• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest or ExpressJet?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pay is higher at XJT on an hourly basis. 5 year capt pay is going up to $70/hr in a few months (currently at $68). Up to 10% company match on 401k, profit sharing (3% raise if company does away with it). Pay during training is 75/hrs plus 1.60 hr. Hotel is provided with free warm break fast( at least it used to be at the Holliday Inn) and 11-12 min days off.

Here are other things to consider:
At XJT you have a Contract and not a CPM.
At XJT you will have lines and not a PBS.
No chance of flying a prop for less pay at XJT.

Not quite right. Company matching on the 401K is 4-6 %, depending on longevity. Also, pay during training is a flat check of around $1,500 dollars. It's based on per diem, which means it's tax free (which is good). You don't start making your 75 hour min guarantee until you complete your PC.

And from what I hear, the HI no longer gives a free breakfast.

Otherwise, the rest is true. As a 50-seat captain, I make more than their CRJ700/900 captain. Their 50-seat FO rate is higher than ours, though, but only slightly, I think.

XJet is double occupancy on the hotel from what Ive heard....same as Skywest. Do they put 2 guys in a single room or a larger one with 2 rooms? What if the guy is a flamer?

XJet is double occupancy on the hotel from what Ive heard....same as Skywest. Do they put 2 guys in a single room or a larger one with 2 rooms? What if the guy is a flamer?

Double Occupancy in one big room. I am sure if there is an issue with your roomate you could request a new roommate but be prepared to explane your reasons.

When are you leaving? Not soon enough, turdeater!
PBR

I myself am not leaving! I knew the terms, wages, etc of the job when I took the job. I am happy here. Attrition is high, I am moving up fast. To me this hopefully means more and more of the senior grouches are leaving. Nothing is worse than flying a trip with someone who does nothing but complain about work/life. In my mind the more above me that leave the better.

Attrition is the most efficent way to move up right now. Growth isn't going to be explosive as it was in the past. We need to keep things at just the right balance so the complainers leave and the happy people stay. It is also good to have complainers leave because that is one less vote for ALPA. Sweet deal I would have to say. They can make things even better some day just make sure I have moved up enough before that happens. Nothing is worse as a pilot than no seniority movement.

I myself am not leaving! I knew the terms, wages, etc of the job when I took the job. I am happy here. Attrition is high, I am moving up fast. To me this hopefully means more and more of the senior grouches are leaving. Nothing is worse than flying a trip with someone who does nothing but complain about work/life. In my mind the more above me that leave the better.

Attrition is the most efficent way to move up right now. Growth isn't going to be explosive as it was in the past. We need to keep things at just the right balance so the complainers leave and the happy people stay. It is also good to have complainers leave because that is one less vote for ALPA. Sweet deal I would have to say. They can make things even better some day just make sure I have moved up enough before that happens. Nothing is worse as a pilot than no seniority movement.

one less vote for alpa huh, until something happens to you and you need them...wouldn't that be a bitch?

Last edited:
As a 50-seat captain, I make more than their CRJ700/900 captain.

just out of curiosity, how many years have you been there? what did you make last year? do you work extra? what is your average month for block, credit, days off?

thanks

just out of curiosity, how many years have you been there? what did you make last year? do you work extra? what is your average month for block, credit, days off?

thanks

My comment was based on an hourly rate comparison. Maybe I should have made that clearer.

By choice, I'm one of those people who flies as little as possible, so what I make is not going to be reflective of what I can make if I really want to. But to give you some numbers: I'm starting my 4th year and will make $65.75/hour. On 12/1/07, that goes up to $67.39/hour. A year from now, when I start 5th year pay, the rate goes to $69.43/hour.

I don't know the exact payrates for Skywest (if someone can post them, that would be great). My information was based on what's published on airlinepilotcentral.com. Because the number are rounded up and down, our 4th year rate on the 145 is listed as $66. Skywest's 700/900 rate is listed as $65.

Because of our work rules, I have the potential to make much more than what I currently take in. Your ability to get extra pay may match ours, but I doubt it surpasses it. So I would say that on an hour-to-hour, effort-to-effort basis, I make more than a Skywest 700/900 captain.

Now, if the airlinepilotcentral.com information is wrong, then I stand corrected and retract my comment.

goto the company with most attrition. Attrition is excellent for your career. The more senior dudes leaving the better. You can work at the best place in the world but it doesn't mean anything if there is no growth/attrition.

Unless it's Mesa or RAH where a huge chunk of the attrition is FO's.

I'm starting my 4th year and will make $65.75/hour. On 12/1/07, that goes up to $67.39/hour. A year from now, when I start 5th year pay, the rate goes to $69.43/hour.

thanks, that is what I was after.

I'd estimate that at your current rate, you'd make 78,900 this year at SkyWest, based on an average yearly credit total of 1200 hours (5.75 x 1200=78900). This is before Performance Rewards, Stock Purchase earnings, Restricted stock, etc.I know of guys who have credited 1500, and I know some credit much less. Reminder to all haters, I said credit, not block.

that being said, I have a friend who is 8th year and only makes in the high 70's or low 80's because he doesn't want to work more than he has to, and another friend who is 3rd or 4th year who will make near 100K (but he works too hard if you ask me).

one less vote for alpa huh, until something happens to you and you need them...wouldn't that be a bitch?

We won't need them. I personally know of no one that has been fired without cause. People talk a lot about the handwriting expert. The results of the lawsuit are not out yet. Worst case scenario the guy wins and gets a lot of money anyways. He didn't need ALPA to get the money if he won. If he lost then the termination was just.

Latest resources

Back