Skywest Q's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ranger17

I am thinking of making a lateral move to skywest and have a few questions about the company. I was looking to find some answers from some people on the line instead of from recruiting. I have been told that upgrade time is 6 mo. or so on the brasillia and 1.5 yrs on the RJ, is this true and do you think that it will hold true for someone hired in the next few months. Also I would like to be based in DEN, is it hard to hold as a newhire and how long is reserve there. If I would happen to make upgrade to the brasillia in a short time how senior is DEN for CA/ how about for CA in the RJ. Last how do you all like it there, I come from an ALPA carrier and am alittle apprehensive about it being Me vs. The company. Do you have any protection there or if the company is pressuring you into something thats against the contract are you just SOL. Before I get flamed about SJS and all the like I have been at my current employer for almost 3yrs with no upgrade in sight. I am very leary of chasing an upgrade, but I am also worried that I am on a sinking ship here. Thanks for any advice and info.

The company. Do you have any protection there or if the company is pressuring you into something thats against the contract are you just SOL. .

No union, no contract.

Get your ATP and go to NetJets. Much better than any regional and might be better than some majors. If you can manage to live in LAX you could be put into a class quickly. A regional is a regional.

most junior brasillia captain was hired 3/06 and has been done with training for a couple months, currently about 90 on the list for upgrade. Class that was hired in August got denver for january in the emb. They will probably be on reserve for a couple months. Denver should be easy to get as a new-hire on the jet after a month or so. Probably at least 2-3 years to hold captain in DEN as of right now.

DEN CRJ FO is pretty junior, should be able to get it by the time you're done with IOE. I think EMB CA will stay at less than a year for quite a while. Lots of people are getting hired at low time and will take more than a year to meet upgrade mins. DEN EMB CA is pretty senior as far as EMB bases go. It looks like about 2 years for that. There isn't much in the way of reserve right now, at least where I'm based. In COS we've only had reserves 1 month in the past 6. This month there were 60 trips in open time and only 38 FO's based here.
I've never been in a union so I can't tell you the differences. I've never felt pressured by management to do something I didn't want to. I've never met my chief pilot and the only time I talk to him is when I'm taking Military leave and they're really cool about that. I'm sure there are some people that have had bad experiences with management but MOST people do just fine without a union

Skywest is a great place, who cares if you have SJS.

Mookie

Last edited:
What are the current upgrade times for SKW 2500? In addition how about the EMB our of SLC for a FO? Would that be likely? If my understanding is correct SKW is still putting those without any 121 experience in the EMB while those who have 121 typically get the RJ? If correct how long would it take to go from the EMB to the RJ in a base such as ORD for a new hire (based in DEN for training then wanting to move to ORD as soon as possible)? In addition what is the word for MKE as a new base, has there been a lot of interest generated from the current base of pilots wanting to fly out of there or no?

What are the current upgrade times for SKW 2500?
2500tt with 1000 crew turbine. If you got hired at mins, it would be at least 1 1/2 to 2 year upgrade.

In addition how about the EMB our of SLC for a FO? Would that be likely?
Not sure what you're asking, but upgrade mins are the same. I think Brasillia FO in SLC is pretty easy to get right away.
If my understanding is correct SKW is still putting those without any 121 experience in the EMB while those who have 121 typically get the RJ?
Pretty much. There are a few CFIs that get the jet right away, but not many. Others have been corporate, cargo or military.
If correct how long would it take to go from the EMB to the RJ in a base such as ORD for a new hire (based in DEN for training then wanting to move to ORD as soon as possible)?
There is a 1 yr seatlock, but those have been lifted on occaision. I was in class with 3 guys that had it lifted
In addition what is the word for MKE as a new base, has there been a lot of interest generated from the current base of pilots wanting to fly out of there or no?
Not a lot. I think only 20 or so people bid MKE as a specific choice. There were a total of 35 or so on the list including those that bid "any." I think most of the interest in MKE is from senior FOs in ORD and DEN who want to shave a few months off their upgrade. Others are sort of watching from the sidelines to see how the schedules are.

What are the current upgrade times for SKW 2500? In addition how about the EMB our of SLC for a FO? Would that be likely? If my understanding is correct SKW is still putting those without any 121 experience in the EMB while those who have 121 typically get the RJ? If correct how long would it take to go from the EMB to the RJ in a base such as ORD for a new hire (based in DEN for training then wanting to move to ORD as soon as possible)? In addition what is the word for MKE as a new base, has there been a lot of interest generated from the current base of pilots wanting to fly out of there or no?

Upgrade: 2500 TT and 1000 crew/turbine.

EMB FO anywhere is very likely due to growth. If you don't get what you want right away, you should get it in a month or two.

If you have 121, significant 135 or turbine time, you will probably go to the jet, otherwise EMB.

An EMB FO is seat-locked for one year before being allowed to transition to CRJ FO. With current growth, after one year you would have enough seniority to hold jet FO anywhere.

I'm guessing that MKE will go pretty junior. ORD is probabaly easier to commute to, and the SKW pilots in the Midwest system might very well lose their DAL and UAL travel benefits!

Latest resources

Back