

Where are the Skywest pilots' involvement in this?

New Resources for Jumpseaters
Wednesday, August 5, 2009 - The third day of the Jumpseat track at ALPA’s Air Safety Forum featured the rollout of the Association’s new “No Pilot Left Behind” jumpseat initiative, an effort designed not only to help commuters get to and from work more easily, but to strengthen Captain’s Authority over all aspects of operations. http://safetyforum.alpa.org/Portals/...-6-09_pic1.jpg
Jumpseat chairmen from ALPA, SWAPA, APA, IPA and other unions spent the day hearing an update on the Cockpit Access Security System (CASS) provided by system vendor ARINC as well as engaging in nuts-and-bolts discussions of how to prevent jumpseat fraud and deal with the thorny issues regarding cockpit access for non-pilot airline employees.
But the highlight of the Jumpseat Forum’s final day was the demonstration of the Association’s website designed specifically for jumpseaters industry-wide. Easily accessed by iPhones, Blackberries and other smart phones, Jumpseat.alpa.org, which was developed over the last six months, provides a one-stop shop for pilots seeking non-rev access.
“This is the resource that the jumpseat group has been asking for years,” said National Jumpseat Committee First Officer Rob Frank of Air Wisconsin. “Our goal was to address: ‘What does a pilot need at the gate? What does he need when he’s trying to non-rev on his own company and the flight cancels and he’s trying to get home? How do I get on Fedex? How do I get on UPS, or AirNet?’ It’s all right here.”
The public portion of the jumpseat page includes a comprehensive list of jumpseat policies and contact numbers for North American carriers large and small, from Air Canada to Xtra Airways. There’s also a jumpseat etiquette guide, an online link to the TSA complaint form, and a wide variety of links to weather pages and other non-rev websites like PassRider and FlightExplorer.com.
While the public page is available to all commercial pilots regardless of airline or union status, the site also includes a secure section where MEC jumpseat volunteers can compare notes and communicate with each other.
The “No Pilot Left Behind” initiative also features a convenient Jepp-sized pullout jumpseat guide in the September issue of Air Line Pilot magazine. Flight bag stickers with the “No Pilot Left Behind” logo have also been developed so that individual MECs can order them for distribution to their members.
Jumpseat chairmen also heard from ARINC program manager David Thatcher on the status of the CASS system. Growing from just a handful of pioneer carriers in 2002, 96 different airlines now use CASS to manage their cockpit jumpseat process, either via their own in-house IT systems or through a software-hosting arrangement with ARINC. About 4,600 CASS requests are made in any given day.
ALPA’s 2009 Air Safety Forum is being held at Washington, D.C.’s Omni Shoreham hotel. Get live updates about the Forum by following ALPA on Twitter, and check this website regularly for up-to-date coverage.

[URL="http://jumpseat.alpa.org/Portals/17/images/NoPilotLeftBehind.jpg"]http://jumpseat.alpa.org/Portals/17/...LeftBehind.jpg[/URL]

Rez, I work as an ALPA jumpseat volunteer. I don't think you really want to go there. The United side has been very unfair to everyone, especially the UEX pilots. There is a real disconnect and this doesn't address it. You are making ALPA look bad. Please stop!

Rez, I work as an ALPA jumpseat volunteer. I don't think you really want to go there. The United side has been very unfair to everyone, especially the UEX pilots. There is a real disconnect and this doesn't address it. You are making ALPA look bad. Please stop!

I am not talking about the UAL/UAX issue....

This is a new benefit for jumpseating.... Will Skywest pilots want the benefits? They do have a jumpseat committee and perhaps they were part of the process that brought this about.....

Latest resources

Back