• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest MRJ

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So, while you are in the cockpit flying, you will be able to do the following while flying an aircraft:

You 135 types are awesome, so I'm sure you could do all of this.

yeah we could do most of that or maint could do some, ATC most of the other as far as delays etc, bottom line we don't really need disp

I remember when DX required a plotter, E6B, massive amounts of weather charts, and being surrounded by cantankerous teletypes. Today's DX could be performed by a PPL with an instrument rating.

As for the coolness under stress required during SWAPS and when other abnormalities occur, the same could be said of a fast food worker when an unexpected tour bus pulls into the parking lot.

The FAA will eventually eliminate the requirement for DX. Just like the FE, Navigators, and Radiomen that have gone before them.

I could run a small airline off of fltplan.com in the comfort of my den right now. And I'm 79 years old.

Never overestimate your value to society.

Last edited:
Well said eelb53! Couldn't agree more, think of the savings, wow! cool you flew the 100, England?

I could run a small airline off of fltplan.com in the comfort of my den right now. And I'm 79 years old.

Yes, because I'm sure fltplan.com knows every airlines' OpsSpecs. HAHA, GTFO!

Last edited:
Well said eelb53! Couldn't agree more, think of the savings, wow! cool you flew the 100, England?

Actually, the money spent on having dispatchers is saving the company millions. If it were up to the pilots, not one plane would ever leave the ground. You'd all get guaranteed block and cancelation pay and sit at home all day. And don't try to say otherwise, because the most commonly heard phrase every day is "let's just cancel this flight."

maybe at SKYW (where you're at correct), not at EXJ :) nevah!!!

Hey there's RPVs out there beginning to replace pilot flown fighters and recon birds, only a matter of time disp will be gone, just too much automation and computer programs that can do what you do, or pilots can do, after all, don't you just us software anyway between ebay grazing?

I'm pretty sure they have drone aircraft with no pilots inside them either. Just a computer nerd with a joystick doing it all from the ground. Ebay grazing, huh? You're going to tell me you don't turn on the autopilot and open your USA Today? Let me know when you go back to the good old days of hand-flying every single flight.

So, while you are in the cockpit flying, you will be able to do the following while flying an aircraft:

* Work effortlessly with every other pilot to ensure all scheduled aircraft are routed to their respective maintenance bases, and avoid certain airports, weather, or PAX loads due to restrictive MELs.

* Continuously monitor your local, enroute, destination and alternate weather, notams, airmets, sigmets, pireps, VIP movement, and TFRs.

* Continuously monitor your flights flow times, or other delays, and enter those delays and their respective codes into the reservation system.

* Should you divert, please remember to enter all the coding necessary in the reservation system to reflect your diversion before landing so that the diversion station can accomodate PAX. You will also want to make sure that there will be station operations personnel on-hand when you arrive (hours of ops)

* When repositioning, ferrying or test flying an aircraft, please remember to build those flights into the company's flight planning software in order to build your release.

* Flight plan necessary flights with round-trip fuel in accordance with your company's policy.

* Work with customs and border patrol to ensure you have all of your required paperwork and clearances to operate in international airspace and be able to land and deplane.

* If you decide you need to cancel a flight you will need to contact all parties involved before cancelling that flight in the reservation system.

* When an IROP is in progress, send messages out to the hundreds of people that need to be notified in case the media, FAA, FBI or local authorities need to be involved. This would enclude, but not limited to, making all the phone calls necessary after overrunning a runway, aborting takeoff, bird strikes, lightning strikes, unruly passengers, and sick/ill passengers.

* Work in partnership with all pilots and ATC centers to ensure proper SIDs and STARs are being filed for all flights, including canned and playbook routes.

* When an extreme weather condition shut down a major company hub, coordinate with all pilots to ensure you are all in the cities you should be, with the aircraft necessary, in order to have the operation running like clockwork again once said hub is back up and operational.

These are just a few examples, I could keep going, but I think you get my drift. You 135 types are awesome, so I'm sure you could do all of this.

I misspoke...I meant to say that every Skypest Dipspatcher creams them selves every time they think about how important they are.

* Work effortlessly with every other pilot to ensure all scheduled aircraft are routed to their respective maintenance bases, and avoid certain airports, weather, or PAX loads due to restrictive MELs.

* Continuously monitor your local, enroute, destination and alternate weather, notams, airmets, sigmets, pireps, VIP movement, and TFRs.

* Continuously monitor your flights flow times, or other delays, and enter those delays and their respective codes into the reservation system.

* Should you divert, please remember to enter all the coding necessary in the reservation system to reflect your diversion before landing so that the diversion station can accomodate PAX. You will also want to make sure that there will be station operations personnel on-hand when you arrive (hours of ops)

* When repositioning, ferrying or test flying an aircraft, please remember to build those flights into the company's flight planning software in order to build your release.

* Flight plan necessary flights with round-trip fuel in accordance with your company's policy.

* Work with customs and border patrol to ensure you have all of your required paperwork and clearances to operate in international airspace and be able to land and deplane.

* If you decide you need to cancel a flight you will need to contact all parties involved before cancelling that flight in the reservation system.

* When an IROP is in progress, send messages out to the hundreds of people that need to be notified in case the media, FAA, FBI or local authorities need to be involved. This would enclude, but not limited to, making all the phone calls necessary after overrunning a runway, aborting takeoff, bird strikes, lightning strikes, unruly passengers, and sick/ill passengers.

* Work in partnership with all pilots and ATC centers to ensure proper SIDs and STARs are being filed for all flights, including canned and playbook routes.

* When an extreme weather condition shut down a major company hub, coordinate with all pilots to ensure you are all in the cities you should be, with the aircraft necessary, in order to have the operation running like clockwork again once said hub is back up and operational.

These are just a few examples, I could keep going, but I think you get my drift. You 135 types are awesome, so I'm sure you could do all of this.

Everything you list could be done by the VP of Culture, in their spare time.....

Latest resources

Back