SKYWEST Pilots: SAY NO TO ALPA!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Rez,

I have some questions for you, no flame intended, but really want to know.

1-do you feel that, to be considered 'ok' according to your terms, every airline pilot MUST be part of a union, support the union mentality, etc? if not, what would be acceptable, in your view, for not? is this just for airlines, or all labor?

Last edited:
so I heard through the grape vine that some skywest pilots were having a bonfire party. Basically the ones that don't want the union were taking the authorization cards and burning them just in case anyone tries to fradulently put peoples name on it that don't want a union. Any truth to this? It sounds like a fun party.

What you anti-union types can't afford a paper shredder? Maybe you are just to cheap to afford the electricity? Probably a holdover from your days with the KLAN!

What you anti-union types can't afford a paper shredder? Maybe you are just to cheap to afford the electricity? Probably a holdover from your days with the KLAN!

lol ok I admit my post was over the top and mostly a joke. To accuse me of being in the Klan though?? wow...... that is all I have to say about that. I still won't sign the card though. This is exactly a big part of what turns me off to ALPA. Every time there is a union drive it always turns into mud slinging. The union drive in 2004 turned into a big time mud slinging fest toward the end and it went down in flames. Maybe if you guys would use some tact instead of resorting to name calling you would get somewhere. So far I admit the OC has done a fairly good job of keeping things mostly civil. Only time will tell how things go toward the end. I still won't sign my card either way though.

I am not going to sign anything just because someone tells me I have to. If they hold an election and ALPA wins then I would respect that. If they hold an election and ALPA doesn't win then I will respect that too. What we don't need is someone else telling us what we do or do not need.

If ALPA has an election and loses I'll respect that and the SW pilots.

As far as telling anyone what to do... I wouldn't call it that.. I'd call it politics and pursaution... If it is done in poor taste then shame on ALPA....

Rez,

I have some questions for you, no flame intended, but really want to know.

1-do you feel that, to be considered 'ok' according to your terms, every airline pilot MUST be part of a union, support the union mentality, etc? if not, what would be acceptable, in your view, for not? is this just for airlines, or all labor?

I feel that in order to be effective Air Line Pilots need to be represented. I would like to see all pilots under one union, not just nationally but internationally. It doesn't have to be ALPA. Nothing last forever and if ALPA dissolves and becomes something else, so be it.

Unions are organziations made up of people. And where there are people there are mistakes. If I look at my own family I can be embarrassed by my own and other members of my family...

But life goes on and I don't reject family because they are human.

There is alot of misinformation about unions and ALPA. I am all about education and free will. Sure I'm going to try to convince the SW pilots.. but they get to decide....

I've just reviewed the globalization symposium on the ALPA website from the 2006 BOD. The repsect that ALPA has internationally is good enough for me.

The respect that ALPA has nationally from the NTSB to the FAA and other players in the Air Line Industry is good enough for me...

For some reason national and international organizations understand what ALPA is and is trying to do.... To get pilots to understand the same is very difficult at times....

Regards...

I feel that in order to be effective Air Line Pilots need to be represented.

what does it mean to you to be 'effective?'

if you are 'effective' as a pilot group, does it matter what kind of representation you use to achieve that, be it ALPA, SAPA, Teamsters, the Tuesday Night Bridge Club, or the International Brotherhood of Prop Comics?

thanks, I appreciate your well thought out responses. they are anithesis to most union types on here, however.

what does it mean to you to be 'effective?'

if you are 'effective' as a pilot group, does it matter what kind of representation you use to achieve that, be it ALPA, SAPA, Teamsters, the Tuesday Night Bridge Club, or the International Brotherhood of Prop Comics?

thanks, I appreciate your well thought out responses. they are anithesis to most union types on here, however.

Effective means to succed in completing ones own agenda. No it doesn't matter what type of repsrenstation...

One of the "deals" with unions is they are volunteer organizations... So you get alot of guys trying out thier egos.... This isn't a union issue but an social issue...

Last edited:
Sorry, I thought you said NUTS (my antecedant incorrect, but statement correct). But regardless, the SWA Airlines Way by Gitner has at its core relational coordination and the idea of knowledge sharing as a basis--again, not really a manifesto of labor relations.

Sorry, I thought you said NUTS (my antecedant incorrect, but statement correct). But regardless, the SWA Airlines Way by Gitner has at its core relational coordination and the idea of knowledge sharing as a basis--again, not really a manifesto of labor relations.

What is labor relations? It is a tactful way of saying "We have to deal with unions on our property"

Relational coordination? Agreed! But how does that begin? With the individuals who are charged with the operation of the company. In other words, the corporate leadership has made a active and positive choice to work with unions. To create a positive relationship. They have decided to work together and not fight....

Effective means to succed in completing ones own agenda. No it doesn't matter what type of repsrenstation...

My agenda is to work for a company that:

-pays me at or above my counterparts at other companies while remaining competitive and viable for the long haul

-seeks to employ good people who will contribute to a positive work environment

-provides me with opportunities to advance

-has work locations where I want to live and raise my family

-runs a safe, quality operation that is innovative, dynamic and able to adjust to an ever changing marketplace

so, for me, and lots of folks here at SkyWest, our current structure is providing us with what we want, or our agenda. I'll agreee with you, that the particular type of representation is not important. It is the results that matter.

Latest resources

Back