• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest MRJ

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
why do we even have dispatchers, useless bunch, wish the FAA would eliminate them, save a bunch of money, under 135 we basically dispatched ourselves in the past (got our own wx, ordered our fuel, filed flt plans if needed etc etc), think of the cost savings if the FAA eliminated them, this is 2012 man, pilots can do their own dispatching!

Who cares. So fayetnam gets a fancy oversized RJ. It will still be flown to the same mediocre out stations. You will still get a regional wage. You will still fly seven legs a day with reduced rest overnights. They will be ordered stripped down; 1 FMS, No VNAV, No auto throttles, no fancy electric seats, no HUD....etc. They will soon turn into dirty airplanes that will be a mx nightmare until all the bugs get worked out. Etc. man I'm negative.

The short bus just stops at a different location, you want another sticker for your styrofoam helmet?

Dispatchers, the Flight Engineers of the new millennium.
Your relevance to flight operations is diminishing a daily basis. Don't worry you will still be able to come to F/I and be a voyeur.
Ooooo, pretty please...I like stickers and dinosaurs!

You and I tend to agree about OO mismanagement and the fact that employees accept more B.S. than they should. However, regardless of the amount of KoolAid they may drink, crapping all over your fellow employees is more of a sign of someone who loathes himself. It's OK, little buddy. I know you're a little upset that your career didn't quite go "as planned". However, just because you're a little irked with your station in life doesn't mean you've got to drag everyone down to your level of misery. I'm sorry you never made it to the big leagues like you wanted.

I'll be sure to have a beer for you while sitting out on my porch. The porch I sit out on before I sleep in my own bed. The bed in the new, freakin' sweet home I get to come home to from work every day. The job that, at least at the moment, values my skills enough to reward my workgroup with a payscale that likely rivals yours and a significantly more generous benefits than you currently enjoy. I'm happy with what I've got, as do most of the good folks down in SGU. You should try it sometime.

If my relevance diminishes in this industry, such is life. It would probably be at the hands of those we serve, the pilots, anyhow. Maybe our work would actually be appreciated once we were gone. Seeing that the rest of the world that currently does not utilize the skills and knowledge of dispatchers the way we do here in the States are beginning to add the position despite not being required to (see: Air France), I have a hard time believing we'll be going away within my lifetime. That said, if it all goes south, I actually have a skillset that is useful in the real world (and plenty of options from my previous career); my eggs are not all in one basket.

Now, run along and pout somewhere else.

Oh, by the way, ever wonder why you have to swap aircraft so much? There may he a reason for that, buddy...you're not as anonymous as you think.

why do we even have dispatchers, useless bunch, wish the FAA would eliminate them, save a bunch of money, under 135 we basically dispatched ourselves in the past (got our own wx, ordered our fuel, filed flt plans if needed etc etc), think of the cost savings if the FAA eliminated them, this is 2012 man, pilots can do their own dispatching!

Please tell me you're joking. We do enough free work for our companies as it is. If they want to pay us a dispatchers salary on top of what we do now, then fine. Otherwise, I'm fine with printing paperwork. Let the dispatchers do their job.

Do their job? He'll man, the computer program does all the work. Just give access to a terminal and we can request/print he damn release. We can even request & print it out on that expensive SH paper on the planes! See so easy even a caveman can do it, or even 777!

Do their job? He'll man, the computer program does all the work. Just give access to a terminal and we can request/print he damn release. We can even request & print it out on that expensive SH paper on the planes! See so easy even a caveman can do it, or even 777!

It's so cute that you think it's that simple. Even the big international carriers who actually do their flight planning that way (primarily because their routes are not as dynamic as they are in U.S. airspace) have "dispatchers" to check the work. Even if you let a computer do all of the flight planning unchecked, who is going to keep the airline running and make subjective decisions in the name of safety and efficiency?...or, that whole "maintaining operational control" thing?

I love how the most vocal voices calling for our demise seem to have no farkin' clue just how vast the scope of our duties really is...but, hey, we're here for you anyway.

Sorry man, I completely disagree. Dispatchers are a necessary redundancy. Just like having two guys in the cockpit, it's a system of checks and balances.

I'll be sure to have a beer for you while sitting out on my porch. The porch I sit out on before I sleep in my own bed. The bed in the new, freakin' sweet home I get to come home to from work every day. The job that, at least at the moment, values my skills enough to reward my workgroup with a payscale that likely rivals yours and a significantly more generous benefits than you currently enjoy. I'm happy with what I've got, as do most of the good folks down in SGU. You should try it sometime.

To each his own but I'm curious about something. Why would your fellow employee have significantly more generous benefits?

Now, run along and pout somewhere else.

Oh, by the way, ever wonder why you have to swap aircraft so much? There may he a reason for that, buddy...you're not as anonymous as you think.

Wow, are all you SGU DXs that professional? And you just went off an a rant about your fellow employee crapping on other fellow employees yet some of you actually go out of their way to swap people's aircraft for expressing themselves on this forum?

That's pretty pathetic! No one is anonymous by the way.

To each his own but I'm curious about something. Why would your fellow employee have significantly more generous benefits?

Wow, are all you SGU DXs that professional? And you just went off an a rant about your fellow employee crapping on other fellow employees yet some of you actually go out of their way to swap people's aircraft for expressing themselves on this forum?

That's pretty pathetic! No one is anonymous by the way.

I haven't been employed by OO for nearly two years. We are no longer "fellow employees". I will, however, admit that I butchered that sentence.

(Before you ask, I still read this forum and defend my former coworkers because I enjoyed the experience and people there.)

As far as the swapping comment, it was strictly to point out that crapping all over the people who have a significant impact on your day may not be the best idea, especially when you're not as anonymous as you think you are. I could have been more clear in that and am unaware of anything like that happening at OO. I apologize for the lack of clarity.

Nevets, what you do is "express yourself", typically through rational discourse, and without publicly wishing for the demise of anyone without stripes on his shoulder. That is very different from what the poster in question does.

I dont believe any Dispatcher at OO "goes out of their way" to swap anyone. If anything, I see the oppisite. Day in and day out, the coordinator works hard to look for ways to get rid of swaps. I personally have seen system controllers spend countless hours going through the flow board looking at every swap, and seeing if there is a way to undo it. This isnt in their job description. Its extra work that goes largely unnoticed. They do it because they care. They want their co-workers to be as comfortable as possible. Sometimes its thanked, usually its not even noticed.

Latest resources

Back