• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest or XpressJet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
From what I know and it is alot. There are guys coming over to SKW from Xpress Jet, Don't know of 1 soul that has gone from SKW to Epress Jet though.
Just an observation???

Definately SkyWest. Express Jet will have to be lucky to avoid the fate of ACA / Independence.

Continental has dumped their XJet stock if that tells you anything about the future relationship with their mainline partner.

XJet has a good operation and pilots, ALPA just dared to negotiate a good contract and without scope - poof - there goes another one.

Definately SkyWest. Express Jet will have to be lucky to avoid the fate of ACA / Independence.

Continental has dumped their XJet stock if that tells you anything about the future relationship with their mainline partner.

XJet has a good operation and pilots, ALPA just dared to negotiate a good contract and without scope - poof - there goes another one.

I'm a little confused... The CPA between XJT and CAL is what allowed them to remove aircraft. Not the lack of a scope cause in the pilots CBA.

Yes I am biased. That said, I have friends at SKW who love it. I love the fact that I belong to ALPA and have an industry leading contract for pay, work rules & vacation. I love our 401K 5% company match. I love the fact the we are diversifying from CAL and trying to break out of this regional whip-saw cycle. Will it work? I don't know. Most of us believe in our management team. Ask me (or any of us) if it is working in December, because by then we'll have been at it 8 months. If it works as planned, that's when we've been told we'll see an aircraft order. I'm at 2 years here and am upgrading in April. I'm going to our new ONT base to try the branded flying.

If you want a more for sure thing, go to SKW. If you feel like rolling the dice, you may just get real lucky. I couldn't ask for a better group of people to work with. One more thing, if our branded thing takes off, I'm staying here for good. Good luck.

Both excellent companies. In the end I would choose the one that keeps you closest to where you want to live. Period. Otherwise they are very equal. Class operations both. PS. I work XJT if that makes a difference.

Where do you live?

Good question. You said you don't want to hear about bases, but that is maybe the most important factor in choosing between the 2 companies. I work at Skywest, love it, and will be okay here for 4 years or so, and then hopefully move up. I also know a lot of folks at XJT. They say the same about their company. I think Fins is overreacting a little bit in comparing XJT to ACA. Their management seems commited to making money AND doing right by the employees, and their implementation of branded flying is very different from what Indy did. Best of luck.

I'm at XJET and I love this company... Our Management-Pilot relationship is excellent, and our Management team is one of the best in the industry IMO. I really believe in our branded flying. This is not something our company just jumped into. Management has been studying this market for 3 years and knows the risks it entails. We are taking a risk, but it's a risk we can afford to take. We still have 75% of our income coming in from CAL flying (70million a year). We could take a hit on the branded flying but still make a profit. We're making good money with our new charter operation, and making money off CAL (100million in '06) and still take a large chunk of money to the bank. It's a risk we can afford to take. Don't forget all the simulator training we do, maintenance, and paint shops. ExpressJet is becoming very diverse.

I honestly would go to the airline that would make for the easiest commute, or better yet no commute! I'm not one of the glass half empty FI guys. I love going to work, and think we have the best pilot group in the industry. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else at the regional level! Best of luck in your decision, both airlines are class acts.

Regards,
TA

Last edited:
Texan - here are the numbers reported via both companies shareholder's reports. XJET's 06 revenues were 1.68Bn and they have a better profit margin. SkyWest's numbers were effected by coming off the 100% growth they experienced in the last year with the purchase of ASA. They have not eeked out nearly as good an overall profit margin on their profitable operations which raises the question, WHY? My guess is that the redundant management teams in ATL and SLc, as well as the training and maintenance expenses incurred by playing the whipsaw game are negatively effecting the bottom line. This actually supports XJET as the better company. That was not the result I expected from a casual look at the numbers. (I'm waiting on the DCI flying announcement to sell my SkyWest shares - hoping for a bump to $28, or $29 a share)

SKYW:
Profitability Profit Margin (ttm):4.68%Operating Margin (ttm):10.89%Management EffectivenessReturn on Assets (ttm):N/A Return on Equity (ttm):14.16%Income StatementRevenue (ttm):3.11BRevenue Per Share (ttm):49.855Qtrly Revenue Growth (yoy):6.40%Gross Profit (ttm):426.34MEBITDA (ttm):526.05MNet Income Avl to Common (ttm):145.81MDiluted EPS (ttm):2.30Qtrly Earnings Growth (yoy):-19.20%Balance SheetTotal Cash (mrq):572.91MTotal Cash Per Share (mrq):8.961Total Debt (mrq):1.76BTotal Debt/Equity (mrq):1.534Current Ratio (mrq):N/ABook Value Per Share (mrq):17.934
XJET:
Profitability Profit Margin (ttm):5.51%Operating Margin (ttm):8.40%Management EffectivenessReturn on Assets (ttm):N/A Return on Equity (ttm):37.87%Income StatementRevenue (ttm):1.68BRevenue Per Share (ttm):31.183Qtrly Revenue Growth (yoy):N/A Gross Profit (ttm):284.52MEBITDA (ttm):164.81MNet Income Avl to Common (ttm):92.57M

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back