• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest or XpressJet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What type of charter flying are you doing? Are you flying college basketball teams, or 2 rich people from ONT to TEB.

I thought there plan was to do a point to point airline, is that plan falling apart before it gets started?

I have to say, I took a look at the charter lines and those guys do a lot more flying than I thought they would coming right out of the box. The charter business seems to be doing very well. The flying pays very well and is of course very senior.

The branded flying is something totally different.

The xjt charter pilots get a 90 hr gurantee as well as an $18/hr override (for all of guarantee, not just hours flown). All the capt's in the charter group have 10 or more yrs seniority which would make their pay rate $96/hr or better, and all FO's have 3 or more yrs seniority which would make their pay rate $54/hr or better. All charter pilots are guaranteed 14 days off per month and home basing starts in April allowing you to live in whatever city you choose and not have to worry about a commute. I don't know any pilots or fa's doing charter that don't like it. The company is treating them very well despite the difficulties of this type of operation.

I worked at XJT and left to go to Skywest but for me it was a decision based on domocile choices. I don't commute with skyw. If you are planning on moving to your base then either airline would be a good decision for you in my opinion. XJT is a great place to work, although there are opening themselves up to some risk with the branded flying but I wouldn't make that a factor, every regional airline has the risk of losing their flying. You can't plan for that, just know that no matter where you go the place might close it's doors at any minute and the stop worrying about it.

The xjt charter pilots get a 90 hr gurantee as well as an $18/hr override (for all of guarantee, not just hours flown). All the capt's in the charter group have 10 or more yrs seniority which would make their pay rate $96/hr or better, and all FO's have 3 or more yrs seniority which would make their pay rate $54/hr or better. All charter pilots are guaranteed 14 days off per month and home basing starts in April allowing you to live in whatever city you choose and not have to worry about a commute. I don't know any pilots or fa's doing charter that don't like it. The company is treating them very well despite the difficulties of this type of operation.

Sounds like the company is well diversified. I did some basketball charters in the CRJ. I thought it was a fun change, but the more senior pilots thought it was too much work.

Latest resources

Back