• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest pilot tool rides a belt loader

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Helping with the bags isn't a bad thing. Riding the belt without the safety bars up is inexcusable. Even his own company would shame him for that. But let's not bash the guy that does what it takes to get the job done. That's the wrong message to send.

Nobody here has any idea what was going on with that flight. While I've never climbed onto belt loader like a ****ing spider monkey, I've tossed bags in the pouring rain to help passengers make their connections and fellow jumpseating PILOTS make their report time.

I don't give a damn about the company or "moving up" and I especially don't give a damn about the little bitch next door with his cell phone camera. If there's an opportunity for me to help a passenger get to a birth, wedding, or funeral on time, I'm going to take it regardless of how bad flightinfo wants to "stick it to the man".

Well said.

I disagree. I would love to help someone get to a birth, wedding, etc on time by tossing bags, but the fact remains if I blow my back tossing bags the company will not support my effort with an OJI approval.

There are plenty of other ways to help our passengers
reach their final destinations that are within the scope of our job description.

Each pilot has to decide for themselves whether or not the risk is worth it when doing these extracurricular activities. However I'm not going to clown any pilot who takes the risk.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

I disagree. I would love to help someone get to a birth, wedding, etc on time by tossing bags, but the fact remains if I blow my back tossing bags the company will not support my effort with an OJI approval.

There are plenty of other ways to help our passengers
reach their final destinations that are within the scope of our job description.

Each pilot has to decide for themselves whether or not the risk is worth it when doing these extracurricular activities. However I'm not going to clown any pilot who takes the risk.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Exactly.....back when I was on the Beech At Air Midwest a Capt screwed up his back to the point where he could no longer work unloading bags.....he had to get a lawyer and go after Mesa....he won and got some $ ...but it took ages ...and was a fraction of his estimated future earnings.....Mesas big argument....it wasn't in his job description...

Wrong. If you go outside of your job description and get injured doing it, the company's OJI insurer will deny the claim, and you get bupkis. This has happened to many pilots.

That is an issue with an insurance company or the company itself. Already had a guy say that he had a legitimate claim that was denied... if that's true (not saying it isn't) then why go to work? Either way, you are going to get hosed.

When I went to work at OO, I was covered from check in to check out. I threw my back out at the hotel once... I was covered.

If you NEVER do anything outside of your job description, then I presume that you never help clean the cabin? Cross seatbelts? Take out the trash? Help a disabled passenger up the jetway? Better not, because as you said, you won't be covered!

The idiocy of riding the belt is obvious. Not disputing that. This thread was about a guy throwing bags to help get the job done for the most part, and people making fun of doing it.

If you are at a regional, or anywhere for that matter, and ONLY do what is in your job description... you better either lie about that in your next interview, or better hope that you never have to look for another job.

I'm done here, y'all can get back to pointing your finger and acting like school kids.

If you say so.... When union rampers from all walks of life for various airlines, from pax being able to make their quick connections, saying thanks, I will do what I do to help out EVERYTIME over saying "it's not my job". Funny how I keep getting thanks from IAH rampers for helping out and even reporting delays on the ramp when they are short staffed. Go figure.

I can live with myself helping out and many of here at Skywest would do the same (maybe not ride a belt loader up to the jetway). My helping doesn't hurt my paycheck in anyway. If we are delayed by ramp staffing, we put it, and maybe that will help one day.

When did the EMB120 start flying out of IAH ??

I go out of my way to help the company as much as the company goes out of their way to help me.

Whether they go out of their way to help me as much as I help them is the unknown part...

When I went to work at OO, I was covered from check in to check out. I threw my back out at the hotel once... I was covered.

Being at the hotel in the normal course of your job is covered. Going skiing on the overnight and breaking your leg in the process is not. This ain't that difficult to figure out.

If you NEVER do anything outside of your job description, then I presume that you never help clean the cabin?

No, I'm not an aircraft cleaner. The airline pays people to do that.

Cross seatbelts?

No, I'm not a flight attendant.

Take out the trash?

My own trash from the cockpit? Certainly. I set it in the galley for the aircraft cleaners to get it. Again, the airline pays them to do that.

Help a disabled passenger up the jetway?

Absolutely not! That's a major lawsuit waiting to happen.

If the ramper rode that beltloader up like that and fell the company could not pay the claim either. But other than that I see zero problems with him volunteering to help the bag guys!!! He's prolly bored and wanting to do something different than sit on the airplane and flirt with the gay FA like most of u on here do!!! Get a life people!!!

And who cares about what the "company guys" or the union guys think. Next time that captain is trying to do a quick turn during a long day and going into days off, those bag guys will remember and bust their butts to get him out on time!!! I know, I've been like these baggage handlers in this video

Latest resources

Back