• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest Pilot "Creed"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Oh i agree completely. Maybe the "creed" overshadowed the idea of what the class was suppose to mean and trying to achieve. Was it worth flying cross country to attend the class to just get half the pay, no way. Still did take away a few positive discussions from the class. If others didnt so be it.

The first few minutes of the class were okay.

The part where they talked about how you don't need money to be happy was infuriating.

well if you are mormon you DONT need money to be happy. You just need multiple wives and about 24 kids. how you pay for that with no money is beyond me.

Not that I'm saying money = happiness, because it doesn't (though I'd argue that is creates more opportunitys to find happiness)

I took all the spiritual theoretic talk as a huge kool-aid pitch to justify low wages, and how we should be equally professional and happy with sub-par pay.

well if you are mormon you DONT need money to be happy. You just need multiple wives and about 24 kids. how you pay for that with no money is beyond me.

I don't know how they do it either. They all have 4 + kids, drive new cars and live in nice houses. I think that "church" which is really a multi-billion dollar business gives each "member" some kind of cut or something. I have no kids live below my means, drive a 10 year old car and live in an apartment.

And there are "ADULTS" that didnt seem to act like adults and even professionals. Think one event I heard about (NOT TALKED ABOUT IN THE CLASS) where a crew on a repo flight decided it would be a great idea to "float" a FA, not once BUT TRIED IT TWICE before they got it right... Oh and the ADG deployed, and the CA tried to cover it up..

If it takes a stupid creed and a leadership class that, to be honest, is not perfect to maybe get a minority of our pilot group to WAKE UP and take there job seriously then so be it. If you learn something from the class great, if not you got paid for half of your time and got a free lunch. Plus even at the beginning of the class you were told you could walk out at anytime with out punishment from mgmt, but would lose out on the pay. Besides this leadership was endorsed by mgmt but was created by a group of skywest pilots.

Having a class is ok I guess if the pilot group needs it. But I'm talking about an actual creed! Or is this thing a joke after all???

The part where they talked about how you don't need money to be happy was infuriating.

I wonder why JA, BR, CC, and BH get compensated so much then if they don't need it to be happy? Or what about the quaterly dividends to the stockholders, they don't need it to be happy either!

Last edited:
Having a class is ok I guess if the pilot group needs it. But I'm talking about an actual creed! Or is this thing a joke after all???

No Joke. But it's a little too over-the-top to be taken seriously by most of us. Like I said before it was a well intentioned idea that got carried. It was pilots, not managers who came up with it.

I wonder why JA, BR, CC, and BH get compensated so much then if they don't need it to be happy? Or what about the quaterly dividends to the stockholders, they don't need it to be happy either!

It's called capitalism. If you don't like it, you have to push back somehow either through the political process or a union. Communism won't help, that's been tried and all it does is redirect the money to another set of elites and take away all options to pushback.

Is it just me, or are there any other SkyWest new hires that were hired in the past year and have no idea what this creed business is all about? Maybe I was asleep or something, but I don't know anything about it. I sure as hell wasn't told to recite it... That would've creeped me out big time. Probably enough to jump on the first flight out of SLC.

For such a big company, I'm impressed with how much SkyWest leaves me alone and just lets me do my job. That isn't always the case when working for a large company... In my previous career, I worked for a very large corporation and was forced to sit though weekly cheesy presentations on how great the company was. It sucked, and I absolutely hated it. The only good thing about it was that it got me away from my desk for an hour, and usually I got a free cookie.

No Joke. But it's a little too over-the-top to be taken seriously by most of us. Like I said before it was a well intentioned idea that got carried. It was pilots, not managers who came up with it.

It's called capitalism. If you don't like it, you have to push back somehow either through the political process or a union. Communism won't help, that's been tried and all it does is redirect the money to another set of elites and take away all options to pushback.

So a few line pilots came up with this and just unilaterally decided to insert this into indoc and show up one day and present it? Somehow I doubt that. And the fact this was a pilots idea is even more embarrassing that it came from one of our own rather than some management guy who hasnt flown the line since his Metroliner days.

As for communism, I didn't say anything about communism, although a union is a form of a commune. Anyways, what I said was more of a rebuttal at the notion that management tells it's pilots they don't need money to be happy. It's hypocritical because they are not practicing what they preach, hence the reference to the CEO, CFO, and two presidents.

Latest resources

Back