Skywest or ExpressJet?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Spinplate

Ok, between the two, pay is almost the same (little higher 1st year pay at Xjet). What would be the main differences between the two airlines? I heard Xjet pays only per diem during training? Are both airlines double occ. on the hotels while in training? And what are the junior bases right now for both? Thank you again to all who help me out!! -Spin

Last edited:
Man, tough call. I've really liked it here at Skywest, but I have a friend who's been at Expressjet for a while and he's enjoyed his time there. I would go with bases. At Skywest, our junior bases are ORD and MKE in the RJ. Although after a few months to a year, you could probably hold whatever base you want. Upgrades are running about a 1.5 years on the RJ and 9 months on the Brasilia (if you've got the time, of course). I'm pretty sure the junior domicile for Expressjet right now is ONT. If the branded flying works out in California, it would be cool to be in on the "ground floor" of that operation.

Skywest is 65 hours of pay at the new hire rate of 19 bucks/hour. Pretty bad, but at least it's something. Changes to 75 hours once you're done with training and on reserve. Double occupancy on the hotel room, but I wouldn't let that sway you one way or the other. Yes, it sucks, but it's the first two months of what might be a long career at Skywest. The first year pay is much more important, in my opinion. Hope this helps and good luck with your decision.

Right now you go on a 60 hour/month rate at SkyWest when in training. Yes you have a roomate for the entire duration of training except for IOE. Junior bases for us are SLC, MKE, ORD, COS, sort of in that order. I'm in ORD and new hires are going straight to lines, no reserve. I've been out of IOE for 4-5 months or something like that, its all a blur, but for May as a junior FO i've got a 92 hour line with 13 days off. I like it here. Dont know much about XJET other than they are really good also and you'd be happy at either i'm sure. Boils down to whose bases you like better.

Thx SKYW Pilot! I have over 2kTT with about 500 of that being CRJ time. Is TUS pretty senior? Im in PHX

Man, tough call. I've really liked it here at Skywest, but I have a friend who's been at Expressjet for a while and he's enjoyed his time there. I would go with bases. At Skywest, our junior bases are ORD and MKE in the RJ. Although after a few months to a year, you could probably hold whatever base you want. Upgrades are running about a 1.5 years on the RJ and 9 months on the Brasilia (if you've got the time, of course). I'm pretty sure the junior domicile for Expressjet right now is ONT. If the branded flying works out in California, it would be cool to be in on the "ground floor" of that operation.

Skywest is 65 hours of pay at the new hire rate of 19 bucks/hour. Pretty bad, but at least it's something. Changes to 75 hours once you're done with training and on reserve. Double occupancy on the hotel room, but I wouldn't let that sway you one way or the other. Yes, it sucks, but it's the first two months of what might be a long career at Skywest. The first year pay is much more important, in my opinion. Hope this helps and good luck with your decision.

He hit it on the head. Both are good companies to work for. XJT has been great for me and i still enjoy it. Our Contract is really good for this sector as well as pay. f the branded flying works and continues to well, anything is possible for us here. New flying starting up for DAL out of LAX also which could grow, who knows. As far as bases, It depends on your age and where you fall in the class. Newhires have been getting pretty much what they want recently but i am hearing alot are going out west. You should be able to get whatever base you want quickly here. Upgrade is 2 years right now here, supposedly is going down. I would go with where you want to live and enjoy whichever you choose. Good Luck.

Very good answers! Both sound great, why not interview with both and see what happens..... Skywest will be here in PHX in May. I would like to stay out west for my commute (married, no kids) Keep em coming if you have info to add. Thanks!
Oh! Is it true about Xjet training? per diem only?

The most junior F.O. in TUS has a hire date of 1/22/07.

Also, the new hire guarantee is 65 hours... not 60. Just looked it up in the CPM. Check SP308 item 7.

decide where you want to live, and where you can say 'if I'm stuck at XYZ Airlines forever, that's ok with me.' I don't think you'd go wrong with either, but based on where you live I'd lean towards SkyWest. that's just me.

Ya and the commute between PHX and SLC or DEN would probably be pretty easy as commutes go. Plenty of flights and jumpseats going both directions.

is your app in at both companies yet? You do get perdiem while in training. If i remember right it was like 1700 bucks for the 6 weeks of training. One of the deals with XJT app process is they want to see you currently employeed flying airplanes. Are you flying somewhere now? Good luck.

Latest resources

Back