SkyWest or XpressJet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mono del dia

I am in the fortunate position to have been offered a class date with both of the above companies.

Just wondereing if some people that work at either could offer thier opinions on which is the better place to work.

By this I am not talking so much about pay and basing options, but more the working environment, what the people are like and relationship with management etc. Particularly interested in how long you stay on reserve, upgrade times and generally how enjoyable it is to work in either place

Any info good or bad is welcome

Thanks,

MDD.

The people at Skywest are great and you are not on reserve for very long at all. A new CRJ base is opening at MKE.

If it were me I would choose Skywest, seems like their is a lot more growth, and XJT's future is a bit uncertain with them branding themselves out. Both decent companies from what I have heard.

Just some of my own personal observations you may find interesting:
1. The pilot group at ExpressJet is more unified than the SkyWest pilot group.
2. Coporate culture is quite different. Not necessarily bad or good, but rather different.
3. If I had to guess I'd say the average age of pilots is a lot younger at ExpressJet than SkyWest, but that's just from my personal observation, not a hard fact.
4. If you asked some industry experts, they'd probably say that the management team at SkyWest is better. But, when I've listened to Jim Ream (ExpressJet) and his team I've been very impressed.

Is this post a joke or did you not know that skywest flies mainline planes (ie crj900) for pennies. Maybe Mesa or Skywest would be a better post next time. And no I don't fly for any of these carriers

With your times you'd probably upgrade at SkyWest in just over a year in the EMB with a west coast base.

Reserve as a EMB FO could be just a couple of months. Jet Fo can be longer depending on the domicile.

Is this post a joke or did you not know that skywest flies mainline planes (ie crj900) for pennies. Maybe Mesa or Skywest would be a better post next time. And no I don't fly for any of these carriers

So just what airline do you fly the CL-65 at? PSA and for a whole 6-8 months. By the way Skywest 50 seat rates are nearly identical to your 70 rates and easily better your 50 rates -- and thats on the captain side. They're better on the FO side by $3-5 an hour except for the first year. Enjoy that 2nd year captain rate also -- oh wait junior captain has 5 years seniority! Ha

Last edited:
The people at Skywest are great and you are not on reserve for very long at all.
March bid shows 124 FOs assigned ORD and 124 targeted line holders. So much for reserve!

March bid shows 124 FOs assigned ORD and 124 targeted line holders. So much for reserve!
I was going to say that from what I have heard there was no reserve at ORD, which is a very junior base for them.

Latest resources

Back